Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race XC with the average race taking between 1.5 - 2 hrs / 15 - 25 miles. In the past I have ridden with a hydration pack with plenty of room for tools / tube etc. but plan on just using bottles and a saddle wedge pack this season. Was planning on the following in the wedge pack but given the length of the race not sure if it's overkill (BTW I run tubeless)

- CO2 Inflator
- (2) 16g CO2 cartridges
- Small multi tool
- Tire levers
- Spare tube

Really debating the spare tube. It is by far the bulkiest item and by the time I get the tubeless presta valve out and new tube in (and am covered in Stan's) I will be out of contention anyway. What do you carry?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Normally for smaller races, the I y thing I take is water in the back I my jersey. In a short race, and I get a flat, by the time it takes to put a tube in and inflate it, I'd be out of the race. However if I'm not planning to be competitive, I'll bring a
tube
multi tool
Tire levers
2 16g co2s and inflater...

Think that's all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just carry a multitool and spare chain link. I suppopse I should have a tube and CO2 but I'm pretty competitive so if I catch a flat my race is over anyway.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm a back of mid pack when I'm fast. Tubless, always carry a spare tube, co2, Park tool MT-1, levers stuffed in my hydro pack.

#1 reason to always carry tube....you never know who else will flat or DNF too......it could be your guy to beat. You have tube, you have a finish......

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Flat kit, multi tool, spare link. For a while, I wasn't. I'm mid-pack in Sport, but figured the race couldn't be that strung out behind me. The tail can be pretty long, though, and the walk back sucks. I don't think carrying a few tools slows me down that much.

·
more skier than biker
2,363 Posts
Depends on the race.......on an extremely non-technical course such as Sea Otter guys might consider racing tubulars, i carry nothing. On a course such as Downieville that eats bikes and spits them out as confetti, i carry the usual (tube, co2, tool, link)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Depends on location but a multitool, tube, scab patches, & air of some kind.. If you flat you may be out of the running but do you want to walk out from the farthest point on the race course?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I always carry the following no matter what the race isl: tube, Co2, tire lever, quick link, and multi-tool. On longer endurance stuff I'll double up on things like tubes and Co2. I really don't want to be stuck 10-20 miles out in the woods and have to walk out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts