Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
Original Rovals that came on my '18 Epic. WOrk fine, don't know how much they weigh.

My HT had Valor's, if I go back to racing that bike I'll be on those wheels.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I guess I'm the old school guy here on an aluminum Stan's crest. They've been great in the 3 sets that I've had, with different bikes, over the years.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,584 Posts
On the geared fully, WTB Frequency Team i25's with DT Swiss double butted spokes and old Hope Pro2 hubs.
On the rigid single speed, WTB ST i23 front (Novatec hub) and Arch EX rear (Stan's 3.30 SS hub). The front rim will get replaced with an Arch EX when it dies. The ERD is the same which is nice.
On the gravel bike, WTB Frequency Team i25's (650b) and old A2B XC hubs.

I much prefer the bead shelf on the WTB's over the Stan's one without a lip.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I guess I'm the old school guy here on an aluminum Stan's crest. They've been great in the 3 sets that I've had, with different bikes, over the years.
I have Crest MK3 on my HT right now for my GF to ride, which is what I raced before the Valor's. I like the Crest's just fine, and put some on my old bike.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Old Stans ZTRs with XT m765 hubs and dt dbl butted spokes & allow nipples for years now on the HT. After I'd had it a year the rear nips were starting to break, from what looked like over-tensioned spokes, I replaced with all dt alloy (gold, nos from '91) and it's been perfect. Oem WTB XC21s with Sram hubs on the fs bike. Nothing too fancy for me.
I probably should step up, spend the $$ and get a proper lightweight race wheel for the fs bike, maybe I can beat that one guy that keeps beating me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
On my HT and full suspension I am using EIE Carbon asymmetric rims. Pretty narrow by today’s standards (23.5 internal). DT 240 hubs on the HT. I9 on the full suspension. CX Ray spokes on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have Crest MK3 on my HT right now for my GF to ride, which is what I raced before the Valor's. I like the Crest's just fine, and put some on my old bike.
I have the older version crests on my older trail bike and I don't think they've ever gotten untrue or broke a spoke. The MK3s have been a disaster. I couldn't get them to last a season - always out of true and always breaking spokes. They just went a little too thin with the aluminum I think. Just Riding Along podcast (3 snarky mechanics) had the same exact experience from loving the old ones to hating the new ones. The standard neo hubs have been fine for me. (I weigh 165#, Full suspension)

I upgraded to the XMC 1200s on DT240s. There was a sweet deal on them on eBay for $1100 all last summer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The latest DT Swiss XR1501s Spline One

Apart from their sorta **** geo for the rear hub (less stiff rear wheel), they are absolutely gorgeous in terms of bearing longevity.

Only had to true the rear wheel once after 9000km.

I've done very well in races with these. The front hub is especially awesome because even after muddy and rainy races, whenever I took it apart for servicing the grease I coated on earlier still looks incredibly new and fresh.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
290g 28mm and 28 hole carbon rims with 240 front hub and 180 rear hub. Built with sapim lasers. Just raced hard over 50 miles and high speed rough descents, raced them last season too. These seem to do well for XC. I build my own wheelsets.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have the older version crests on my older trail bike and I don't think they've ever gotten untrue or broke a spoke. The MK3s have been a disaster. I couldn't get them to last a season - always out of true and always breaking spokes. They just went a little too thin with the aluminum I think. Just Riding Along podcast (3 snarky mechanics) had the same exact experience from loving the old ones to hating the new ones. The standard neo hubs have been fine for me. (I weigh 165#, Full suspension)

I upgraded to the XMC 1200s on DT240s. There was a sweet deal on them on eBay for $1100 all last summer.
I can echo your experience with the mk3 Crests. Got some built on Hope Pro 4 hubs and every second ride I was retruing and trying my best to keep them straight. Got 4 months out of them and now they're sitting in the shed doing nothing. Did the same as you, got those DT Swiss XMC wheels on eBay and have been loving them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
3 sets:
DT Swiss XMC 1200s (the 24mm version), upgraded star ratchet
2 sets of carbon hookless hoops (https://www.wheelsfar.com/) laced with sapim cx rays, one set w/240s, the other with 180s.

Love all of them. I'd choose the XMCs again if I didn't want the brain damage of lacing my own wheels. Otherwise the wheelsfar gear is light and durable, and cust service is great. Purchased 4 sets of hoops from them over the past few years and no complaints whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.