Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my LBS yesterday looking for some tools etc. for a bike that I'll be taking out on some longish trails and forrest roads. I was planning on getting a multitool to avoid the "oh s**t I borrowed that tool and didn't put it back" problem I seem to have but I really didn't like anything I saw there. One looked like a re-branded Park mtb-3 and the other was a Crank Bros of some kind. Both seemed really heavy and had tools that I don't think I'll need on the trail (4mm & below hex wrenches, pedal wrench etc). So what do you guys carry? It seems like all I really need are:

hex wrenches 2x
screw driver 1
chain tool 1
tire tool 2
spare tube 1
pump 1

Is there anything I'm missing?

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Lets see I have the Topeak Hummer which has most of what I need:
1-8 Hex
Torx, if you have disc
Chain breaker; also Sram Masterlink
Leatherman
Tire levers
2 tubes
pump
Patch kit

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Topeak multitool that I bought years ago, but looking back on how I've used it I think I would have been fine with on 99+% of my rides with:

- spare tube
- patch kit
- pump
- chain tool
- 5 mm allen wrench.

I know people who carry lots of crap that I'd never even considered taking on a ride before -- like spare spoke nipples -- and others who think they can fix anything with duct tape, zip ties, and rocks they find on the side of the trail because they grew up watching too much television, but I think you'll be more than all right with what you have.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
FWIW I was a mechanic for 5 years when I was in college. I carry:

1 tube (for the first flat)
pump (the crank bros micro pump is awsome)
patch kit (for flats # 2,3,4,etc.)
fold up allen key set in metric sizes
a stuby screwdriver that I got at autozone it has both philips and flat bits
a small chain tool

In most cases I would advise against tire levers you really should not need them. Also, tire levers should never be used to put the tire back on the rim. If used to put the tire back on there is a good chance that the tube will be squeezed under the tire bead and pop when you fill it back up with air

·
Registered
89 Posts
My kit

Small Multi-tool (w/out chain tool)
Chain tool
2 tire levers
SRAM power link
tube
patch kit
pump or CO2
spare cleats
cable ties
duct tape
knife

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
I carry the following:
Pedros multi-tool (has all the hexes, chain breaker, and tire levers)
Disk brake rotor star wrench
Extra long small allen wrench to adjust the brake levers (can't be done easily w/multi-tool)
Extra R/D hanger
Blackburn hand pump
Tubes
Zip ties
Extra chain links
Lube
Small knife
Some swatches cut out of a Thompson seatpost bag to use in case of a cut tire
And of course asprin and gel packs....

·
Registered
197 Posts
What Crank Brothers "Mini Pump" are you guys talking about? I have a blackburn "mini" pump and it has been giving me some problems. I may purchase another one and try the CB Mini if I knew what the model was.

I carry in my CamelBak Lobo the following:
CB Multi Tool 19
Tire Levers
Pump
Patch
Cell Phone
Sometimes a Tube...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Duh, toilet paper.

$20 bill
duct tape wrapped around the pump
30ml of Prolink
patches
tube
allen set
chain breaker
better tahn a Leatherman type tool
water

These next few are in a ziplock snackbag
that is removed depending on weather.
motrin
folded up 33 gal trash bag (rainy season)
ear plugs (below 45 degrees)
bandages
hikers foot warmers

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Guital2 said:
do you carry a chainbreaker just in case you mangle a link? is that its purpose?
Yes, and other reasons. If your chain breaks, you'll need it to put your chain back together. If you mangle your derailleur, you can shorten your chain and bypass the derailleur. Once my wifes chain jumped the small chain ring and wedged between the BB and crank. I had to break the chain to get it out.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Gaffney10 said:
What Crank Brothers "Mini Pump" are you guys talking about? I have a blackburn "mini" pump and it has been giving me some problems. I may purchase another one and try the CB Mini if I knew what the model was.
It's this one http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pump/product_22490.shtml

Very small could fit in a shirt pocket
light weight
works on presta and schrader valves, no adapters needed
two speed feature works well
inexpensive 15.00
very slow to fill a tire lots of pumping and hard to pump at higher presures but considering the size of the thing these are limitations that you would have to expect

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I carry...

-Topeak Alien multi tool, circa 1995 when they first came out
-Spare tube, glueless patches, and regular patches
-The Ubiquitous Crank Bros. Mini Double Shot pump
-Zip Ties
-Sram Power Link
-Tire levers
-First Aid Kit
-$25

-For longer rides I'll also bring a knife or leatherman, some oil, a small LED headlight, a "space blanket" and some matches

·
Registered
353 Posts
What I carry in my camelback (other than water):

Topeak Alien (heavy, but has everything including a chain tool and spoke wrenches - when I had V brakes I actually used the spoke wrenches a couple of times when I tweaked a wheel a bit)
Patch kit
Sidewall patches
mini pump
spare tubes (2)
extra chain links (keep them in the tire patch kit)
spare derailleur hanger
zip ties
star wrench
keys, wallet and sometimes cell phone
occasionally carry glasses case with interchangable lenses
I might add some minimal first-aid kit (bad-aids, tape, gauze, alchohol wipes) but I usually just ride bloody if I cut myslef or rinse in a creek
I also have a bottle of lube in my pack, but I should remove it for short rides.
A pen and scrap of paper in case I need to leave a note

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
nmos said:
I was at my LBS yesterday looking for some tools etc. for a bike that I'll be taking out on some longish trails and forrest roads. I was planning on getting a multitool to avoid the "oh s**t I borrowed that tool and didn't put it back" problem I seem to have but I really didn't like anything I saw there. One looked like a re-branded Park mtb-3 and the other was a Crank Bros of some kind. Both seemed really heavy and had tools that I don't think I'll need on the trail (4mm & below hex wrenches, pedal wrench etc). So what do you guys carry? It seems like all I really need are:

hex wrenches 2x
screw driver 1
chain tool 1
tire tool 2
spare tube 1
pump 1

Is there anything I'm missing?
That pretty much covers it. I carry a multi-tool (there are about a zillion brands out there to choose from), tire levers, an extra tube, a glueless patch kit (for that second flat :eek: ) and a pump. I also carry a pair of latex gloves to keep my delicaite leetle fingairs free of any nasty ol' grease and dirt! Yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
In this case, a picture is worth, oh, about two dozen words...

In my case, this kit is tailored to supporting the 5 bikes shared between my wife and I, two with bolt-on axles, two with hidden or hard-to-reach suspension pivots, one with a coaster brake, two with Speedhubs. Oh, and a Sun DS1-XC rim.

So that weird crap in there -- the 15mm stubbie, the T-20 Torx, 8mm open-end, and the big-ass tire levers -- it all has a purpose that multi-tools won't support.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The basic kit stays in the camelbak all the time (3"x6" packed in an old sunglasses bag):
1 tube
Power Inflator head + Cartridge
Tire Lever (added when I switched to tubeless -- too hard to get on/off rim w/out)
Park Spoke wrench
Alien Tool (the chain tool works well, has the big allen to tighten cranks)
3-way Allen wrench (works better on seat & seat post than the Alien)
2mm 90* Allen Wrench (need the bent wrench to adjust brake lever throw)
Duct Tape
2 zip ties
gauze bandage
$20 bill (very sturdy patch for a cut in a tire + emergency food/call/ride, etc)

In the camelbak I always keep:
Gu
Trash bag (ultimate survial tool)

For long/remote rides I add:
cellphone
pump
Petzl Zipka LED headlamp
lube
wallet
single serving packet of sunscreen

The thing I don't carry that I've thought about adding for long trips is a seapost binder&bolt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.