Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm doing some research into a new wheelset for my trance X2. I thought I knew what I wanted but am not sure now.

Basicially I want to figure out what's the lightest wheelset that I can get away on the bike. I think I might be going too light.

I'm looking for a set that will do me for XC and trail duties. There are no jumps or anything that rough where I ride really. I've a medium 18" trance X and weight about 68/7 kg or 150lbs ish.

I'm in Ireland and would probably needs parts that I could get here or in the UK or possible an internation shipper.

What do you think?

Hubs: Hope/XTR hubs (light-ish and not that expensive, and reliable? 240s are nice but pricey. these seem to be the most common
Rims, 4.2d, 717, stans 355 even? or something heavier? 719, stans arch?
Spokes: DT comp, rev, supercomp. How about CX-ray? Could I get away with the Revs? I have found it hard to find builders using the sapim spokes

Thought I'd ask similar owners to see what they are running. Thanks for the help/info

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I’m running the stock wheelset on my Trance X, solid and reliable but out of the choices I’d definitely take Hope hubs, if you want to save weight go for the ProIII with straight pull spokes, XTR needs a Shimano disc or an adaptor and I don’t think the sealing on the hub is good enough. I’d take the Mavic rims too, the 717’s if your not doing jumps of anything too rough, they’re definitely better than DT Swiss but I don’t know about Stans.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i'm running 240s' on mavic 819's with pro-lock nips and revolution spokes on my trance.
i weigh 175lbs and have had zero issues with the revo spokes - heck i'm running them on my 6" mini DH bike without issue as well in typical U.S. southwest desert terrain, very rocky and unforgiving.

have the wheels built by a good builder and you should be fine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Check out the deal at Wiggle on the Hope built Pro 3 disc hubs and DT Swiss 4.2d rims with DT Super Comp spokes. The set weighs in at 1620 grams. I got them shipped for $425 shipped to the U.S. so you should be able to beat that being in the U.K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check those out Anthem 1

I'm looking for a 15QR or 20mm compatability too as I might change my fork, or should I say change the lowers of my Fox F120 to a 15QR, they are currently 9mm qr.

I agree that some people seem to be shy away from the Rev spokes, I see the occasional person that useses the like yourself 'size with no problems and hammers away on them, and think why are more people not using them?

The CX-Ray spokes are nice but very expensive really, pity.

EGF 168, you reckon that the 717s are a sturdier wheel than the 4.2s? It's question that I've always wanted to ask about. 4.2s are very popular with Hope and i9 etc

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
I'm using the Stans 355 rim on my Trance X. I have them laced to Industry Nine hubs with DT Swiss Revolutions with Proloc nipples. The 355 served as a great trail rim all season. However, I'd be cautious about the rim width though, depending on what size tires you like to run. If you like high volume 2.4 tires, you might want to look at a wider rim, because the 355 with round out the profile considerably. Another thing to watch out for is your riding location. I ride the same technical trails Adam Craig grew up riding here, they're hard, but its flat as can be. If your riding equally demanding terrain (be honest with yourself...) but with long high speed descents, you might outride the 355 when hammering rocks at speed. As for the hub, your on your own. I've owned dt swiss, hadley, and chris king; I love having 120 points of engagment with my I9's and can't see going back to any of the other three again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also been looking at specalized traversee,

they seem super light and billed as all mountain (ish) they might fit my bill.

however I've a for F120 and was considering converting it to a QR 15.

I don't know if the traversee does a QR 15 conversion, I only see 9, 20 and 25 mm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya that was my other option.

Keep my stock wheels, WTB laser disk trail (500g) and DT 370 hubs set at just over 2000g - should be tough enough for everythingright? opinions? (could always swap the front hub for a hope for changing axles)

then get a light set built, hope/XTR and stans 355/4.2D/717 possible Rev spokes too.

I really like the idea of interchangable hubs, suppose the Roval traversee was an attempt at a one wheel set to rule them all, bloody light too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.