Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
In most cases, they're a grade of steel. Some are stainless, while really low-end bikes use awful soft steel. Some high end bikes (like the Ibis Mojo SL, and others) use all titanium fasteners. In rare cases, you might see aluminum (such as in chainring bolts), but for most uses aluminum bits sacrifice too much strength - especially against shear forces - for too little weight loss.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply!

Thanks for reply.

I was just asking because i want to know if the bolts they made now a days corrode easily if i went off road cycling every day and washed it dowon everyday how long would it take for the bolts to rust/corrode?

I use the Gary fisher every week off road but i've now found a more local track that is 5 - 6 miles from me and probably going to go there loads and seing as i can't work at the moment i thought i'd make the most of my free cycling time! so i thought i'd ask how long it'd take if i cycled off road everyday.

I think my bikes are high end i have a lapierre zesty 314 2011 and a gary fisher HIFI pro carbon 2009

Spent a fortune on them and i don't wanna watch them rust/corrode I do look after them and try and keep them looking like new.

Yours sincerely

Wayne

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most of the suspension pivot bolts and hardware are alloy and the bearings are stainless. If you hose your bike down everyday it won't take long for the bolts and bearings to corrode. This will make removal and replacement of these components difficult.

I would recommend only using soap and water on the bike when it is really dirty. If you do wash it, make sure you are prepared to spend some time drying the components afterward.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Use low pressure water stream and a brush instead of high pressure stream only so you don't compromise the bearing seals and contaminate the races/balls.
Slap some anti-seize on your bolts' threads to keep them from rusting in place and replace when they show signs of rust on the outside.
If you have compressed air, blow dry bolt socket heads.
At least here in CO where the air is pretty dry, moisture doesn't stick around very long to rust out bolts, even those black high carbon ones. They'll still rust, but not anywhere near the amount along the coasts w/ higher humidity.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for reply i'll just wash it down see what happends i probably won't go everyday it was just an exaduration probably go once ever 2 days tops rarely once everyday. Thanks for your replys.

i'll give it a shot see what happends before every ride i oil and grease every bolt on the bike and after i wipe down if used on road but i'll just hose down if muddy then shower sleep and grease and oil the bike again!

The way i look after my bike's i think i have a slim chance it'll corrode within years to come!

Thanks for your replys guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.