Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even Specialized still lists 700c tubes as road tubes. Is it still better to stretch a 26" tube, as per 29er reference guide?
(I don't see any road tubes listed by Specialized as 51mm, isn't that what a 2" tire requires?)

·
rider
2,356 Posts
I like using real 29er tubes. Kenda, Bontrager & WTB just to name a few, are all selling 29er tubes. Bonti has an ultralight 29er tube that seemed like a good idea (came on my bike) but were very leak prone. Now I just run the standard weight tubes. Not picky about brands.

Of course the simple answer is "the one that holds air"!

29erchico

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Mine don't hold air for very long, but they do roll like mad and add grip, 26" Michelin Latex, 123g. Very hard to flat.

·
Joenes
40 Posts
No tube

I was so happy with Stan's on my 26" wheels, when I sold that bike I swapped the kit for tubes and kept the Stan's for my new bike.

When I got my GF Rig, before riding it, I removed the inner tubes and installed my old (26") stan's rim strips, added the goo...viola.

Just as I experienced on the old bike, not a single problem as of yet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pacman, I also use 26" Specialized Turbo Tubes in my 29er, they've worked great for me in SoCal. I see you on the SoCal boards, but now you went 29er? What'd ya get? We may need to get a 29er tour de santa monicas going.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
burner said:
Pacman, I also use 26" Specialized Turbo Tubes in my 29er, they've worked great for me in SoCal. I see you on the SoCal boards, but now you went 29er? What'd ya get? We may need to get a 29er tour de santa monicas going.
I'm watching a clock go tick - tick - tick. In January(?) I'll have a S.I.R. Niner. Then, let the touring start.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
I ordered some 26" Turbo tubes from Specialized when I ordered my tires. This was based on Padre's recomendations in the past. I hope they will work.
Ditto that. I took Padre's advice over the summer when I was one of the lucky 20 to receive the proto version of the tires. I raced mine like crazy on a rigid SS and only flatted once- when going balls out at the SSWC on the rockiest, gnarliest course I have ever seen!
I will continue to ride these tubes. Just "pre-stretch" them by airing them up to about 150% of their actual size before inserting them in the tire. I leave them overnight and, voila!, they are 29er tubes, hahaha!

OGG

·
Joenes
40 Posts
Why are you still riding tubes?

I won't ride without an emergency tube in my seat pack but why do y'all still prefer to roll with tubes instead of tubeless?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
josegraff said:
I won't ride without an emergency tube in my seat pack but why do y'all still prefer to roll with tubes instead of tubeless?
Because inner tubes are more reliable than DIY tubeless.

·
Joenes
40 Posts
In my experience tubes vs. tubeless (35 yrs. tubes/ 2yrs. tubeless), tubes are nowhere near as reliable as tubeless. Many, many flat tires from punctures and pinches. Zero punctures or pinches with tubeless and I have only used Stan's with a traditional tire not UST.

I would agree that tubes are more easily reparable but not more reliable.

The ride quality between the two isn't a fair comparison, like comparing clips and straps to clipless pedals or friction shifting to index shifting. Tubeless gives a much more comfortable ride and traction that can't be matched by tubed tires unless you want a guaranteed pinch.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
josegraff said:
In my experience tubes vs. tubeless (35 yrs. tubes/ 2yrs. tubeless), tubes are nowhere near as reliable as tubeless. Many, many flat tires from punctures and pinches. Zero punctures or pinches with tubeless and I have only used Stan's with a traditional tire not UST.

The ride quality between the two isn't a fair comparison, like comparing clips and straps to clipless pedals or friction shifting to index shifting. Tubeless gives a much more comfortable ride and traction that can't be matched by tubed tires unless you want a guaranteed pinch.
Tubes vs DIY tubeless has been discussed and debated here and on other forums to exhaustion. I will not get into another now.

The cons of DIY far outweigh the pros for me.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
josegraff said:

I take it your experience has been with 26" bikes and not 29"ers.

B

·
Joenes
40 Posts
Yep, Donkey. All experience has come from <=26". I'm new to 29er's.

Shiggy, point taken.

I didn't intend to hijack this thread, just looking for some of your ideas.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
I use Specialized thorne resistance (TR) race 26" tubes. 160 grams. The Turbo tubes from Specialized flatted a lot for me here in Arizona. So far these have held out way better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts