Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question but im going to be upgrading to either a nevegal 2.1 or maxxis ardent 2.25 rear tire and am a little confused about tube sizing and whether or not its one size fits all or I need a specific size for the width of the tire.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
783 Posts
You'll need a tube that fits the tire size and it's marked on the box. Also make sure you get the correct valve stem for your rim and it you have presta's on a deep rim that you get the right length too. Of course if your new tire is the same size as the old you can just use the old tubes if they're not full of patches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 46/50 are millimeters, the 1.96, 2.0, 2.1 are inches. MTB sizes are usually in inches, road sizes in mm, but you can convert between the two easily enough. The conversions are usually rounded quite roughly, so e.g. a 50mm tyre is called 2.0 (inches) and the 2.1 and 2.25 you mentioned are (usually) 54mm and 57mm.

I think the reason those WTBs have two measurements is that they tried using a more precise way of reporting sizes, where the smaller size (46mm) is the width of the casing and the larger (50mm) that of the tread. I would guess that it translates to something around 2.0 or smaller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.