Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building up a new Turner Sultan DW Link this year to replace my 5-spot. I jumped on the 29er bandwagon with my SS built last year and really took a liking to the big wheels.

However, due to the state of the economy (rising unemployment, stagnant wages, stock market tanking, etc) I'm having second thoughts and its become hard to justify the $2400 for the frame alone. A whole rig would probably be about $5,000, and I don't know about everyone else but I don't like to put hobby purchases on credit cards.

Anyways, what's everyone else building for 2009? Have your plans changed due to the economy? Will you be partying like its 1999 or riding the same rig you had last year and perhaps just upgrading a part here or there?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
10-20 miles of new trail....

I'm not building it, of course. But that's what the KC Trail Stewards are focusing on. When they're done, it will link two existing trail systems and result in an (approximately) 40 mile contigous trail.

We're also looking to build a FR trail at an existing trail and a DJ park at another park.

We're going to build on our MOU with KCMO and finalize another MOU that will result in securing access to the Landahl trails and Blue River trails (about 35 miles) for the next 25 years.

That's what we're building in 2009.

The economy won't affect our builds. In fact, the economy may result in more build requests in 2009.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I like Ken in KC's idea. Getting the shovel in the dirt sounds like a plan.

Also looking at a Ventana X-5. Been slowly collecting parts as I can afford 'em.

JmZ

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re-building a portfolio after a wonderful year in investments (dripping in sarcasm)

Dow Jones Industrial Average (through 12/31/08)
1 year return -33.8%
10 year return -0.5%

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okie Dokie said:
Re-building a portfolio after a wonderful year in investments (dripping in sarcasm)

Dow Jones Industrial Average (through 12/31/08)
1 year return -33.8%
10 year return -0.5%
At least you didn't pump everything into the nasdaq at the peak. 5000 to 1500 = -70% :eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
well ill be rebuilding my 29er SS, i have a gary fisher ferrous frame coming in on warranty, so my parts from my Rig will be going on that frame, ill also be trying it out fixed for a while with a tomicog. and if i dont like it, ill go back to SS

·
Registered
206 Posts
Curtlo

My Plan is to build a Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer 29er. I ordered the Frame about a month and a half ago. I probably Have a few months to go when its done. The bummer is I was laid of and have not worked for 2 months (still looking for a job with the million other folks). So that may be all I build this year. But hopefully I find a descent job and build up a sweet custom ride.:thumbsup:

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Also building up a Rig with the new scandium Race X Lite rims on CK hubs.

XXX lite bars and stem.

Not sure of a crankset yet but the Noir seems like it will go nice with the rest of the bling.

Might go for a White Brothers carbon rigid and see how light I can get a Rig.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.