Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a specialized p2 2004 and The bb is being a jerk so I pulled off the box guide and the cranks to check it out. The thing is way to tight so I tryed loosening the lockring with the tool thats like a u with a point on each end...I dont know tool names ok so sue me. That kept slipping out because its got square slots on the ring...so I went to that tool thats like a wrench with a one sided hook on it...that busted out a pice of aluminum and didnt turn the thing at all. Just to make sure I did it both ways so im not just cranking the wrong way.

So what bloody tool do I need?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Khan said:
Ok, I have a specialized p2 2004 and The bb is being a jerk so I pulled off the box guide and the cranks to check it out. The thing is way to tight so I tryed loosening the lockring with the tool thats like a u with a point on each end...I dont know tool names ok so sue me. That kept slipping out because its got square slots on the ring...so I went to that tool thats like a wrench with a one sided hook on it...that busted out a pice of aluminum and didnt turn the thing at all. Just to make sure I did it both ways so im not just cranking the wrong way.

So what bloody tool do I need?
so, you've got a shimano hollowtech crank or ?
seriously, check out the parktool.com repair section & you'll figure it out.
Get the proper tool! On old square taper BB's I've often needed more torque to get things loose, so use a cheater bar.
also note that the driveside BB cups are reverse threaded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so the tool I used is called a spanner or something like that. This is a 2004 hussefelt isis bb with aluminum lockrings. I dont need more torque, that just chunks off bits of the ring...Im at a summer camp so we have alot of tools but Ill probably just have to take it in...lame.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The thing is way to tight

What led you to believe this? BB's don't spin freely, especially without the cranks attached.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bikinfoolferlife said:
The thing is way to tight

What led you to believe this? BB's don't spin freely, especially without the cranks attached.
Obviously, but when you try to turn them by hand and they seriously resist your doing so then you have a problem...look I may not be a pro but I work on bikes all summer every year so that I have something to teach kids with at camp. Using aluminum lockrings seems kinda stupid on a dirt jumper, i mean the bike already weighs a ton, its not like they are knocking it down all that much.

Skate: That looks like exactly what I need, thanks. I just hate proprietary tools...they piss me right off.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Khan said:
Obviously, but when you try to turn them by hand and they seriously resist your doing so then you have a problem...look I may not be a pro but I work on bikes all summer every year so that I have something to teach kids with at camp. Using aluminum lockrings seems kinda stupid on a dirt jumper, i mean the bike already weighs a ton, its not like they are knocking it down all that much.

Skate: That looks like exactly what I need, thanks. I just hate proprietary tools...they piss me right off.
Your OP didn't indicate what led you to need to adjust the bb (the bb "being a jerk" isn't very descriptive). If you work on bikes all summer (assuming other people's), you should learn to select the correct tool before using it on the bike, but maybe you're just abusive to your own bike. What has a proprietary tool have to do with this? Nothing wrong with aluminum lockrings when used correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Your OP didn't indicate what led you to need to adjust the bb (the bb "being a jerk" isn't very descriptive). If you work on bikes all summer (assuming other people's), you should learn to select the correct tool before using it on the bike, but maybe you're just abusive to your own bike. What has a proprietary tool have to do with this? Nothing wrong with aluminum lockrings when used correctly.
Guy, Im not trying to attack you. As for the correct tool, the spanner is what I had used on every lockring before this...everyone makes mistakes.

The proprietary tool is the torx tool that skate mentioned. Its not used on most bikes out there and it doesnt come in most tool sets...so i figured proprietary was a close to accurate word.

I hate it when people think your attacking them just because you quote them in a slightly defencive manner.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Don't know what attack you're talking about. Just trying to determine what you know/don't know. The tool pointed out by skate is made by several folks, Park and Shimano also offer versions; mine is a Shimano and came with my first gen XTR crankset and I need it for the spider as well as the bb, but it's only marginally useful on other Shimano cranksets I've got, and no other bb's. FWIW Torx is a dumb and somewhat confusing brand name Price Point/Sette came up with, torx fasteners have nothing to do with this line of tools from PP/Sette. Lots of parts on various bikes need specific tools; seems you've got a lot to learn about what's out there in the way of bikes and what specific tools are required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts