Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
{Believeland}
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Ibex Iggy super, for Christmas i was given several parts for my bike as well as 150 bucks to buy/upgrade what i want on my bike. But my problem is that i have no idea what i should upgrade first. So i figured i would let my ibex buddys help me out with my decision. I'm looking to upgrade whatever parts need it most desperately... everything on the bike is in great working condition and finely tuned. So what shall i upgrade first? Here are the specs:
Fork: Manitou Relic 130mm
Rear Shock: Manitou Radium RL
Shifters: SRAM X7 Trigger
Front Derailleur: SRAM X7
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
Crankset: FSA Moto with a RaceFace bashgaurd
Chain: KMC Z9200
Brakes: Avid BB-7 Mechanical Discs
Rotors: Avid 7" Roundagon (185mm)
Levers: Avid SD-7
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc All-Mountain
Hubs: Formula Disc
Tires: WTB VelociRaptor (26" x 2.10)
Headset: Aheadset TH-888S
Handlebar: TruVativ xc XR
Stem:: TruVativ XR 4-Bolt OS Alloy
Seatpost: TruVativ XR Single-Clamp
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Pedals: Azonic Pookie
Grips: ODI Ruffian

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

·
I win.
713 Posts
I vote to hold on to the cash and upgrade when something breaks. I know that isn't as exciting of an option but when you finally snap off a derailluer or need a new cassette that $150 will be nice to have laying around :)

And like you said, the setup is already really nice! No reason to swap out new fully functioning stuff :)

Haha sorry to be the voice of reason!

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
POOPPER said:
I vote to hold on to the cash and upgrade when something breaks. I know that isn't as exciting of an option but when you finally snap off a derailluer or need a new cassette that $150 will be nice to have laying around :)

And like you said, the setup is already really nice! No reason to swap out new fully functioning stuff :)

So much for the voice reason......

·
Registered
384 Posts
Popper252 said:

I know that is a solid plan and I don't want attack it. But maybe it can also be good if he buys new parts but keeps the old ones so if he DOES break say the new x9:) he can always slap on the x7 and keep riding, but still got to enjoy newer parts, but of course the x9 can handle its own weight

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The first things I would look into are getting a better fork with a 20mm thru axle, there are some killer deals out there on Manitou Minute forks right now. I would also look into getting a Joplin, Gravity Dropper or AMP seatpost. Those things take the fun factor to a whole new level!

edit: you could also pick up a new set of wheels

·
{Believeland}
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for some great ideas you guys, i really appreciate it! couple questions though... as far as tires go; how wide of a tire can i put my wtb rims? and becasue i have never used a X9 i don't know how it compares to my current X7, i like the idea, im just curious how much better the shifting would be. Thanks again and keep the ideas comin :thumbsup:

·
I win.
713 Posts
I went to an x.9 rear derailleur after I snapped off my x.7 and there was a bit of improvement. It seemed like the x.9 gave me a more crisp and precise shift.
From what I've been told though the shifters make more of a difference than anything.
I'm still waiting for my x.7 shifters to die before I upgrade though :) Stupid things just keep on working... geez whats up with that?

You may also want to try blinging out your bike!
Check out this site for cool things like anodized bolts, spacers, skewers, jockey wheels, etc.... LINK
I think it's the little touches that really make the bike yours :cool:

Oh and finally, you could always donate to the popper is broke fund :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
XCkiller said:
I have a 2008 Ibex Iggy super, for Christmas i was given several parts for my bike as well as 150 bucks to buy/upgrade what i want on my bike. But my problem is that i have no idea what i should upgrade first. So i figured i would let my ibex buddys help me out with my decision. I'm looking to upgrade whatever parts need it most desperately... everything on the bike is in great working condition and finely tuned. So what shall i upgrade first? Here are the specs:
Fork: Manitou Relic 130mm
Is there anything about your bike you don't like or feel is not as good as it could be? That would be the best place to start with the UGI. My Atlas came with a Relic fork and it was ok. My first upgrade was to replace that fork with a Nixon with a 20mm thru axle. Not only was the fork so much nicer, the added stiffness was very noticable. I think a fork upgrade will be the best bang for your buck.

·
{Believeland}
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone for the additional suggestions, if i had to choose some things on my bike that i kinda dislike it would have to be; that my front tire seems to wash out alot, my shifts are not always very clean, my chain likes to pop off on hard hits, and my rims stay true for only a couple days :madman: i can live with these problems, but i am sure that most of you know how inconvenient these things can be, and they tend to get a little annoying after a while. hope that helps

·
I win.
713 Posts
Does the chain pop off the front or rear? A few simple screw adjustments could fix it coming off the back.
As for shifting try adjusting the shifter barrels on the triggers.

Not too sure about the rims though.

·
{Believeland}
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, the only time any links were removed was when i initially bought the bike my mechanic removed a couple links because he felt there was too much slack in the chain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You should remove a few more links for proper chain tension. I prefer the RD just shy of full retraction while in the small/small combo.

What parts were given to you? I'm curious.

There were a few suggestions for fork replacement. If you do this, look into getting a better headset. The stack height should change with a new HS, so this should be done with a new fork since the uncut steerer tube allows more room to work with. Overall, this is going to cost a good amount of money, so I don't know if this is viable for you at this time--especially if you go 20mm TA.

The most cost-effective upgrade: folding bead tires and light weight tubes

The most overlooked items: new cables and housings

The rest of your build is fine until things break or start to fail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.