Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types do you have. Specify what it is like XC, Freeride, etc. What type of bike would be good to have for most trails in new jersey?

·
JORBA
364 Posts
2 DH Dual
1 Freeride dual....I ride this XC all the time
1 XC Hardtail
1 Hardtail S/S
1 Rigid tandem

so many bikes so little time.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1 Hardtail
1 Softtail
1 Full suspension (being built)

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Dekerf Softail, with both a suspension fork (100mm travle) and rigid, depending on my mood
Turner RFX, with 5" rockers (for all around riding) and Pike fork (95mm-130mm) as well as 6" rockers should I feel like going to Diablo or Plattekill. I also have a 6" dual crown fork just in case.

For the last year I've been using the Dekerf way more. Its almost 9 lbs lighter (11 with the rigid fork), and just suits the mood I've been in, probably because I've been riding 30+ pound full suspension bikes for so long, its a great change of pace. I have no trouble riding this bike anywhere, although occassionally on some trails (one or two at Mahlon, a few descents at Allamuchy, and Ringwood) I wish for the Turner, but I find if I slow my speed a bit its not a big deal. The last time I rode the Turner at Chimney Rock, I actually felt myself wishing I had the Dekerf!

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
a hardtail singlespeed - x/c use (i ride this 99% of the time since i have built it up - i take it to places like hartshorne, chimney rock, lewis morris, deer park, mahlon).

and...

a stumpjumper that has some beefed up travel (5 inches front and back) for my occasional trips to the sourlands or ringwood for some more aggressive x/c (i guess this is what people have been calling "all mountain" riding?).

·
www.mtbnj.com
494 Posts
2006 Giant Trance 2. Not too sure about category label, but it's mine - :thumbsup:

4 in. front and back. Nice component spec, climbs and descends very well, great overall bang for your buck. Nicely balanced bike, and have been using it at Allamuchy and Mahlon Dickerson, with the only limitaion being my fitness level.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
3 different bikes

Independent Fabrication custom steel Hardtail :

Built for me so it fits great and is equiped with lightweight components. A true XC race bike more suited to rolling terrain without a lot of rocks and roots. Fast and quick to react to input but don't expect an overly plush ride. Works great on rail trails too and I don't mean that as a put down.

Santa Cruz Chameleon aluminum Hardtail:

Equiped with a 5.5" Pike fork, 2.5" tires and 8" discs, this bike is built for technical riding. Even without full suspension, it rolls over rocks and drops many other bikes only dream of and the wide, high volume tires provide a surprising amount of suspension on their own. It is the kind of bike that really makes you doubt the need for the complications of a full suspension ride. The geometry is decidedly relaxed which makes for a really "fun" bike. Its not light but for a bike that I've used at Diablo, the 32 lbs or so is not bad. This is the bike I would use for an all day epic ride.

Giant OCR Comp 1:

Carbon Fibre Road Bike. Not much more to add. Light and fast and built for, well, the road. Full Ultegra with FSA Carbon Cranks, carbon stem, carbon bars and a Mavic Ksyrium wheelset. Not as light as a true race bike but plenty light for the rest of us.

·
Registered
257 Posts
my rides

My Bikes:

1 - PISSOFF Custom 29er Ti SS

2 - On-One 29er Steel SS

Wifes Bikes

1 - PISSOFF Custome 26 Ti SS

2 - Scalpel 2000 with Headshock

and a couple very nice road bikes for each of us

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
main ride: 6" travel dual suspension (2004 prototype turner six pack, 30lbs)
masochistic ride for strength training: bianchi SASS w/suspension fork. 32-18
race bike (not that i race all that much! ): 4" travel dual suspension. (2006 racer x 25lbs)

sold my road bike..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sadly for reasons way beyond my control, none of these are being ridden right now:

Ventana El Capitan w/ Carbon Lefty 29er 4" travel FS bike
Cannondale Prophet 4000
Vulture custom steel rigid 29er SS
Cannondale Six/13
Ventana El Concquistador FS mountain Tandem
Cannondale Gemini
1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bikes

Prophet 4000-Trail bike -good all around for New Jersey
Currently Dreaming about-Single Speed. I can't decide how to go. I keep coming back to the Surly Pugsly just for laughs. I want to get something very different. Comfortable and easy handling.
Anybody have some recommendations?
Brendan

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Brendan said:
Currently Dreaming about-Single Speed. I can't decide how to go. I keep coming back to the Surly Pugsly just for laughs. I want to get something very different. Comfortable and easy handling.
Brendan
there must be an old hardtail frame layng around the shop you can convert, right?

the bianchis seem to make all their owners happy but i've been intriqued by this, the 96'er:

http://www.carverbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=12

29 front, 26 rear, ebb... would make a very different SS rig. :cool: however, i know nothing about how they ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
old frames

I was actually keeping my eyes open for the right candidate. I have an old Marin Team issue frame that I have set up as a "grocery getter" utility bike. It would actually make a great single speed but I just can't seem to give up the utility function.
I am hoping someone will come in with an old ritchey or bontrager and say " Ahh, I never use this thing, gimme' 50 bucks for it" :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bikes

Ok , here is the short list:

6in FS everyday bike
4in FS race(?) bike
29er SS
carbon road bike (its all about miles)
FS Tandem
Road Tandem

Only thing worth mentioning by name is my 91 Yeti Pro Fro (almost ridable).

I think that is it, unless we talk about Dirtpixy's bikes...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Brendan said:
I was actually keeping my eyes open for the right candidate. I have an old Marin Team issue frame that I have set up as a "grocery getter" utility bike. It would actually make a great single speed but I just can't seem to give up the utility function.
I am hoping someone will come in with an old ritchey or bontrager and say " Ahh, I never use this thing, gimme' 50 bucks for it" :D
ah, an old bontrager... now that would be a SS with some "soul" :cool:

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
my first bike I ever bought was a 98 Trek 930, which I later converted to a SS (about 2 years ago). i ride this once a week.

my second bike was a 01 Santa Cruz Superlight, which I also ride about once a week and its my bike for the long epic rides and any endurance racing i get talked into.

next up is my diablo bike, an 04 cdale gemini 900, which I also use as a trail rig/all mountain ride. usually this is for trails "above route 80" and on the technical side. its hard to pedal this thing for more than 4 hours tho... i tend to go teets up after that. again once a week or so.

for the road its a basic cdale R500 road bike. its a tank but it rolls. lately i've been doing some commuting on this bike from west milford down to midland park (where i work) so its a once or twice a week. in normal years its usage is about a once a month. help me I'm almost a roadie.

·
I'm Idaho!
586 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, sold to me by Bike-N-Gear. Hope you get back on those bikes soon! Not all at the same time of course.

Trek 650 hardtail which I haven't ridden since I got the above bike. Well actually I did ride it once in the local BMX-mud pit areas near my house. Probably a good training bike.

Road is a Trek 2200.

Also have a steel Trek 7500 frame which I'm still debating what to do with.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Bob W said:
Ok , here is the short list:

6in FS everyday bike
4in FS race(?) bike
29er SS
carbon road bike (its all about miles)
FS Tandem
Road Tandem

Only thing worth mentioning by name is my 91 Yeti Pro Fro (almost ridable).

I think that is it, unless we talk about Dirtpixy's bikes...

lordy mama... that's a lot of bikes. along with frank with his "fleet of DH rigs" ;), you guys may be the winners, certainly in the tandem category. ;)

if i realized you were riding a 29er i would have asked you to trade for a half mile or so. why i didn't look down and notice that... :skep:

one thing i'd be interested in is storage of these beauties. your garage must have bike hooks everywhere?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Brendan said:
Brendan
The Pugsley may be overkill in these parts. Although in the winter I dream of one while slugging up hills knee deep in the snow :D

Comfortable and easy handling? Surly 1x1. YMMV, but for me that's the kind of bike that feels natural right away and handles just thinking of it. Add some suspension up front and it's even more comfortable (notice: I'm not saying 'better'). I'm thinking of putting 29" wheels on mine. The BB is so low it would only put it at normal height.

I once saw someone retrofitted an EBB into a Trek hardtail OCLV frame. _That_ is sweet.

Maurice

1 - 20 of 54 Posts