Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"2 Wycked"
986 Posts
I use skateboarding shoes, DC's to be exact. They work great and are very comfortable in my opinion.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You might try indoor soccer shoes - stiff soles - small cleats - lets you pull back and up part way on the up stroke.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2nd season with Teva Links, feels comfortable like tennis shoe but has the stiffness for those rides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the 5/10 Cravers. Super sticky....but.......BIG HEAVY and BULKY in my opinion. I'll probably get a pair of Teva for next season. Something a little lighter. Don't get me wrong the 5/10's are a great shoe. Just wish they were a little lighter.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know he is controversial, but James recently spoke out against overly-stiff soles:

Your comment brought to mind the article, so I thought I'd post the link.

I know I like my Five-Ten Freeriders far more than my Five-Ten Karvers. I am very tempted now to try out a pair of the Vans.

I personally like a stiffer sole when I ride. I feel better protected and like I'm getting everything out of each pedal. Check out the Five-Ten Sam Hill's, they're a great shoe. If you're looking for something along the same line but cheaper check out the Five-Ten Impact 2's.

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,618 Posts
both my clipless shoes (obviously) and 510s are stiff, but the other day i jumped on one of my bikes that had flats, with some running sneakers, and i found the lack of support to cause my arch to ache.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm liking my 5-10 Barons, and I have a pair of Tevo Pinners on the way :)

mudhen

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wear a cheap pair of docker olmstead sport sandals. Basically a full foot sandal. They seem to grip good and they keep my feet cool since you don't wear socks with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the older Vans or similar wider in the back sole. When in the woods going through tight rough stuff I wear my Rocky boots with blue jeans to keep ankles and legs from getting scratched up.

Flats rule.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to wear Adidas Sambas (indoor soccer shoes) but switched to some cheap canvas Vans and realized the Vans were far grippier. Riding any significant stretch of bumpy downhill kills my arches though, and I would definitely prefer something thicker than the thin canvas on my Vans between the top of my foot and rocks, roots, etc. Looking forward to getting some Teva's or 5.10's when I have extra money ie. graduate college and get a real job.

·
Hoopy Frod
102 Posts
I've been wearing Osiris NY83 high tops for a few months now. I love them!

Firm sole, great grip, and I love the little bit of ankle protection. So far they have held up as well as any shoe I've owned.

I was wearing DC's the last few seasons... but Osiris is my new favorite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts