Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just scored this cheap on eBay since i was the only bidder :D now i'm wondering how difficult it would be swap this spider and chainrings out from the 2x9 set up i've got now?

i'm going to the nmbs xc race in deer valley in a week and then doing the firecracker 50 a week later so i figured i'd swallow my pride and get some gearing help since deer valley xc and the breckenridge marathon course are not houston flatlander friendly.

i just read somewhere that i'll need a special cannondale crank puller and possibly a longer Si crank spindle for the 3x9 setup is this the case?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
What spindle length do you currently have and what frame again? Basically, you would need the Hollowgram crank puller to take the drive-side arm off the spindle and the spider lock ring tool to take the 2x9 spider off and put the 3x9 on.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan Gerous said:
What spindle length do you currently have and what frame again?
it's what ever comes stock on the 08' scalpel team edition 2x9 set up, i guess the spindle isn't gonna work with the 3x9 i kinda thought that after i bid on the item.

Dan Gerous said:
Basically, you would need the Hollowgram crank puller to take the drive-side arm off the spindle and the spider lock ring tool to take the 2x9 spider off and put the 3x9 on.
yeah i figured that two seconds after i bid on the spider and chainrings that i'd need some special tools that i don't have to get it to work with my current set up.

my local shop is not a cannondale dealer and i've only been to the cannondale dealer that i bought my bike from twice once to order and once to pick up so i don't have a homeboy "can you fix it today" type of hook up there.

i've got a feeling that i'm gonna be running my 2x9 in utah and colorado :bluefrown:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will work, if I'm not mistaken, the 08 Team Replicas all come with 132mm spindles even though some frames could be better off with narrower ones. I'd just call the Cannondale shop and ask if they can do it. Shouldn't be too long and if you call and ask in advance, you may be able to set an appointment to do it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to be honest i don't think i'll get the item in time i just won it this morning and i wouldn't of bid on it normally but it had less than 5min. to go and zero bids so i thought why not...

i'm leaving tuesday night and driving straight through to park city utah from houston texas a 23 hour trip so even if i get it on saturday or monday there is not gonna be enough time for me to get on over to the cannondale shop and get things squared away.

looks like it will be re-eBayed next month.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well... item came as promised i'm thinking about buying a set of used cannondale si crankarms and extra BB for an easy swap option rather than changing spiders on and off anyway thanks for the advice tho'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.