Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Medium or Large?

I am 6' 1". 195 lbs. 34" Inseam.

I have ridden a friends Large and it seems a bit of a stretch to the bars...not really uncomfortable, but a little long and he has a short stem.

I enjoy riding trails and am not a balls out rider...just climbing and enjoying the trails...I want to make sure I get a bike that will be comfortable.

thanks in advance
jay
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,608 Posts
I had a medium and I am 5'11'' with an inseam of 32" and a midseam of 6" :D

It was a bit small at first cuz I came off the old "race geometry" extended bikes. I now prefer a more upright position. But I am also not racing and now doing more aggressive stuff.

You really have to ride one to find out.

Fork length, stem length, seat position will all be factors in comfort in addition to the frame size.

I loved that Fuel. I had too much fun on that thing.

Good fitting!

Mr. P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
jkantor1312 said:
Medium or Large?

I am 6' 1". 195 lbs. 34" Inseam.

I have ridden a friends Large and it seems a bit of a stretch to the bars...not really uncomfortable, but a little long and he has a short stem.

I enjoy riding trails and am not a balls out rider...just climbing and enjoying the trails...I want to make sure I get a bike that will be comfortable.

thanks in advance
jay
that's a tough one. You may not even want a Fuel if you want a trail bike. I own a medium fuel. I'm 5'8 and I have my Fuel set up with a 1.5" riser bar, 1" of spacers under the stem and a 4" trave long a-c fork. I love the bike, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go for something different.

Don't get me wrong, I use it for racing and it's great....but I originally bought it for a trail bike. It's not the best trail bike unless your courses are fairly smooth. I prefer technical riding and it's more of a racer. I now own a different bike for trail riding. I use the fuel for racing and occasional trail riding, but it/s set up with a longer than stock fork...coil springs...and the riser with spacers.

My inseam is about 32" or so. My pants inseam is 30". I don't know exactly what you mean by "inseam".

By your description, you'd want a Fuel Ex, or a Turner Flux...or a Santa Cruz Blur...etc. If you're not going to race, the Fuel is a bit on the harsh (firm riding) side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
I am just about 6 foot with a 34 inseem and I ride a medium Fuel with 110mm stem. I love the way it fits and the riding position is perfect. You are probably border line between a large and a medium, to a point where I think it would just come down to preference. I always liked a bit of a smaller frame - I find it much easier to throw around in tight single track. As some posters above said you might not want a Fuel for a trail bike as its geared more for XC racing, granted you can ride it on almost any trail but there are better options for a general use trail bike. The bike has been extremely durable and works great for its intended purpose, I have no regrets. I really dont care for the Fuel EX, I think they are just trying to get more mileage out of a dated design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Well...

I'm 5'10" (on a good day) and I have a 32" inseam and the wingspan of someone 6'4" (Yeah, I'm built like a spider). I found the medium to be cramped, but that could be because of my freakishly long arms. The large fit right to me. I've been riding my large Fuel for a year now, no problems whatsoever with the geometry. You'll have to test them out to be sure for yourself though.
 

·
Politically Incorrect
Joined
·
100 Posts
I am 6'0" and have a 34" inseam, and have been on a large Fuel for a year and a large Trek 8000 with nearly the same geometry for 4 years prior to the Fuel. The mediums felt a little cramped to me, and the large felt just right. As PointBoy said, you are probably borderline for large and medium, so I really does come down to riding both and seeing what feels best to you.
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
IbikeID said:
I am 6'0" and have a 34" inseam, and have been on a large Fuel for a year and a large Trek 8000 with nearly the same geometry for 4 years prior to the Fuel. The mediums felt a little cramped to me, and the large felt just right. As PointBoy said, you are probably borderline for large and medium, so I really does come down to riding both and seeing what feels best to you.
Exactly....I'm 5'7" with approx 30" inseam, LBS insisted I "needed" a small (15.5") Fuel......I treid and retried, over several days, both the 15.5" and 17.5" (medium) and guess what...I felt "right" on the medium - small felt too "cramped" (granted, the medium has a lil less standover height, but in my 15 years mtbing, standover's never been an issue - how the bike feels when I'm riding it (as opposed to standing over it) is paramount !!! Just my too senseless, ymmv;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,415 Posts
I am also 5' 7" with a 30" inseam and have the medium size frame. The frame felt a little high initially, but with such a perfect fit, who cares. I ride XC only.

My guess is that a 6'1" person would be a little cramped on a medium frame. However, you can fix some of that with a longer stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
that's a tough one. You may not even want a Fuel if you want a trail bike. I own a medium fuel. I'm 5'8 and I have my Fuel set up with a 1.5" riser bar, 1" of spacers under the stem and a 4" trave long a-c fork. I love the bike, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go for something different.

Don't get me wrong, I use it for racing and it's great....but I originally bought it for a trail bike. It's not the best trail bike unless your courses are fairly smooth. I prefer technical riding and it's more of a racer. I now own a different bike for trail riding. I use the fuel for racing and occasional trail riding, but it/s set up with a longer than stock fork...coil springs...and the riser with spacers.

My inseam is about 32" or so. My pants inseam is 30". I don't know exactly what you mean by "inseam".

By your description, you'd want a Fuel Ex, or a Turner Flux...or a Santa Cruz Blur...etc. If you're not going to race, the Fuel is a bit on the harsh (firm riding) side.
I'd have to agree with Blue Shorts here, you'd prob be better off looking at the Fuel EX's, SC Blur, GIANT Trance's, Turner Burner or Flux.

As for sizing I was looking at a XL Fuel EX, I'm 6'3", 35.25" inseam (as measured standing against a wall with abook "tightly" up there) and 170-180lbs. I decided on a Giant Trance instead and have a XL / 22".
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top