Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i've got a dilemma. i want to take some weight off my bike, but i can't decide where to do it.

specs:
frame- GF supercaliber
fork- fox f100 rl
stem- bonty rxl
bar- bonty rl
wheels- bontrager race TLR
tires- stan's crow 2.0 for race day
seatpost- bonty rxl
seat- bonty inform rxl
pedals- egg beaters 2ti
crank- shimano lx, newest
rear der- x9 medium
shifters- x0 twisties
front der- lx
cassette- 11-32 xt
chain- sram pc-991 hollow pin
brakes- juicy 5
rotors- alligator 160s

so the things i was deciding between is a new wheelset (bontrager rxl,) new brakes (formula oro k18,) or new crank (xtr.) i know the new wheelset would make the biggest difference, but i don't have an issue with what i have now, and it would be the most expensive upgrade. the brakes would make a huge difference too, as i'm just getting fed up with the constant noise from the juicys. the crankset would be cool, but i don't think it would really make a difference.

as far as other options go, i'm open to ideas, but keep in mind that i work at a trek store, so i'd prefer something from either trek or QBP. we can do stan's stuff too, but it always ends up getting fairly pricey.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brakes are a good bet too.

444g for rotor and caliper for the juicys, 381g for the same for the formulas, so about the same as the crank.

the wheels are 1820g now, the ones i'm looking at are 1540g, so the biggest difference, but twice as expensive too.

as far as weight goes, it's at 25.3 now and i'd like to get it under 25 (short term.)

EDIT: i got the brake weights wrong. the juicys are 444g with rotor, so 342g w/o rotor (approx.) the formulas are 239g w/o rotor for the front, so it would actually be 103g (approx.) a wheel, which would be pretty decent savings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree that wheels are the most expensive, but they are rotational weight and that makes a big difference in handling and climbing. If you could possibly afford the wheels I would do this first. The XTR cranks will offer stiffness, along with their weight savings. The brakes you are riding perform good so I would change them last, but I am riding Formula oro k24's and they are great brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.