Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 NRS 3 with added disc brakes, and i'm wondering if i should upgrade the front 'rock shox SL' to something, and if so what. I find the front shock bobs alot, and I would like a shock with a lock-out, but i'm also on a very small budget. :(
Please help....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Not familiar with the bike, so I don't know if it's worth upgrading. You might be better off saving your pennies for a new ride. If you like the bike, a new shock will definitely improve it. If you're willing to take a chance, you can find some nice deals on ebay under $150, sometimes much less. Check the reviews on this site to get an idea of what to look for.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Rufudufus said:
Not familiar with the bike, so I don't know if it's worth upgrading. You might be better off saving your pennies for a new ride. If you like the bike, a new shock will definitely improve it. If you're willing to take a chance, you can find some nice deals on ebay under $150, sometimes much less. Check the reviews on this site to get an idea of what to look for.
Dude... the NRS is one of the best Full Suspension bikes ever.... and it's worth upgrading. The 3 was the lowest model from '03 I guess and it's basically the same frame as the 2000+ bucks NRS'. The difference between the NRS line were given by componentry. Pretty much as Giant does nowadays with their Reign/Trance/Faith lines. That's the beauty of Giants. They give you an excellent frame for the money.

Get a Manitou Black on close out at 100m travel. The ones with Lock-out have a nice damping system.

If you want to really upgrade, the best option for you are the RS Reba's. Under 400 and will match perfectly the NRS. Even the most basic model of Reba has all the bells and whistles of more expensive forks.

You're available selection is very short though because of the short travel the NRS was designed for. Max 100mm travel up front.

But I think your frame is definitively upgrade worthy.

Edit---- Another candidate is the RS SID. There are some for cheap out there, now the REBA is taking over. Perfect for the NRS but be warned... it's the lightest and the flexiest fork on earth. Only 80mm travel.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I just rode my buddie's Fuel and he has a RS Psylo on it. What I noticed was how unbalanced the ride was with that shock at whatever setting he had it on.

The efficiency of the rear, read: not super plush. with the super plush front pushed some energy forward towards the softer front in the rough stuff. Kinda like a hardtail with a plush front but much less extreme.

Make sure you get something that matches your rear for a good balanced ride. Whether that is through settings or how a specific fork works. That way angles, geometry, and weight shifts are minimized, meaning you can trust your bike.

I know you can also tune your rear shock to be more plush using a Cane Creek shock. I did this with my previous Fuel - it's nice. The Giant forum can help there.

Have fun ridin!

Mr. P

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya

Warp2003 said:
Dude... the NRS is one of the best Full Suspension bikes ever.... and it's worth upgrading. The 3 was the lowest model from '03 I guess and it's basically the same frame as the 2000+ bucks NRS'. The difference between the NRS line were given by componentry. Pretty much as Giant does nowadays with their Reign/Trance/Faith lines. That's the beauty of Giants. They give you an excellent frame for the money.

Get a Manitou Black on close out at 100m travel. The ones with Lock-out have a nice damping system.

If you want to really upgrade, the best option for you are the RS Reba's. Under 400 and will match perfectly the NRS. Even the most basic model of Reba has all the bells and whistles of more expensive forks.

You're available selection is very short though because of the short travel the NRS was designed for. Max 100mm travel up front.

But I think your frame is definitively upgrade worthy.

Edit---- Another candidate is the RS SID. There are some for cheap out there, now the REBA is taking over. Perfect for the NRS but be warned... it's the lightest and the flexiest fork on earth. Only 80mm travel.
Ya, im pretty sure im going to save for a SID XC front fork. Pretty Expensive, but its a nice shock. And when i do get a new bike, i will probably switch over the front shock anyway, unless I get that Cannondale Scalpel with the Carbon Lefty.

·
Banned
82 Posts
DUDE IF YUR GONNA GET NEW SHOCK GET ONE THAT WILL LAST I suggest a z1 freeride of a drop-off

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Definatelly don't slap a Z1 on there and definatelly don't get the SID, unless you weight 120lbs with full gear on. Check out a Rock Shox Reba, a Fox Float, a Manitou Black or the upcoming R7 or a Marzocchi Marathon SL or Race. You should also consider replacing the rear shock. The one that comes stock on that bike isn't very good. A Fox Float R or RP3 would be your best bet. Cane Creek Cloud 9 is also a very good option, or AD10 which is essentially the same with less adjustibility. There are other ones as well, a Manitou Swinger Air and DT Swiss shocks. You would just have to figure out what length eye to eye you need and what shock stroke.

_MK

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
Ya, im pretty sure im going to save for a SID XC front fork. Pretty Expensive, but its a nice shock. And when i do get a new bike, i will probably switch over the front shock anyway, unless I get that Cannondale Scalpel with the Carbon Lefty.
Unless you're an XC Racer DON'T get the SID, I've heard and read too many stories of that forks flex. Get the REBA SL for under $400US and realistically around $325 US. It comes with motion control/lock-out, positive/negative air adjustment AND can be set to either 80mm, 100mm or 115mm travel via internal spacers. Mine is working superbly after 55 huours and 730+ miles on my Trance3.

NRS Frame is definitely worth upgrading BTW, but I prefer my more active/plush Trance design over the raceir NRS.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha

MK_ said:
Definatelly don't slap a Z1 on there and definatelly don't get the SID, unless you weight 120lbs with full gear on. Check out a Rock Shox Reba, a Fox Float, a Manitou Black or the upcoming R7 or a Marzocchi Marathon SL or Race. You should also consider replacing the rear shock. The one that comes stock on that bike isn't very good. A Fox Float R or RP3 would be your best bet. Cane Creek Cloud 9 is also a very good option, or AD10 which is essentially the same with less adjustibility. There are other ones as well, a Manitou Swinger Air and DT Swiss shocks. You would just have to figure out what length eye to eye you need and what shock stroke.

_MK
I probably only weigh 120 pounds with all gear on. I'm young and am really thinking of the SID, i have checked out the Fox Shocks and i am considering those too...

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NRS is only for XC

LyNx said:
Unless you're an XC Racer DON'T get the SID, I've heard and read too many stories of that forks flex. Get the REBA SL for under $400US and realistically around $325 US. It comes with motion control/lock-out, positive/negative air adjustment AND can be set to either 80mm, 100mm or 115mm travel via internal spacers. Mine is working superbly after 55 huours and 730+ miles on my Trance3.

NRS Frame is definitely worth upgrading BTW, but I prefer my more active/plush Trance design over the raceir NRS.
i ONLY do XC riding, its the best, the SID sounds like the perfect shock for me, and some bikers i know have SID front shocks and have used it for the 24 hour races.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Funny how so many people bag on the Sid

oilerfan30 said:
i ONLY do XC riding, its the best, the SID sounds like the perfect shock for me, and some bikers i know have SID front shocks and have used it for the 24 hour races.
they must be either really great climbers and don't need the light weight, low center of axel to crown and minimal bobbing or shuttlers or never tried on.
Go with the Sid Race if the uphill is as important as the downhill to you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I'd still give a fox fork a good look. It might cost a little more, but the quality is far and beyond anything rockshox has to offer. Plus, they're alot less flexy. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I meant XC RACER, was guessing you were a bit heavier - guess the SID for your weight would prob be stiff enough.

Oilerfan - Houston or Edmonton Oilers.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LyNx said:
I meant XC RACER, was guessing you were a bit heavier - guess the SID for your weight would prob be stiff enough.

Oilerfan - Houston or Edmonton Oilers.
Edmonton and Houston Oiler fan. THey are both good.
I am gonna be doing XC Racing, im doing a 12 hour race this year, probably solo...
I probably gonna just wait 1-3 years and eventually buy a NRS Carbon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.