Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Washington State we had the Leavenworth Bike and Brew Race a couple of weeks ago. Its part of the Indie Series and it wasnt any special endurance race it was just a "mountain bike race". It has three laps in expert covering 25.8 miles. The total climb was 4800 feet. The first place Open guy covered it in 1:55.

Almost all of our races here probably have some climbing. The Norba races I know have a lot of climbing. Any others that top 5000 or so for 25 miles?

·
Dirt Whore
297 Posts
Tour De Tykes in Pa a few weeks ago, I did the sport loop which was 3600 Feet of Climbing in 14 Miles.

The Expert loop was 18.5 miles with 4700 Feet of climbing.

It totatly changes the dynamic of the race, I finished ahead of some riders who usually finish ahead of me on the flater coarses, I think a lot of racers burned themselves out early or were not as good at climbing.

·
2,856 Posts
petersbike said:
The 24 hours of Steamboat had over 2000 feet of climbing every 10 miles( one lap). The winner did 16 laps solo for ~ 32000 feet of climbing.
Ah, but is Steamboat one of them there "special endurance events" or "just a mountain bike race".

Cause if you take a look at the TBIL race, the climbing was.......well perhaps we should let borregokid provide some guidance on what races qualify.

Ed E

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Cascade Cream Puff has 18,000 feet of climbing but is a total endurance event limited to 110 riders, so that might have the most climbing unless someone knows of another race. I was kind of interested in state series races that had a lot of climbing. Tour De Tykes sounds similar to our Freund Canyon race although I see on their web site they only claim 4000 feet of climbing for experts.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
The Wildflower Rush in Crested Butte, CO. 10 mile laps. Claim of 1800 ft per lap. Pros and Experts do 3 laps. Pros around 2:20 for top times. Experts around 2:40

The kicker is that the start of the race is above 9000 ft.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
mtbfool said:
The Wildflower Rush in Crested Butte, CO. 10 mile laps. Claim of 1800 ft per lap. Pros and Experts do 3 laps. Pros around 2:20 for top times. Experts around 2:40

The kicker is that the start of the race is above 9000 ft.
Only two days until the Wildflower! Yippee!

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
borregokid said:
In Washington State we had the Leavenworth Bike and Brew Race a couple of weeks ago. Its part of the Indie Series and it wasnt any special endurance race it was just a "mountain bike race". It has three laps in expert covering 25.8 miles. The total climb was 4800 feet. The first place Open guy covered it in 1:55.

Almost all of our races here probably have some climbing. The Norba races I know have a lot of climbing. Any others that top 5000 or so for 25 miles?
Off Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell: 64 miles, ~13,000' climbing. took me 8:50 to complete (putting me 3rd in my age group and middle of the pack for women overall). winning male finished in just over 5 hrs. i can't even imagine doing it that fast.

looks like this year's assault will be back down to it's original 55 miles & 11,000' climbing. sooo much easier. :rolleyes:

most climbing for an XC race (25-35 mi) would probably be in the 3-4K range.

rt

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mt. Washington Hill Climb. Done it 6 times. Gains ~4800' as it climbs to the highest point in the east at 6288' Doesn't sound like much until you realize that 4800' comes in 7.6 miles!! Average grade is 12% sections of 18% continue for over a mile and the finish is a thigh busting 22%. The last third of the race is above tree line. Most folks do it on regeared rd bikes or mtn bikes with slicks (the dirt sections, approx 40% is really hard packed). My best time was 1:12 which put me in the top 50 of 650. Tom Danielson and Tyler Hamilton have done sub-50min times! Tyler won an Audi A4 two times! This used to be a really good race. However, the race organizers got REALLY GREADY when they saw how fast the race was selling out each year. They rased the entry fee from $100 (which was quite stiff for such a short race) to $300!!!
BASTARDS! (I'd like to use other explitives but the post would probably be deleted).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Dville is I think 28 miles with...4,413' ascent / 5,692' descent. The Pro winner is coming in around 1:50 to 2:00.

·
Registered
186 Posts
used2Bhard said:
I sure do love getting up at 4:00 AM to eat breakfast....
For the Norba Nats up at Schweitzer ID a few years ago, they used to run the experts early too. I'd get up around 5am & eat breakfast, then go back to sleep for a couple of hours (set at least two different alarms ;)). Of course I was shacking up in nice condo right on the XC course & could ride to the start in 3 minutes. Racing early there was welcome though since the afternoon temps were usually pretty high.

DP

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
the Idyllwild Spring Challenge in Idyllwild, CA had right about 7000 feet in 27 miles. Its the most i have seen in that distance and it was HELLA technical. Took me 3:36 to complete on my single speed, including a flat and totally bonking after running out of food and watrer @ mile 15.
most insane and fun race i've ever done. cant wait till next year!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Deer Valley Norba course this weekend supposedly was 2300' gain per 7 mile lap. I don't think it felt like that much. Anyway the pros did 4 laps in around 2 hr 20 mins. By the given numbers, 28 miles with 9200' of climbing.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
carsonwick said:
The Deer Valley Norba course this weekend supposedly was 2300' gain per 7 mile lap. I don't think it felt like that much. Anyway the pros did 4 laps in around 2 hr 20 mins. By the given numbers, 28 miles with 9200' of climbing.
I agree. I don't think that course has 2300 ft per lap. Not unless you count ever little rise you roll over during the descents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.