Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

what type of aftermarket oil can be use ( as alternative replacement ) for our bike's suspension damper oil ?

I'm thinkking of using hydraulic liquids ( power steering ) , or normal engine motor oils. :confused:

Found this from internet :

ISO 22 = SAE 5
ISO 32 = SAE 10
ISO 46 = SAE 15
ISO 68 = SAE 20
ISO 100 = SAE 30
ISO 150 = SAE 40
ISO 220 = SAE 50

Hydraulic jack oil is ISO 32 hydraulic oil. ISO 32 is equivelant to SAE 10W. I have been using it for more than 20 years with good results. If you want to uprate to stiffer shocks you might do okay with ISO 68-70 hydraulic oil (SAE 20W) on consistently rough roads. Do NOT install oil thicker that ISO 100 or SAE 30W, as that can lead to broken internal parts of the shock absorber (not to mention extremely harsh ride). Do NOT install oil thinner than ISO 32 (SAE 10W), as that will not have sufficient wear resistance at high temperature. Hydraulic oil is recommended over engine oil due to anti-foaming ingredients, high temperature tolerance and non-detergent.

credit : http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs110.htm

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
I've tried hydraulic oil. Basically it's too sensitive to temperatures, the difference between a cold day and a warm day is very noticable compared to real shock/fork oils.

ATF was significantly better, but wasn't available in the viscosity I wanted. It worked well in some forks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.