Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Masters' class Clydesdale
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm in the market for a portable workstand and was looking for some input before I make a purchase. If you have one, please let me know what you like/dislike about it. I'm not looking for the fancy expensive gadgets out there but I'd like to refrain from getting stuck with a budget piece of junk as well.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ultimate Stands Recreational stand (BRS-50?). It's cheap, sturdy, and really good. Only problem I have with it is the clutch that controls the angle of the bike needs to be tightened down a lot or heavy or unbalanced bikes don't keep in one spot. You can find them at MEC for 120.

The Toronto bike show is in a couple of weeks... you could always snag a Park Tool basic stand for 100 or less... those come highly recommended as well.

·
Masters' class Clydesdale
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

As a Clyde, my bike is heavier and will be clamped via seat post so rotational stability is important to me. I used a Park PCS 10 this summer - jamming in the headpeice and had to fix it for the guy; otherwise a nice stand. Also used a Veloman - sticking at the clamp where the two tubes slide together to adjust the height; also a nice stand and had to fix that too (I'm seeing a pattern here...) Both times I really didn't evaluate them as I was busy wrenching at the Hot August Nights 24hr race. The issues with the stands I used could be maintenance related.

Has anyone used the Sette ST-7 from Pricepoint? They have a sale on them right now and look a lot like a Park-Veloman-Minoura combo. What I don't like about it is the legs are parallel to the ground - so if I'm on an uneven area (like camping for a race) it could become unstable. I don't know if it can be assembled with the legs inverted like the Veloman - then it looks like it would be good.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=15614&style_id=370 SETSD5 KIT

I know there was a guy on here that's a Pricepoint rep but I forget who he was so I can't ask the leg question.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback! I know you get what you pay for but sometimes the top of the line is more than you need.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
louisssss said:
What do u guys think of the Basic Park PCS-9 Stand? is it worth $87 shipped new?
IMO nope.

I threw mine away cause nobody I know wanted it-clamp sucks, clumsy, heavy, takes up a ton of space, as non portable as it gets, cheaply made etc-read my review on it- and got the ultimate sports pro elite- which is the best I've used. Like night and day.

·
...idios...
5,609 Posts
I threw mine away cause nobody I know wanted it-clamp sucks, clumsy, heavy, takes up a ton of space, as non portable as it gets, cheaply made etc-read my review on it- and got the ultimate sports pro elite- which is the best I've used. Like night and day.
Really? The $250 stand was better than the $100 stand? Come on, get some perspective. Louissss is after a stand for $100, and the Park is pretty good for that sort of price. As some of us have already said: for light/occasional use, the PCS-9 is just fine. My main stand is the Park PRS4W and wouldn't swap it for anything; but I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who can only spend, or only wants to spend, $100.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
moishlashen said:
Yeah, no. I could not disagree with you more. I worked in a shop for many years, and used the excellent Park shop stands. Once I left and started wrenching at home i bought the PCS-9 and it's been great for many years. It's extremely fast to use, holds the bike well, and is durable. I can't really ask for more.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Whats so bad about the Park 9's clamping mechanism? is it a bad idea to have the clamp holding up my bike for months at a time, using the clamp to hold the seatpost/let the saddle hang off the clamp arm (which would u suggest) over the winter?

the stand will be used for occasional adjustments, cleaning, storage. What are the benefits of the $250 stand over this $87 stand?

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
SteveUK said:
Really? The $250 stand was better than the $100 stand? Come on, get some perspective. Louissss is after a stand for $100, and the Park is pretty good for that sort of price. As some of us have already said: for light/occasional use, the PCS-9 is just fine. My main stand is the Park PRS4W and wouldn't swap it for anything; but I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who can only spend, or only wants to spend, $100.
I've got your perspective right here: swingin. :thumbsup:

I paid $189 on sale BTW for a stand that is 10 times better. I'm not Mr high roller fancy pants either just too poor to buy cheap.

I didn't have as foul opinion of the Park until I got the Pro elite. After using it for a day I despised the Park. The clamp is usable but not anywhere near as tight or sure handed as the Ultimate. The 2 leg deal is clumsy to work with if you have to move the stand at all or the bike once on the stand. The plastic clamp holding the 2 vertical parts of the stand together on mine cracked after about a month. I hated it.

If you plan on setting the PCS-9 up and never moving it or the bike it may work for you. I personally think its a waste of money and would save for a better one.

No I don't work for Ultimate or whatever they are now.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
louisssss said:
did u really throw it away, because it has some years of warranty just because u broke the little plastic clamp.

I guess i'll have to wait and see how well my pcs-9 works for basic maintenance.
You may love it-I hope you do and I hope you get many years of service out of it. If a friend asked me what you asked me I would tell them the same thing. I'm not going to blow smoke like SteveUK and say "well if you only have $100 its the best" blah blah blah. I personally think a stand is not something you want to skimp on and I know it first hand. Bad Mechanic I'm sure knows much more about stands and wrenching in general than I ever will so his experience is gold. Key word being experience here. He has one and uses it and loves it. This forum is here to share info and experiences which is what I am doing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.