Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running a maxxis lust high roller up front and a maxxis lust ignitor on the rear and i want to change to something lighter at both ends. Ideally around a 2.1 or so and i will still run tubeless. Lots of weight to save in this area and thats the reason for the change. I do like the feel of the tyres i currently run.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Actually....

if you intend to stick with a UST tire, there really isn't allot of weight to be saved. Average weights for a 2.1" UST tires run in the 600 to 700g range, + or - a few grams. You could go with a standard tire and run it tubeless with a sealant and likely save up to 100g. But your getting into very thin easily damaged sidewalls, and tire beads that may or may not work well tubeless. Tubeless ready tires can save a bit of weight compared to UST tires, but again they've got to save that weight somewhere, and it's not just the inner rubber lining where it's done. At least not on the sub 600g tires. Also keep in mind that the lighter the tire the more pressure you'll usually have to run to keep the tire stable. So if you are into running sub 30psi pressures, you may be negating that advantage going lighter as well. So how much weight are you looking to save?

In my experience running sub 600g UST, Tubeless Ready, or Standard tires has some serious drawbacks. And it's tire durability that usually suffers.

There are plenty of tires out there that weigh under 600g. But I would seriously consider the terrain that you ride and your riding style before jumping into something much lighter than what you've got. That will also make a big difference in the recommendations for specific tires that you'll get as well.

Good Dirt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts