Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NE Phoenix, 1 block away from the Trail 100 (24 St and Shea area), so the trail you will see me on the most is the Trail 100. I moved close to the Phoenix Mountain Preserve for one reason, and that was so I could ride my bike on a fun trail any time I wanted without having to deal with the car.

It's also fun to ride at night on the Trail 100. When I come home from work at night I can slap on the light and head out for an hour or two without the hassle of driving anywhere.

Other trails I visit regularly include: McDowell's (both Pemberton and the shorter loops) and South Mountain (Desert Classic and Mormon). On occasion I will ride out at Pima/Dynamite. I have never been to the Hawes loops in Mesa or the White Tanks (too damn far to drive).

My bike also makes regular trips with me to Flagstaff, Prescott, and Colorado.

Thx...Doug

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
For me, it's Fantasy Island in Tucson. Not a technical trail, so I ride it on my CX bike all the time, which makes it more interesting. I ride it a lot because it's 3 mi from my house via dirt roads. So it's pretty convenient. Next would be Starr Pass, but I haven't been out there in awhile. In the cooler months I'll ride the Reddington Pass area, Milagrosa, and also go down to the Sonoita area. I don't hit the 50 yr Trail area at all, because it's such a far drive for me. For that amount of driving, I may as well go up to Phoenix.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
Well, living in Catalina

Being new to this group, I figure this is as good of a place as any to start...

My wife and I are extremely fortunate to have found a reasonably priced home in Catalina - so it's with a little bias that I claim the Golder Ranch/50-year trail as my favorite system. If any of you have been there, this system includes the infamous "chutes", which are about 7 minutes riding time away from my home. There is a really great amount of trails to suit every need - long fast singletracks, sections for technical riding, easy stuff for the family, and just all around fun. Since I wok in this area too, I'm fortunate to be able to use this system as my commute 2-3 days per week. I've lived here for over a year (and been riding these trails much longer) and have yet to experience anything close to boredom. Yes, some of the best singletrack runs come with the price of hefty uphill climbs, but who said anything in life is free?

Also, within 30 minutes there are two other great trail systems... many of you might be familiar with the 18-mile loop at Willow Springs (used for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo race... coming up in 2 weeks), as well as the "Dead Bobby" network. "Dead Bobby" is a relatively new system, so some of the trails aren't anything more than glorified cow trails, but the riding is great - and you feel really isolated.

All great experiences on the north end of Tucson area.

Hank

·
Registered
148 Posts
Definitely Tucson Mountain Park and Star Pass. Since I live only about a 20-minute bike ride away, and there are plenty of different trails in the park, it's a simple choice. But Fantasy Island is close to work, so that's one of my regulars, too.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
My usual stomping ground is T100 because I genuinely like it and for convenience sakes. I like to use all of the side trails to form a loop - usually T100 W. from Tatum then a quick dip south on to the 1a, crossing back over T100 to the 220a then turning before Dreamy Draw back on to T100 and then heading north towards the Shea/40th st parking before a final rip back down T100 to the Tatum parking lot. About 1hr as a rule but can be extended by crossing Dreamy Draw.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you live in the area?

Srexy said:
My usual stomping ground is T100 because I genuinely like it and for convenience sakes.
If the T100 is convenient to you, does that mean you live in the neighborhood? A number of my friends live in the area (along the preserve between Shea and 40th St) and we group ride the T100 on the weekends. If you live in the area we would be glad to have you along!

Thx...Doug

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
I live on Chapparal and Granite Reef - takes me 15mins to the Tatum parking lot or 25 mins to the 40th st.

When are you going out next?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hawes & Pass Mtn are closer than you think

I like variety, rather than riding the same old trail all the time. Hitting Hawes and Pass Mtn from your place is pretty easy and quick now that you can take 51 to 202 then all the way to Recker & Thomas. Park at the Walgreens at Power & Thomas and off you go. I'd be glad to show you the routes.

That being said, I got humbled badly by a bunch of docs this morning on Trail 100 (8, 1A, et al). Seems they like to ride everything the hard direction! I saw a guy 10 yrs older than me mountain goat up some things I was sure were unrideable.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
McDowell mountain

I've ordered my rides based on frequency...

1. McDowells (both Scottsdale and Fountain Hills sides)
2. T-100
3. Pima and Dynamite
4. Hawes Pass / TRW*
5. South Mountain*
6. Prescott*
7. Sedona*

* Typical Weekend ride. About every third or fourth Saturday I do a rotation. I love Hawes Pass/Mine Loop/TRW as there are never any crowds like on South Mtn. and it is vast and beautiful (not that SM isn't). I live in Scottsdale near the McDowell's, so I pick up a trail system near FLW's Taelesin House. I often ride from Happy Valley Road thru the McDowells and onto the Pemberton Trail. As they say, "It's all good..."

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Lot's of Favorite trails

dgangi said:
I live in NE Phoenix, 1 block away from the Trail 100 (24 St and Shea area), so the trail you will see me on the most is the Trail 100. I moved close to the Phoenix Mountain Preserve for one reason, and that was so I could ride my bike on a fun trail any time I wanted without having to deal with the car.

It's also fun to ride at night on the Trail 100. When I come home from work at night I can slap on the light and head out for an hour or two without the hassle of driving anywhere.

Other trails I visit regularly include: McDowell's (both Pemberton and the shorter loops) and South Mountain (Desert Classic and Mormon). On occasion I will ride out at Pima/Dynamite. I have never been to the Hawes loops in Mesa or the White Tanks (too damn far to drive).

My bike also makes regular trips with me to Flagstaff, Prescott, and Colorado.

Thx...Doug

I live in PHX at the 101 loop and I-17 so i ride alot just North of Happy Valley and 55th ave. also New River rd. on the Black Canyon Tr..

Pima/Dynamite
South Mtn.
Sedona
Flag in the summer is the best..
Tucson with Sundog and Pedal AZ
Pemberton and McDowell
Trail 100

Lot's of great places to ride. and year round is the best part..

Later,
JohnnyK

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Living in Ahwatukee, South Mountain is my back yard. It is also my favorite place to ride! I do try to mix is up with my friends by going to Hawes, P/D, T100, Sedona, Prescott, Flag, but there's nothing like riding your bike from the garage and being on dirt within a mile.

Kathleen

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Oro Valley

Like Wurensh the 50-Year Trail area at Golder Ranch is my nearest and most frequently ridden trail system. It has an amazing number and variety of different trail types, plus it connects on the south with Catalina State Park, and on the north with the Charleau Gap jeep road that potentially can take you high up in the Santa Catalina Mountains.

Redington Pass/Chivo Falls is rough, technical and very fun on the east side of Tucson, and Fantasy Island is like a Disneyland ride. Some say it lacks technical challenge, but if that is the case, it is particularly fun to try to ride it faster than you ever have before.

Gardner Canyon/Kentucky Camp are less than an hour south of Tucson and have many miles of great trails that get up into woods and cooler temperatures and have a great variety of different terrain, with mixed jeep trail and single-track.

I love Hawes/TRW in Mesa, and all three Regional Parks in Maricopa County. The one place I would most like to try that I have never been is the South Mountain area. I may have to try to hook-up with some of you who live there and are posting about leading rides.

John

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
Only the evilest of all...

canal banks. :mad: Being super extreme, I enjoy the raw thrill of canal bank riding. The massive exposure of the water, the huge techical manuevers to ride over joggers and snowbirds, the danger of mad carp, can't beat it. When I slow down the adrenaline I like to ride SoMo, Hawes/TRW, Pass Mtn, and papago. I like to venture out to further locales, but the three junior evils keep me close to home for most of my rides.

·
Registered
30 Posts
East Side

My wife and I live WAAAAAAAAAAY out on the east side of Mesa, Signal Butte and Elliot so we typically ride Pass Mtn (Ssshhhh!), Hawes, and McDowell (Pretty easy to get to by going all the way up Power.

·
Glutton for punishment
580 Posts
Trail 100 and South Mountain...

Are #1 and #2. Trail 100 is just too close to the house to ignore, about 10 minutes of pedaling will get us there. So Mo is the other main alternative for us, we'll drive down and ride National - Geronimo - road - National loop for lots of technical fun.

I like Hawes, especially some of the Eastern trails. Good fun on the rigid SS, then again I like So Mo on the rigid bike too, oh well.

Sn

·
Registered
656 Posts
mostly white tank competition loops, desert classic at s. mtn. and trail 100. i am not a good technical rider so these are perfect for me.

Rita aka zer0

·
Registered
91 Posts
50-Year Trail

The 50-Year Trail gets almost all of my love these days - its just so damned scenic and it rides like it was designed for singlespeeding. I've had a bit of fun on the Starr Pass trails, and even more on the "G-5 loop", both in the Tucson Mountain Park. I'll be trying Fantasy Island for the first time tomorrow and I suspect I'll be going back for more. I imagine this will all change once the snow is gone from the Sky Islands and the deserts start up with the inferno business. I've only lived in Tucson since August and I have a lot of exploring to do.

When I was a Phoenician, Trail 100 got multiple day and night rides each week, though I lived for my Flagstaff road trips. I've been away from them for almost 6 years, but the trails around Schultz Creek/Dry Lake Hills trail system are the spiritual center of my bicycle universe.

In between Phoenix and Tucson were 5 long years in Sacramento, but this is the Arizona forum, so I'll keep quiet on the NorCal subject.

This is your standard snapshot of the 50-Year Trail.

Why are the bikes laying down? Because they're too tired.

I'll see you when I see you.
AZB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts