Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always looking to the next adventure i always say.

Here's some trails that are on my hit list for next year.

One's i've done these partially before but left unfinished business....

Smith Creek Epic, i've done Plains/ApeCanyon but i've never done the loop, a broken leg, a volcanic eruption, and a sprained knee have foiled my plans of doing it for the last 2 years.

Timberline shuttle or Mt. Hood race, i know there are better trails in Oregon to do and i mean to do them but me and Mt. Hood have some settling up to do. The mountain broke my leg last time i was there so i gotta go back and make things right.

Angels Staircase, made it to Cooney Lake and had to turn back (frozen feet from snow). That will not happen next time.

Sunset at Hamilton Peak, then nightride to camp down Hamilton Buttes, oh man that would be so frikkin sweet!

Jungle Hill, off of Kettle Crest, the only time i led a ride and took a wrong turn and missed the one trail i was really looking forward to, next year.....

Others that i haven't done that i got my sights on....

Porcupine Rim, what the hell i love exposure

McKenzie or Bend or Umpqua, gotta see what all the hype is

Post Canyon, man there's a trail called the Toilet Bowl, how can i NOT ride that!

Juniper Ridge Epic, still haven't decided which approach to start it....

Pot Peak or Pyramid epic, gotta kill myself on at least one ride next year

The Shore and Whistler, everybody always tells me to go and i really should.... Comfortably Numb is on the hit list as well

Then there are a few that are comin up soon...

Humptulips, gonna check it out next Monday, might get flooded out

Mt. Constitution, years of people bailing on me won't stop me from going next year!

There are so many other trails i have my eye on that i haven't done, and so many more must do's, i need to win the lottery so i can just ride all the time....
:)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Test of Metal-maybe but someone has to tell me about it first. I dont want to wreck a knee or something. Its 3-4 hours of racing or something up in BC. I dont want to find myself having to cross a skinny log across a ravine thats 80' deep or something like that. I figure that what they do in BC.

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Pot Peak
BC Float Plane / Bike trip
Bend, OR
Sun Valley, ID trails
Boise, ID trails
Icicle Ridge / 4th of July
Tyee Ridge as an outback instead of a loop this time
Pyramid
Lots of others to be named later and then what ever big ride Gearz comes up with and post great photos of.

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
-Nason ridge, Pyramid, Garland, Juniper, Klone, any other high country; Igor/Monte/Gearz/Preston/Armando type rides (main goal)
-Olympic Penninsula big trails
-Cap forest
-Cascade Triple Crown
-24 hour Tokul/Tolt/Griffin
-Orcas/Constitution again this winter
-Winthrop
-Anything else that's big miles, maybe an overnight, like "trail X"

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I see some repeats there.....

So, I see some others are interested in the same trails as me....maybe we'll hook up in '06 for some great rides. With that, I'm gonna have to say here's my wish list. If I hit 1/2 of these, I'll be stoked!!!

Washington:
Icicle Ridge
Plains of Abraham/Ape Canyon
Angels Staircase
Klone Peak
Miller Peak
Metcalf Trust & Ft. Ebey

Oregon:
Umpqua
McKenzie River
Post Canyon and Surveyor's Ridge

Fruita, CO:
Moore Fun, Troy Built, Horsethief Bench
The Ribbon / Holy Cross (GJ)

Moab, UT:
Bartlett Wash
Fisher Mesa

BC:
Six Summits (Rossland)
The Vein, Slabalanche, Paper Bag, Goldmember (Nelson)
Valleycliffe trails (Squamish)

Swiss Alps (fingers crossed - honeymoon):
http://www.ridebig.com/assets/trips/swiss/ridebig_cloudraker.pdf

Chers,
EBX

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the same thoughts.

Seems for the most part the climbers are over here and the shuttle monkeys are elsewhere... ;)

Umpquah for sure.
Back to Sun Valley/Stanley ID for more of the best riding I've ever had.
Obligatory long weekend in Bend to party and ride with the COTA folks.

And, a real effort to hit the places I keep saying I'll do and run out of days to get to.
Moran
Pyramid
Duncan
5 drainages (maybe 7, Gearz...)
Basalt
Icicle
etc...
I'd also like to get a weekend in the Blues as well as some of that fine riding up in the NE corner of the state. East-West weekend would be awesome.

·
born again
652 Posts
Borneo said:
Yeah, a lot of the same thoughts.

Seems for the most part the climbers are over here and the shuttle monkeys are elsewhere... ;)

Umpquah for sure.
Back to Sun Valley/Stanley ID for more of the best riding I've ever had.
Obligatory long weekend in Bend to party and ride with the COTA folks.

And, a real effort to hit the places I keep saying I'll do and run out of days to get to.
Moran
Pyramid
Duncan
5 drainages (maybe 7, Gearz...)
Basalt
Icicle
etc...
I'd also like to get a weekend in the Blues as well as some of that fine riding up in the NE corner of the state. East-West weekend would be awesome.
That's 8 Drainages... Will get done next year by someone.. ;)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Oh yeah, up/down/up/down....

Should be cake after the CTC.... ;)
Start/Finish from 29 Pines?

Still thinking about the C2C (Cashmere to Cle Elum) or vice versa as well.
Got a tentative route planned and everything! :)

Too bad it's snow season and my poor bikey hasn't felt any love since Nov. 18th....

·
born again
652 Posts
Borneo said:
Oh yeah, up/down/up/down....

Should be cake after the CTC.... ;)
Start/Finish from 29 Pines?

Still thinking about the C2C (Cashmere to Cle Elum) or vice versa as well.
Got a tentative route planned and everything! :)

Too bad it's snow season and my poor bikey hasn't felt any love since Nov. 18th....
8 Drainages = 28miles / 9000' / +- 10 hours / Enough ups and downs to make you dizzy

Not interested in CTC. Too much road riding. Lake to Lake is looking good. So is Uno-Angel. All 7 wheelers...
Start/Finish from the Pines fer sure...

No go on the C2C for same reason as CTC. Unless you've got a secret route... :cool:

Yea its snow season allright.

·
Registered
605 Posts
One ride that I'd really like to do next year is a circumnaviation of Mount Saint Helens on the Loowit Trail. Ride the portions that are open to bike and then strap your bike to a backpack and hike the section that isn't open to bikes.

Another would be the Tiffany Mountain loop.

There's lots of other rides that it'd be great to do just in Washington, not to menation other locations.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
My list is rather undefined

In state:
At least one or two true epics this year
More rides in Central and Eastern WA
Devils Gulch
Mt St Helen's
Green Mt.

Out of State:
At least one good out of state weekend (It doesn't mater where, as long as it's different that WA and OR)

Canada:
Whistler AT LEAST once a month during bike park season
Northshore Vancouver every other month.
Squamish at least once.

All fo this planed around training and racing at the velodrome.

Great post!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
gearz said:
8 Drainages = 28miles / 9000' / +- 10 hours / Enough ups and downs to make you dizzy

Not interested in CTC. Too much road riding. Lake to Lake is looking good. So is Uno-Angel. All 7 wheelers...
Start/Finish from the Pines fer sure...

No go on the C2C for same reason as CTC. Unless you've got a secret route... :cool:

Yea its snow season allright.
Yeah, both have some logging road, that's for sure. But, what's so bad about logging roads in various stages of use? You turning into a singletrack only snob? ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Smith Creek Epic, i've done Plains/ApeCanyon but i've never done the loop . . .

Ditto for me but I have to wonder whether Smith Creek would provide the same return as Abe/Ape OAB. Some say no.

Porcupine Rim . . .

Just please don't ride the shuttle (or just don't let anyone know you're from Washington). I swear vans passed me grinding up that modest hill, carrying riders I actually passed later, halfway down the 'trail' (not to mention convoys of box-stock SUV's).

McKenzie or Bend or Umpqua. . .

Umpwa worth it for sure.

Juniper Ridge Epic, still haven't decided which approach to start it. . .

Camp on top somewhere and start near Council Lake. That leaves the (gradual) road climb to the end, sure, but you'll appreciate feeling fresh for the trail itself. Friggin' awesome ride. I exited via Trail #262 and FR 2324*, 41 miles total (since I started from Takhlakh), plan 6-8 hours. I'd like to do that whole ridge some day, all the way to the bottom.

* FYI, If you carry a filter, you can find water along this road. Water was scarce on top when it became a matter of concern -- before the long upcoming road portion -- and I was suckin' air before I left the ridge.

Pot Peak or Pyramid epic . . .

Climb 25-mile Creek and kill two birds with one stone (it's in poor condition for a good downhill anyway). Then, for a follow-on, more energy-efficient ride, do Pyramid as an OAB from the top of Shady Pass. gearz recommended that as a super route too. That way you might kill three birds with one trip.

***There are so many other trails i have my eye on that i haven't done, and so many more must do's, i need to win the lottery so i can just ride all the time . . .***

No, just aggravate the wife to the point where she wants to be gone -- working to pay the bills -- and wants YOU to be gone when she's not! Works for me.

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
My O6 List

So far for 06 I've identified

Uno Peak
Foggy Dew Epic
Lightning Creek/Starvation Mtn
Virginian Reel (Kirkendall)
Chikamin Ridge Epic
Pugh Ridge (near Pyramid)
Icicle Ridge
Badger Ridge (and some other miscellaneous leftovers in Gifford-Pinchot)
Three Corner Rock
Falls Creek
Something Ugly (which gearz hasn't thought up yet)

Hmmm, pickin's are getting slim -- list is usually double that -- so maybe some

Hood River trails (Surveyor's Ridge definitely)
McKenzie River (finally)
Cream Puff course (wherever the hell that is, maybe)
Some sampling of Umatilla/Wallowa-Whitman (assuming that's what everyone is referring to when mentioning the 'Blues')

For a spring escape, maybe Fruita. I'm interested in the Kokapelli Trail (142 miles) from Fruita to Moab. Anyone know anything about that?

*Tips appreciated for anything mentioned*

Oh, yeah, add the Wonderland Trail to this list.

After that I'll pay my fine, let them confiscate my bike, and retire -- maybe buy a motorcycle. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.