Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding 5 years, and just started doing a bit of work on my bike on my own.

I currently have an Aerozine bottom bracket and crankarms, with a generic 32t ring (SS). The BB is terrible, so I ordered a Chris King that should be arriving today. These are my cranks (in pink, of course), and this is the current BB.

To remove this BB, and install my new Chris King BB, i'm pretty sure This Park Tool BBT-9C is the only tool i'll need, correct?

However, in order to get to said BB, I need to remove the cranks. So, my question, what tools will I need to remove my cranks? Is this what I need? Or will that not even fit and I'll need something else? Will I need some allen keys? What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance. I really like working on my bike myself, but I find the biggest challenge is selecting / owning the right tools! :madman:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The cranks should pop off after you loosen/remove the bolts. May have to lightly persuade them with a rubber mallet.
Thanks for your response... this is the part I'm more worried about, though. Will an allen key suffice? Or do I need the crank puller?

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,804 Posts
That should be all you need. However, I prefer this. Makes it possible to use a torque wrench for install.

Also, on some frames, the non-socket version won't work as there may be interference from the chain-stay making it hard, if not impossible to engage the BB cup, because the BBT-9C is so wide around.

The cranks should pop off after you loosen/remove the bolts. May have to lightly persuade them with a rubber mallet.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,804 Posts
BTW, only the left side really "comes off". The RS crank arm is attached to the spindle....it is just pushed through the bottom bracket from the right side. So to remove the RS, once the left side crank arm is off, just gently tap the shaft from the left side to remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts