Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This falls under the true passion catagory in my book. After reading another thread I wondered what have you done to help out the MTB sport? I'm not talking about the illegal rake-n-ride trail you built on private property with out permisson :nono:

Personally, in the last year I have started an IMBA affiliate chapter of the SORBA club (Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association). The GATR's have 2 local trails located in County parks and a 3rd on the way to advocate for. After a year now the GATR chapter has been fun, productive and still growing.

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
184 Posts
Not as impressive as SSINGA - well done SSINGA! But here goes:

1. Went down to City Hall to protest a trail that was being threatened to be closed. Donated a small amount of money to that cause. Got four buddies to go down there with me to fight the man.

2. Bought a cool "Save The Trail" T-Shirt.

3. Got several friends started and now addicted to mountain biking.

4. Slowed down for several Horses.

5. Broke 100 useless posts on The Turner Forum :)

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
At the risk of patting myself on the back, I take a go at this...

How about the legal rake-n-ride trails I helped maintain with permission? This was to help out our local race promoter get the race course ready for our local X-C & 24 hour extravaganzas.

Renewed my IMBA membership

Helped maintain trails in a local park

Been respectful of other trail users

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I'm a member of IMBA & CORBA, and I'm a certified trail builder/maintainer by California State Parks. I've put about 6 full days of work into local trails in 2007 so far, which is more than most of you will do in your lifetime. I probably did about 20 days in 2006. I've also been involved in the Santa Monica Mountains TMP process, which will lead to hunderds more miles of trails open to bikes.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I'm a member of IMBA & CORBA, and I'm a certified trail builder/maintainer by California State Parks. I've put about 6 full days of work into local trails in 2007 so far, which is more than most of you will do in your lifetime. I probably did about 20 days in 2006. I've also been involved in the Santa Monica Mountains TMP process, which will lead to hunderds more miles of trails open to bikes.
Don't forget how you have contributed so positively to this forum, making friends and impressing people with your sparkling wit and conversation everywhere you go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mostly, I feel like I'm single handedly keeping the industry in business with my breakage of bling. Other than that, I've introduced several friends and co-workers to the sport, including a couple of members of the opposite sex (even dH will admit that this is important), all of whom are still riding regularly. I also help out on trail work days (about 4 hours a month) on the local trail systems, which doesn't sound like much but really cuts into the little riding time that I have.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i was just recently given the coveted MSP "borderline illiterate, usually wrong advice award" as well as the BA "wannabe golden service cross" so ive obviously reached hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of mtbr readers and duely recognized by 2 of mountain bikings most prolific contributors. glad i too can somehow find a way to give back to the sport i love. so does that come with a plaque or a certificate i can frame?

but seriously, ive not done my part to maintain trails other than not treat them, their govenors or their users like crap. i always plan to grab a axe and shovel but i never seem to make it happen so my biggest thanx to those of you who do. i have given my all to the sport by other means over the last 15 years as a honest retailer, mechanic, racer, ride guide, volunteer, teacher, announcer and endless promoter of sorts. i hope that counts for all those who follow the same path. almost everyone does something that deserves a thank you.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
On more than a single occasion I have ridden with a large group of people and ensured their hydration with ample amounts of beer, post ride. I have done my fair share of drinking out of somebody else's cooler as well! I have done my best to keep up the true spirit of the mountain bikers and not let it be overwhelmed by the rodie attitude! I have shared the best of times with many on our mountain biking escapades and many low points during some unfortunate moments.

I think we all can feel accomplished to contribute amply to the mountain biking community by our membership and counsel right here at MTBR.

And I did spend a few of my days volunteering my time to help build trails. I have scouted new lines on some of my favorrite trails (this, probably, is not a contribution to the mountain biking community as a whole, rather, to my most immediate riding companions). I have filled the pockets of many retailers and have filled the wallets of many who needed to get rid of some bike parts to be able to fill pockets of more retailers with purchases of their own!

Cheers and ride on fellas!

_MK

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Worked on miles of illegal singletrack and spent hundreds of hours digging dirtjumps on public land. Much of which has appeared in oblivious ride reports on the norcal forum.

I also joined a group of advocates here in an effort to get a ski area to open a bike park.

And I now drink fat tire after learning just how willing new belgium brewery is to help out the mtb community. It can be rough.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
You forgot, condecending a hole:p

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
You really otta try New Belgium's

kidwoo said:
And I now drink fat tire after learning just how willing new belgium brewery is to help out the mtb community. It can be rough.
Blue Paddle Pilsner and Sunshine Wheat Beers. That's how I help out. Isn't North* in your area? Is that no longer open? I grew up in Norcal and it seems like Kirkwood would have the best terrain for a bike park. What Ski Area would you prefer if it was up to you?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Alpenglow said:
Blue Paddle Pilsner and Sunshine Wheat Beers. That's how I help out. Isn't North* in your area? Is that no longer open? I grew up in Norcal and it seems like Kirkwood would have the best terrain for a bike park. What Ski Area would you prefer if it was up to you?
Actually northstar is really good due to it being such a crappy flat ski hill. They didn't open last summer due to construction but they've stated they will this year.

The other good ski hill is the one we're working on because it has slightly better dirt and more natural rock features.:D

Not a fan of the wheats but I dig the blue paddle. Those guys have given us an offer we can't refuse for a fundraiser. I'm a fan.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,621 Posts
I yelled at pissy equestrians who thought they owned the trail.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Jayem said:
I yelled at pissy equestrians who thought they owned the trail.
Pissy or shitty?

_MK

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
rroeder said:
You deserve a medal for drinking that stuff :)
THEIR WILLINGNESS TO SUPPORT THE MTB COMMUNITY!!!!!!!

yeah I know

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.