Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a $500 budget, and looking to upgrade one or more components, and I am wondering what everyone would recommend!

I live in Arizona, ride mostly XC flowy singletrack.

I am thinking upgrades that shave some weight off without sacrificing durability might be the most advantageous for my every day riding benefit.

My Current setup:

2008 Medium Ellsworth Truth
Fork: Fox F100 Terralogic 100mm
Rear Shock: Rockshox MCD
Shifters: SRAM X9 9spd
Front & Rear: SRAM X9 9spd
Crankset: Raceface DEUS XC
Handlebars & Stem: Raceface DEUS XC
Headset: Cane Creek
Brakes: Avid mechanical BB7 brakeset , Avid brake levers
Wheelset: 26" Mavic Cross MAX SL wheelset
Seatpost: Kind Shock Lev Drop Post

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most people seem to recommend wheels if you're looking for the largest performance improvement for your money.

I'm currently try to decide on some Chinese carbon 29er wheels. They seem to get pretty good reviews and can be purchased for right around $500 from lite bicycle and eBay.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Most people seem to recommend wheels if you're looking for the largest performance improvement for your money.

I'm currently try to decide on some Chinese carbon 29er wheels. They seem to get pretty good reviews and can be purchased for right around $500 from lite bicycle and eBay.

+1 for chinese carbon

alternately take some classes to improve your technique (your gear is already pretty good)

XT hydro brakes (right around 200 from bluesky).

If it is mostly XC I dont know if you need a FS. A chinese carbon hardtail frame is around $450 shipped and would drop pounds.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Buy a single speed and ride it every other day. Bikes direct has some for $300, I built mine from an old hardtail frame. It has done more for my riding faster, hands down, than anything else. I've been mostly riding single speed for a month and a half, but got back on my trail bike yesterday and was flying up hills with ease that used to leave me struggling and winded. That bike has actually had more weight added to it (burlier wheelset and grippy tires) and it was still so much easier to climb on.

Wide handlebars also make a huge difference, I was immediately blown away by how much more control I had. I'm running 720mm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah I thought about new wheelset, but the mavix crossmax sl is a pretty well respected and solid wheelset.

Additionally I am running 26" wheels... Unlike a lot of people, I tried the 29's, and they just are not for me!

Thanks for the suggestion though..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy a single speed and ride it every other day. Bikes direct has some for $300, I built mine from an old hardtail frame. It has done more for my riding faster, hands down, than anything else. I've been mostly riding single speed for a month and a half, but got back on my trail bike yesterday and was flying up hills with ease that used to leave me struggling and winded. That bike has actually had more weight added to it (burlier wheelset and grippy tires) and it was still so much easier to climb on.

Wide handlebars also make a huge difference, I was immediately blown away by how much more control I had. I'm running 720mm.
I am running 26" tires, and it looks like most people that go with wider handlebars are also running 29's. Is there benefit with wider handlebars and 26's, and going with wider handlebars will at best keep the weight the same, at worst increase weight?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both my bikes are 26" and both have wider handlebars. Check out the all mountain section and you will see most have converted and love it. It gives you much more control and stability, shifts your weight forward for better cornering and climbing, and opens your chest up allowing your lungs to work more efficiently. I'm running these bars and it doesn't look like you will gain any weight over what you've got now:

Oozy "Limited Edition" Bar

Personally, I think there are places where extra weight is justified because of the performance it gives you. Tires and ergos are top of that list. Things like cranks, hardware, brake rotors, etc, lighter would always be better as long as it holds up but I will be faster with my sticky tires and wide handlebar any day of the week, even if the bike weighs 1 lb more.

You have decent equipment already, and weight savings isn't all that until you get to higher level racing IMO. Just like people talk about losing weight off the rider being more beneficial than off the bike, getting stronger does the same thing. Riding a single speed for a month or 2 is like adding a supercharger to your other bike, I promise :)

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,770 Posts
A kegerator & a keg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both my bikes are 26" and both have wider handlebars. Check out the all mountain section and you will see most have converted and love it. It gives you much more control and stability, shifts your weight forward for better cornering and climbing, and opens your chest up allowing your lungs to work more efficiently. I'm running these bars and it doesn't look like you will gain any weight over what you've got now:

Oozy "Limited Edition" Bar

Personally, I think there are places where extra weight is justified because of the performance it gives you. Tires and ergos are top of that list. Things like cranks, hardware, brake rotors, etc, lighter would always be better as long as it holds up but I will be faster with my sticky tires and wide handlebar any day of the week, even if the bike weighs 1 lb more.

You have decent equipment already, and weight savings isn't all that until you get to higher level racing IMO. Just like people talk about losing weight off the rider being more beneficial than off the bike, getting stronger does the same thing. Riding a single speed for a month or 2 is like adding a supercharger to your other bike, I promise :)
Awesome well rounded and thorough response! Well done and much appreciated sir! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get rid of your mechanical disc brakes. Go to hydraulic!
I don't like this debate... ;-)

I dont like to bleed my brakes on my car, sure as hell dont want to be doing it on my bike.

Avid BB7 mechanicals are solid brakes, lets leave the debate at that... ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts