Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i know many of you are going to tell me the whole bike but untill money allows i am gonna do what i can to this., it is a 2008 specialized hardrock. I am wanting to do urban on. i am also gonna do some trails and sidewalks with my wife so for now i am gonna keep it a multi speed. i thought about just keeping the middle gear up front though to eliminate some of the moving parts. I also think i want to get a shorter seat tube as i can get the stock one very low at all. Also what size tires are preferred for urban? yes i am fairly new to all this stuff. any other upgrades you guys can think of? P.S. i am not gonna be taking any 5' drops for a while so keep that in mind and thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Hardrock isn't bad but I don't think it's ideal for jumping or agressive riding. I had a 2004 Hardrock Pro in 17", rode mostly light jumps some trails, nothing really crazy. Took the bike to local bmx park and after a few sessions crashed hard enough to break my collar bone.

The bike isn't really to blame but it feels more like you are over the front tire than a dirt jump frame so be careful if you try anything aggressive. I never noticed this before but I recently bought a Giant STP and after riding the new bike then going back to the old bike, amazing difference. The STP feels so much more shorter and you sit father back.

If you are going to keep the Hardrock I would shorten the stem to the shortest possible. I think mine was somewhat longer even tho the frame was a medium. Beyond that I'm not sure how to suit a cross country bike better for urban.

Anyways, if you are going to ride the Hardrock it's a good frame, if you do break it, Specialized will replace the frame. I know from first hand. :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/rfreiberger/Bicycles/photo#5218631995598637218

·
Registered
88 Posts
My friend has a hardrock that he rides fairly aggressively and he is not a small guy. He did 4 foot drops to flat on concrete with it, and still rides it to class everyday. So I think the frame will be fine for urban. As far as upgrades, I'm not sure. He had a marz dj 1 on it. I didn't like it when I rode, but I am a lot lighter than he is.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
dubs chops said:
...I also think i want to get a shorter seat tube as i can get the stock one very low at all.
cut the bottom off of it and it will be able to drop all the way...

dubs chops said:
Also what size tires are preferred for urban?
generally a tire between 1.9(small side) and 2.3(large side)...

dubs chops said:
yes i am fairly new to all this stuff. any other upgrades you guys can think of
as short a stem that is possible yet somewhat comfortable. something between 35mm and 50mm. maybe a bashring or a whole chainguide...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
cut the bottom off of it and it will be able to drop all the way...

generally a tire between 1.9(small side) and 2.3(large side)...

as short a stem that is possible yet somewhat comfortable. something between 35mm and 50mm. maybe a bashring or a whole chainguide...
sorry to be a pain but could you post some links for me to what you would reccomend? also on tire size what about heighth?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
it doesn't sound like your going to abuse this bike, but a couple years ago I watched my buddy 50/50 a 10ft double and snap his chain stay in half.

The hardrock wasn't meant for jumping or abuse. just keep that in mind

·
Registered
555 Posts
You are going to want new rims and fork, also tires, those are the main weak point for what you are going to do, especialiiy if you are learning

·
Registered
722 Posts
dubs chops said:
sorry I meant like 24",26", Etc.
For the hardrock it comes stock with 26 inch wheels so you should stick to buy 26 inch tires and tubes. Recommended tires for urban are tires with very few fat knobs. Examples would be:
Maxxis Holly Roller
Intense Micro Knobby
and many more you can look in the show off your bike thread to see more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.