Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into getting a e.13 chainguide for my Judge, but im unsure what tooth to get because it means the difference from me getting the STS or the SRS. For riding FR and racing on the east coast, what tooth chainring would you recommend?

·
Registered
43 Posts
TheProphet said:
I have been looking into getting a e.13 chainguide for my Judge, but im unsure what tooth to get because it means the difference from me getting the STS or the SRS. For riding FR and racing on the east coast, what tooth chainring would you recommend?
Different courses require different chain rings... I use everything ranging from a 34 to 42 depending on the course or whether or not I need to pedal up hill.

Anyways the point of this post is not to tell you what chain ring to use... it's to tell you get the LG 1 guide. ...it can fit a broader ranger of chainrings, it's a 1/3lb lighter, and it holds the chain on better. The SRS is old news.

You can thank me later.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Khemical said:
I'm exposing myself to looking stupid here but what does "TT" chainring stand for?
Not sure if this is what the OP intended, but TT usually stands for "Time Trials".

To answer the original question. I ride DH, all types of courses/terrain using a 36T ring w/ a 11-23/26 cassette.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
FYI Sam Hill (current world DH champ) runs either a 36 or 34 tooth ring.....he seems to do OK.

The key to a smaller ring (great because it gives better ground clearance, is lighter, uses less chain, and gives closer ratios) is to run a cassette that starts at 11 NOT 12. That way you can get the bigger gear inches needed.

Do the math..36 is plenty unless all you are doing is downieville

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
TheProphet said:
"TT" stands for tooth. Like what tooth chainring....

With the LG-1, you cant use a bash guard can you?
You use about 1/3 of a bashguard bolted to the backplate. It is generaly called a 'taco'..if you do a search here (or RM for sure) you will see some pics.

with a 11 tooth cog, 36 is plenty. If the cogset is a 12 - something, you may want a bigger ring, but i think it is a better choice to get a cogset starting at 11 and going to whatever you need for the riding you are going to be doing.... gives a better set-up all around.

just checked and the bike comes with a two ring 24/36 front and an 11-34 cogset..LOTS of gears. Are you going to go to a single ring? Are you just DH'ing or some all around/FR/DH stuff as wel?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
What is the point of running an 11-22 unless it is strictly DH. It seems that most people will have to use their bikes to go up hill at least some point. I guess what I'm asking is what are the advantages of a smaller ratio cassete? Today I had to ride up my normal DH trail using a 42 with a 12-25 cassete....It was not fun

·
Registered
832 Posts
Rover Nick said:
Today I had to ride up my normal DH trail using a 42 with a 12-25 cassete....It was not fun
I run a 40t and have to ride up hills to go downhill or get to the drops or play areas etc,i just stick it in a easy gear and pedal,and my bike is not designed for going uphill hehe,but i still manage it :rolleyes:

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
davep said:
You use about 1/3 of a bashguard bolted to the backplate. It is generaly called a 'taco'..if you do a search here (or RM for sure) you will see some pics.

with a 11 tooth cog, 36 is plenty. If the cogset is a 12 - something, you may want a bigger ring, but i think it is a better choice to get a cogset starting at 11 and going to whatever you need for the riding you are going to be doing.... gives a better set-up all around.

just checked and the bike comes with a two ring 24/36 front and an 11-34 cogset..LOTS of gears. Are you going to go to a single ring? Are you just DH'ing or some all around/FR/DH stuff as wel?
It will be a mix of DH and FR. I just wanna get rid of the front derailleur because I really dont need it. On my trail bike, I have a 22/32 and rarely use the 22. I usually pedal everywhere in my biggest ring. Im thinking about just keep the 36, but I wanna know more about this LG-1. Ive seen/heard of it, but does anyone have any pictures of it in use. I always thought not running a bash ring would be bad.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
TheProphet said:
It will be a mix of DH and FR. I just wanna get rid of the front derailleur because I really dont need it. On my trail bike, I have a 22/32 and rarely use the 22. I usually pedal everywhere in my biggest ring. Im thinking about just keep the 36, but I wanna know more about this LG-1. Ive seen/heard of it, but does anyone have any pictures of it in use. I always thought not running a bash ring would be bad.
The lower limit on the LG1 is posted at 34t, but I'm going to replace my boxguide with one and try it with my 33t anyway since the boxguide says 34t minimum as well but works fine. If I had a strictly DH/shuttle bike I'd run a little larger, around 36 or 38, but I still climb with both of my fullies, as well as ride some tech singletrack that is not full out high speed anyway...

the thing with running the taco is you need to be sure your iscg tabs are fairly strong, not just tack welded on or very thin like on some earlier or cheaper frames...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.