Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what everybody is carrying and how they are attaching it to the bike or are they carrying it there jersey. Here is my list:

Small multitool
(2) plastic tire levers
(1) 20 gram CO2 cartridge
(1) 29" tube

I'm thinking about ditching the tube and tire levers. I'm running my wheels tubeless right now and haven't had a major flat in a while that I needed to put a tube in. I also carry my stuff in a small pouch under the seat. Thinking of just putting it in a pocket on my jersey.

Erik

·
Rice.
120 Posts
What's in my jersey pocket or is attached to my seatpost:

1 tube (depending on course/likelihood of flatting)
1 big air CO2 cartridge
1 multitool
1 tire lever

Running tubeless, of course.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,749 Posts
Tubless here of course. If I have to install a tube it is game over for me 'cause a pinch flat is almost bound to happen. So absolutely no tubes. I can patch a tire faster than I can change a tube anyway because I don't have to take the tire off for that. I also have tire plugs which can be used for small holes and is very quick. Patches are for extreme situations. Haven't needed one in a race yet, and I always make sure my tires have plenty of Stans.

Patch kit which includes
paper towel to remove slime
patches
rubber cement
scraper
tire plugs (by Innovations)

Tire lever
Allens
Presta remover
2 oz. of Stans
Big Air

I think tha's it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use an awesome strap race under my saddle stuffed with a tube, 2 tire levers, multitool w/ chaintool, KMC missing link, and a CO2 inflater. I've had races ended by just about anything and would rather carry a few extra grams (all up on my carbon hardtail with the pack is still just 22.2 lbs) and finish at least than DNF. Only thing that will end my race is a rear hub going out or a frame breaking.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Me too. And a masterlink.

What's in my jersey pocket or is attached to my seatpost:

1 tube (depending on course/likelihood of flatting)
1 big air CO2 cartridge
1 multitool
1 tire lever

Running tubeless, of course.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just curious to see what everybody is carrying and how they are attaching it to the bike or are they carrying it there jersey. Here is my list:

Small multitool
(2) plastic tire levers
(1) 20 gram CO2 cartridge
(1) 29" tube

I'm thinking about ditching the tube and tire levers. I'm running my wheels tubeless right now and haven't had a major flat in a while that I needed to put a tube in. I also carry my stuff in a small pouch under the seat. Thinking of just putting it in a pocket on my jersey.

Erik
This is me exactly. I used to carry levers, air and tube, but now I just carry air (in jersey pocket). Here is my (probably flawed) logic - my races are short - usually not more than an hour. If I flat I'm probably out of it anyway as I can only change a tire so fast. So now I just carry some air. Yes, this mean when/if I flat, I have a long walk back, but for all the races I don't flat, I don't have to worry about carrying levers and a tube. Would be interested to see what more experienced guys say.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
In byekyle strap on seat:
1 16g C02 with head
1 26" tube
1 tire lever

In jersey pocket:
1 topeak small chain breaker with a 4mm allen taped to it
1 extra C02 (only for long races)

Taped on shifter housing:
1 KMC master link

·
Registered
376 Posts
What's a good light multi-tool with just the basics?

I currently carry:
tube
2 plastic levers
loose allen wrenches
KMC missing link
chain tool
small frame mounted pump

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
For races with multiple 4-5 mile laps, nothing. I don't mind DNF'ing and would be happy to enjoy the race from the sides rather than fix the mechanical.

If its a classic race with one big loop: tube,c02 cannister, multi-tool. The last one being the most important if you ask me... these days you're more likely to break a chain than have a flat if you're running tubeless like we all do (right?).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good thread guys. Here's a question for you. What multitool do you use that has a chain break that 'actually' works?Ive yet to find one. (I've tried many that just don't seem to allow the leverage required to push out the pin or the pin breaks/bends after a single use). As such I carry a heavy park tool chain break that works great but is waaaay to heavy
Thx
J

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good thread guys. Here's a question for you. What multitool do you use that has a chain break that 'actually' works?Ive yet to find one. (I've tried many that just don't seem to allow the leverage required to push out the pin or the pin breaks/bends after a single use). As such I carry a heavy park tool chain break that works great but is waaaay to heavy
Thx
J
I have this, and have used the chain tool on shimano chains several times without problems. It also has torx.

·
is turning a big gear
505 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I am considering dropping the camelbak for this seasons races and using bottles instead.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slightly off topic, but I am considering dropping the camelbak for this seasons races and using bottles instead.
I have (2) suggestions for this.

Under (2) hours-(2) bottles, one on frame with water, one in my middle pocket on my jersey filled with a little HEED.
Over (2) hours- Camelbak Racebak. (Want to buy)

CamelBak® - 2012 RaceBak Men's

Erik

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
For longer XC races, similar to everyone else.
-Stuff to replace a flat (tube, one pedros tire lever, ultraflate with two 10g CO2s)
-multitool (crank brothers 17)
-fuel for the body (EFS gel in flask).
-Water bottles on a cage.

For our weekly series: NADA. Just water bottle with some powder. That course never gets too far from the parking lot.

BTW, Pedros tire levers are awesome. I think I donated the blue Park ones to the bike collective.

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
What's a good light multi-tool with just the basics?
I gave up on looking for a multi-tool that had just what I wanted, nothing else, while at the same time being practical and functional. Too small, too clumsy, not enough tools I need, more tools than I want...

It was easier to just carry all of them separately.

I swap up the contents accordingly, but the 4, 5, 6, and 8mm attachment are always in there. I've added the Genuine Innovations tire plug tool since then.

Lever, tube, and CO2 are all strapped under the seat with a Race Strap (the extra CO2 is for backcountry type races).

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
On race day. I carry nothing but a small multi tool to re-align brakes or saddle in a crash. If I have a mechanical there is no chance of winning thus the race is already over. Over the last 5 seasons only one flat during a race and it was a 5 inch tear in the sidewall. Nothing I carried was going to fix that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For those who carry a tube and ride a 29er, a 26" tube will work fine for you in a pinch, is a tad lighter/smaller, and gives you the opportunity to share it with all your catastrophically flatted friends (and enemies) = good karma.

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
For those who carry a tube and ride a 29er, a 26" tube will work fine for you in a pinch, is a tad lighter/smaller, and gives you the opportunity to share it with all your catastrophically flatted friends (and enemies) = good karma.
But it does take a little more finagling and patience to get it in the tire, not to mention that it stretches the tube a little thinner making it more fragile (from experience).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts