Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What tires for winter SC trails

Greetings NorCal People:

I'll be visiting Santa Cruz mid- to late-December. I usually come out in the summer; never made it out in the winter. What is the consistency of the dirt (assuming no rain for a couple of days) compared to summer? If I hit mud, will it be sticky like my Kentucky mud? Can I get away with a moderately-knobby tire?

I usually ride Wilder, Nisene, and a little of SDF. I heard Wilder is terrible after a rain. How about the other places?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It's pretty variable. Wilder does get very muddy after a rain; how long that lasts depends on how much rain we got and how wet the soil already was. Right now, it is just nice and firm, with a few damp spots from the last storm.

Trails under cover often fair better than the ones in the open, maybe because of more leaves and duff on the ground, plus thirsty trees to soak up rain. When it does get muddy, you want a tire that sheds, open tread pattern type, and fenders are nice.

When it does get wet, best to stay off it for a couple days, maybe do some road rides. Or shoot down to Fort Ord, which is sandy and is actually helped by the rain.

·
singletrack bound
3,107 Posts
Trails are in good shape....

LarryG said:
Greetings NorCal People:

I'll be visiting Santa Cruz mid- to late-December. I usually come out in the summer; never made it out in the winter. What is the consistency of the dirt (assuming no rain for a couple of days) compared to summer? If I hit mud, will it be sticky like my Kentucky mud? Can I get away with a moderately-knobby tire?

I usually ride Wilder, Nisene, and a little of SDF. I heard Wilder is terrible after a rain. How about the other places?
I just got in from a three hour night ride in the Aptos area and the trails right now are really nice. The leaves have washed off the trail surface and the rain we had a few weeks ago has packed the trails and made traction nice and tacky. Under the redwoods, the singletrack is awesome... NO DUST!
Just about any tire would ride well right now. I am riding Kenda 2.0 Blue Grooves on my Chamelon SS. Once the rain falls....... I will be heading down to Fort Ord. A great place to ride in the winter. I have made the drive down there in a driving rain storm and after getting down there with a break in the rain, have riddin the Giggling Road area of Fort Ord and it drains beautifully. When the rain gets really heavy I break out the road bike......Got to love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.