Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001??? That's my guess. This medium frame was owned by Maxine Irving, and possibly raced during the 1967 season. It's been sitting in my friend's garage for the past 5-6 years, ridden once a year.

My pro photog skills at work here, focused on the rag...

I thought the brake adapter was a particularly interesting piece...

So for the purposes of selling this thing, it's safe to say that travel on this is 6 inches? It's got an early vintage PUSH'd Vanilla RC with the race tune. Classic stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dunno what year but it's early.

Should be in a Museum! :)

Interesting to see Turner's use of a 'Burrito' back in time...

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
I'd say 2001 also. A friend had a small '01 with the same ht/dt junction gussets and bolt on rear brake mount. Looks like the steeper rockers too. Nice frame.

·
Registered
691 Posts

The rear cutouts on the brake tabs are sweet............and crack. Hard to find those cause most of them are broken. Looks alot like my 2002 but it's on 01. Great bike hope someone buys it and rides the piss out of it.:)

·
Registered
505 Posts
There's a few interesting things to note about this frame.

The head tube without the ridge at the bottom suggests 2001/02, but there are no ISCG tabs on the frame which you'd expect a 2001/02 frame to have.

The machining of chain stay link where it bolts to the frame also looks like a 5 Spot/XCE item and not a RFX version, so I'd say someone in the past has experimented with the suspension setup.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tassie Devil said:
There's a few interesting things to note about this frame.

The head tube without the ridge at the bottom suggests 2001/02, but there are no ISCG tabs on the frame which you'd expect a 2001/02 frame to have.

The machining of chain stay link where it bolts to the frame also looks like a 5 Spot/XCE item and not a RFX version, so I'd say someone in the past has experimented with the suspension setup.
Good points here. This is why I wonder about final travel on this frame. My friend has owned the frame for about 7 years and never modified anything, but Maxine may have done some tweaking if she(possibly) raced on this bike.

I'm also curious why the brake mounts were made modular since there are no canti tabs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Good points here. This is why I wonder about final travel on this frame. My friend has owned the frame for about 7 years and never modified anything, but Maxine may have done some tweaking if she(possibly) raced on this bike.

I'm also curious why the brake mounts were made modular since there are no canti tabs.
Hey I ride a frame like that!!

Definitely an '01, ISCG tabs were on the '02 as well as a thicker head tube (DHR). 01 has the bolt on rear brake adapter as well. Chain stay machining matches the vintage as well.

Travel on the frame depended on the rockers you had, there were 3 in all, a 5" rocker and 2x6" rockers which varied the geo.
If the shock is the original 7.5x2 size then it's 6" of travel, and those rockers look to me to offer a lower BB then the alternate version (can't remember right now which one was labelled A or B) as I'm using them now on my setup.
The alternate rocker raised up the BB and could give more travel (6.75") if you used a 2.25 stroke shock. This seemed to work best with a longer travel fork but I never liked the taller BB.

Canti's were a clamp on option at the time but I never ordered a set.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Bought my XCE new in '03 (correction '02 - just checked the receipt) with the same brake adapter. A friend bought an XCE 6 months later and the tabs were welded in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HubbaMan said:
Hey I ride a frame like that!!

Definitely an '01, ISCG tabs were on the '02 as well as a thicker head tube (DHR). 01 has the bolt on rear brake adapter as well. Chain stay machining matches the vintage as well.

Travel on the frame depended on the rockers you had, there were 3 in all, a 5" rocker and 2x6" rockers which varied the geo.
If the shock is the original 7.5x2 size then it's 6" of travel, and those rockers look to me to offer a lower BB then the alternate version (can't remember right now which one was labelled A or B) as I'm using them now on my setup.
The alternate rocker raised up the BB and could give more travel (6.75") if you used a 2.25 stroke shock. This seemed to work best with a longer travel fork but I never liked the taller BB.

Canti's were a clamp on option at the time but I never ordered a set.
Great info. The spring on the shock is a 2.25"(pic above) but I guess I'd need to measure the shock shaft to be sure.

So are you saying the rockers are actually labeled? Where should I look?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Great info. The spring on the shock is a 2.25"(pic above) but I guess I'd need to measure the shock shaft to be sure.

So are you saying the rockers are actually labeled? Where should I look?
Not 5" rockers based on the pics of my old 6 Pack. Those look like "B" rockers if you look at picks from the Rocker thread. The cut-out goes over the pivot bolt which = 6" B rocker.

Rocker mounted is the 5" RFX rocker. It has a much longer cut-out section than what's on your bike.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
881 Posts
Could also be either 00' or 01'.

Frame looks a lot like mine and I was told it was a 00'.

Nice frame!!
;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts