Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does that fender need to be, to be 29er specific? How wide does such a fender need to be? Does it need to be easily detachable? What other specifics would you recommend? What is a good price tag for a good product that will last for 5 years? Should it be made of metal or plastic? Aluminum or stainless steel?

Here are some recommendations that I have already received;
1. Easy to put on and take off. Probably less than a minute.
2. A system that allows you to adjust the slope of the fender.
3. Once the slope adjustment is locked in place, it stays in place.
4. The clamp that attaches to the seat post doesn't clamp tightly enough to allow the fender to always remain in proper alignment with the tire.
5. Even if I use a rubber strip to wrap the seat post prior to installing the fender clamp, I can't seem to get the clamp tight enough to avoid allowing the fender to occasionally move a bit to the right or left and be out of alignment with the tire.
6. When that happens, it is easy to turn around and realign the fender, but I wish the attachment clamp/mechanism didn't allow this to happen.
7. It would have been nice if they had used a few pieces of sturdy metal on the joints for durability.
8. It clips on to the seat post with a quick release bolt which is nice if you have days when you don't need to use it.

If we can put this product on the market at a reasonable price with a decent warranty would you buy it?

We have a manufacturer here in Dallas that is willing to make such a product for us if you are willing to buy it!! A Trail Ready Bicycle Fender that will last!

Let us know what you think!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been thinking fender because where I ride in the winter the mud is really sticky. My 2.1 tire becomes a 4 or a 5 in minutes. I need a scraper that will keep the mud from building up and it should be on the back of the rear tire so that my frame isn't scraping it off onto brakes and chain. It wouldn't have to be very long either if placed at the right point. Closest example I can think of is the kind of fender that is used on BMW motorcycle adventure models. The leading edge should also be closer to the tire than the trailing edge so the mud doesn't build up between the tire and fender. And ideally it should be adjustable so I can change tire size.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
Dont want aluminum fenders , would much rather have HDPE .
Concured. I don't doubt that aluminum could be made stiff enough, but a thin, light aluminum fender sounds potentially brittle to me. To avoid cracking the fender the user would have to make extra sure that the mount is loose enough to rotate if the bike falls sideways against something or is impacted in any significant way (which could potentially lead to general problems staying in alignment). I'm not even sure HDPE is the right choice either as it seems to be generally stiff and brittle as well. The right plastic would be flexible enough that any vulnerable part of the fender can flex when hit while still allowing the base section to be stiff enough to keep the whole fender from flopping around. Please notice that Planet Bike's full fenders are all made of "Superflex" polycarbonate. Sometimes plastic is the right tool for the job. And as much as you despise this name :)p), CrudCatcher's rear fender seems to do this particular part very well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where I am from there is more standing water and grit than mud when it rains. So a little more on the "full coverage" side would be great. Example SKS's X-blade, but with a little more length on the front portion.

A few more color choices would be nice even with a couple of dollars more in price.

·
Chad
59 Posts
Problem Solved

While I agree with much of the 'want" list. I feel that Crud fenders answer most of my needs. I have HT and FS 29ers with these on and I never take them off. Light Cheap and Tough, how many products in our industry answer all three as well as these?

JMHO-

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I would like a rear fender that attaches to the mono stay instead of my seatpost...so that I'm not always kicking it when I throw my leg over the bike
That would be cool.

AZ.MTNS said:
Dont want aluminum fenders , would much rather have HDPE .
YES.

Ideally the front downtube fender should be like the CrudCatcher but about 6" longer at the bottom.

mtnbiker72 said:
I was thinking the same thing, invisible and full coverage with no mounting hardware :thumbsup:
Invisible would be great! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.