Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my new bike im getting back into riding. Im looking to build a set of tools for those longer rides....

I use UST tubeless so im thinking i'll bring at least one inner tube and a compressed air pump.

Im looking for reccomendations in terms of tools to carry and anything else?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Multi-tool
Chain tool (If not in above)
Spare chain links
Tubeless puncture repair kit (the type you can plug punctures from the outside)
Emergency tyre sidewall patches
Tyre levers and spare tube in case it all goes wrong (also conventional puncture repair kit)
CO2 tyre inflator (plus 2 spare cartridges)
Combined Shock/Tyre pump (longer rides only)
Spare rear mech hanger (if it's the bolt on type)
Cable ties
Disposable gloves

·
Registered
217 Posts
1. your cardiovascular system
2. set of balls
3. determination
4. mini-pump shock/tire
5. multitool compact
6. first aid kit
7. cell phone w/extra battery
8. mini bottle of lube
9. as below - hanger, cable, chain links, tubes

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Multi-tool
Chain tool (If not in above)
Spare chain links
Tubeless puncture repair kit (the type you can plug punctures from the outside)
Emergency tyre sidewall patches
Tyre levers and spare tube in case it all goes wrong (also conventional puncture repair kit)
CO2 tyre inflator (plus 2 spare cartridges)
Combined Shock/Tyre pump (longer rides only)
Spare rear mech hanger (if it's the bolt on type)
Cable ties
Disposable gloves
That's almost exactly what I carry, short of cable ties, gloves, and der. hanger. I don't generally go on rides too far from civilization, so I normally carry one tube an a CO2 inflator with two co2's. I often carry a pocket knife and always a cell phone, especially if alone, and a digicam in my shorts/jersey pockets. A new item I've stuffed in my seat bag is an emergency snake bike kit. Rattlers our out, and when it's hot, they are fast...

BM

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
jeffscott said:
Please describe the flat repair for UST from the outside of the tire?
I use the Panaracer tubeless repair kit. It basically consists of a sheet of rubber and a big needle. You simply cut a 2 mm wide strip off the rubber sheet, thread it through the needle, cover it in glue and then push the needle through the hole in the tyre, pull it back through again and then trim off the strip. The rubber strip plugs the hole and will last for the remaining life of the tyre. No need to even remove the wheel. I also use a little tyre sealant which plugs small holes anyway and helps to locate bigger punctures. I've plugged about a dozen holes with this kit so far with 100% success. Never had to resort to a tube since.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
When riding, I carry:
one multi-tool,
one "good" tire lever,
one light tube, and
one tire pump.
If it's broken beyond what that can fix, I'll push it back.
so far, so good.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
If it's broken beyond what that can fix, I'll push it back
ouch, obviously you don't ride epics. i would hate pushing for 40km...

tubes and patch kits, power bars, chain tool, allen keys/multitool, tire pump, shock pump (air shocks), zip ties, der. hanger, spare bolts (ie. shock bolts), extra chain links, first aid stuff, little cresc. wrench, knife, lighter, screwdriver, lube, jacket/socks, and camera.

cell phone is pretty much useless on 90% of my rides.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Silca Impero pump
Spare tube.
Thats all. I haven't broken a chain in so long that I don't bother carrying a chain tool anymore. I don't need tire tools. I mount and dismount the tire like a sewup. I stretch it and pop it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
whilst riding....
bike multitool. topeak mini 18 wit hchain breaker.
general purpouse multitool. gerber suspension
tyre levers.
puncture repair kit
mini pump.
mini combination lock - so i can have a bun without worrying too much.
mobile phone - fully charged.
money / bank card - for the aforementioned bun / cake...

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
Ouch is right!

ferday said:
ouch, obviously you don't ride epics. i would hate pushing for 40km...

tubes and patch kits, power bars, chain tool, allen keys/multitool, tire pump, shock pump (air shocks), zip ties, der. hanger, spare bolts (ie. shock bolts), extra chain links, first aid stuff, little cresc. wrench, knife, lighter, screwdriver, lube, jacket/socks, and camera.

cell phone is pretty much useless on 90% of my rides.
Yes, for an epic, I would carry more, but I'm talking an extra power link for the Sram chain and a snack (no socks needed).

Most of my rides are 7-15miles round trip, so pushing could still be a pain, especially as there are typically 1100-2200 ft decents involved. Still, I carry (as I said): one tube, one lever, one multi-tool, and one pump. I should also say I keep my bike very well maintained. Maintenence and a those few tools have kept me from walking (so far).

·
Registered
81 Posts
dogzilla said:
So how do you actually find a puncture on the trail? Assumine its not obvious like a thorn or whatever? I dont intend to carry around a water spray to check for bubbles!
Pump it up real good and go over it slowly and you'll eventually find the hole. You can try running the tube by your ear and maybe you'll be able to hear where the hole is. If the hole is so small that you can't find it this way and you need water and bubbles, then it's probably small enough that it takes a sufficiently long time to let the air out so that you can ride quite a distance after you pump it up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
jeffscott said:
Please describe the flat repair for UST from the outside of the tire?
if its just a puncture on a UST tire ....pinch the tire at the hole to open the hole up, then put a few drops of superglue in the hole, let the hole close and give a few seconds to dry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.