Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what were your favorite rims??

or is?

i had a set of bontrager rims that were a box design (square profile) that were bullet-proof. (outfitted with some phil wood hubs)
(cira '91-'92)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Zanetti said:
Trek/Matrix Mt Aero -- 410 grams each. :D
Mavic 231's were so hottt.....they made Fisher FatTraxx tires look absolutely HUGE....

but then the 231's were eclipsed by the dark grey Mavic 217 SUP's.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
misctwo said:
Mavic 231's were so hottt.....they made Fisher FatTraxx tires look absolutely HUGE....

but then the 231's were eclipsed by the dark grey Mavic 217 SUP's.
What about M261's then....those were some fatty rims.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll second the RM-20 Hard Anno.

Seems like most of the bikes I lusted after in the late 80's had them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
WTB Powerbeam.
I ran one up front for awhile, then switched to a 217 Ceramic, and was shocked by how much flexier the217 was. The only drawback was the brake seam, but a little sanding took care of that.

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
uphiller said:
WTB Powerbeam.
I ran one up front for awhile, then switched to a 217 Ceramic, and was shocked by how much flexier the217 was. The only drawback was the brake seam, but a little sanding took care of that.
Second those WTB Powerbeams, mine are from late '96, but the sidewall is wearing a fair bit on the rear. Light and strong.

I have also run Araya RM-20's and Mavic 217's which have both been pretty durable. The RM-20's are now ridden by my brother, pretty good for a set of rims dating from 1990.

Half the trick is getting a decent wheel builder, one of the reasons why the WTB's have held up for so long is that they were built by a mech who knew how to build a wheel, sadly he went of out business. That is really is another skill to learn, the art of wheel building. Who builds their own wheelsets on this forum?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Specialized wheels,black or gray anodized with Wheelsmith spokes. Been using them for years and they are still true.Maybe one bent spoke from a rock or branch but these are still true.
I also like Matrix wheels and RM-20s and RM-17s.

I've built my own rims,both for my track bikes and mountain bikes years ago.Looks like I'll be starting up again.

·
Combat Wombat
1,718 Posts
I have a set.

uphiller said:
WTB Powerbeam.
I have a wheelset built up with these using XT hubs and DT 14 gauge spokes. I think I bought them in 97-98 sometime. Bulletproof. I was active duty Navy then, so they did not see much use. I am getting ready to build up a 99 GT Zaskar frame that I have and will put these wheels on it.

Brian

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Araya RM395s, Sun C16 Chinooks, Wolber AT18s, Sun CR17As.

·
He be a moose too.
2,165 Posts
Mavic 231's for sure.

I ordered a pair of 231's once and they sent 261's. Told them I didn't want them and to send a pickup tag. They said, '"But the 261's are more expensive, so why not keep them?" Said, "Nope, only want the 231's" They lasted for a long, long time.

Penguin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts