Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently riding a guardian and I have been thinking about doing another upgrade.I am curious as to what any fellow Airborne riders would upgrade first? I am looking at some Shimano XT BR-M758 brakes with 160mm rotors for $375 or a Rock Shox Reba RL fork for $500. Right now my brake rotors are warped and noisy so I am leaning towards brakes first. Any advice on either?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've put a few miles on my friends Guardian and if it were me I would upgrade the fork first. Throw some new (inexpensive) rotors on it for now and enjoy that Reba fork.

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
Rotors will warp no matter what ones u have, a clean cresent wrench fixes that in a few minutes. Google it, videos and such explaining it. Just normal maintenance thing. if u want more stopping power just go 180mm up front. Ur brakes stock aren't great but decent enough and fork well..

Personally I'd go after the forks, and look around should be able to find a deal and save a few bucks on them. Stock forks work but ull be happy u got the rebas over getting new brakes first. Then just watch for deals on brakes just the same. May end up with brakes and forks for less than ur planning overall right now.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
IMHO you'd get more bang for your buck with a new air fork. It will change the bike dramatically.

Jeremy

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any opinions on other forks? I dont want to spend a ton of money, 500$ is pretty spendy but I want a decent air fork. Since I just want to do the fork and not wheels and hubs it has to be something thats 9mm QR. Also, is 100mm the longest I should go on the fork? Will going 120mm screw up the geometry and put too much stress on the frame? I found a manitou tower pro 120mm for 250$ thats pretty cheap but its only available in 120mm or 80 but I would like to up the travel a bit

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Any opinions on other forks? I dont want to spend a ton of money, 500$ is pretty spendy but I want a decent air fork. Since I just want to do the fork and not wheels and hubs it has to be something thats 9mm QR. Also, is 100mm the longest I should go on the fork? Will going 120mm screw up the geometry and put too much stress on the frame? I found a manitou tower pro 120mm for 250$ thats pretty cheap but its only available in 120mm

I'm a big fan of the Reba forks, and you should be able to pick up a good Reba RL for less than $500. Last time I checked on Ebay you should be able to pick one up for $350ish if you shop smart. It may not include a shock pump or retail packaging. You can also look at last year's Manitou Tower Pro, there's a lot of good deals to be had out there on them as well.

In regards to fork length, officially if you put a 120mm on there you will void the frame warranty. This is because we build the frame geo around a 100mm fork and also, more importantly, test it on the lab machine to 100mm. An extra 20mm of leverage on there could shorten the lifespan of the frame. How much? We don't know, but since its an unknown we can't account for it and therefor can't warranty against it.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am aware of frame warranty void and added stress but will it screw up the geometry? I just cant pass up a tower pro for $250. Should I just buy the 80mm since that's what the guardian is designed for?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am aware of frame warranty void and added stress but will it screw up the geometry? I just cant pass up a tower pro for $250. Should I just buy the 80mm since that's what the guardian is designed for?

Is it a first-gen (red) Guardian? If so, then get the 80mm. If its a second-gen (black or white), then 80mm would make the steering angle steeper and the BB lower. And if its a first-gen, definitely don't get the 120mm. That's probably pushing it too much IMHO.

If its a second-gen and you buy a 120mm, it will slacken the HT angle by a degree or so and raise the BB by 12-15mm. In the end probably not a huge noticeable change so it should be OK from a riding standpoint, but it will of course void any warranty.......

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First gen, I think ill go 80mm, 120 seems like too much. 80mm seems too short but after all it is an entry level XC 29er. I just cant pass up that great of a fork for 250$

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, for the riding I have been doing I want a bit more travel and slacker headtube, 100mm would be perfect

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I wasn't saving for a HGXO right now I would sell you my 1 1/8" 100mm Reba with a maxle so I could get a tapered Reba or SID.
I'd take you up on that deal but I think what I am going to do is keep the guardian as my 29" XC cruiser bike and pick up an AM bike (hopefully a 27.5" Airborne :) ) sometime next year, that way I don't have one bike that's a "jack of all trades master of none" lol

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
sorry to derail the thread, but were the Goblin's supposed to come with shock pumps for the Reba?
No the shock pump doesn't come with the Reba fork in OE format.

Jeremy

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Wow this fork is amazing!!!! So glad I went with this over the brakes, it totally changes the bike. I think next might be wheels then brakes.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wow this fork is amazing!!!! So glad I went with this over the brakes, it totally changes the bike. I think next might be wheels then brakes.
Good choice! It took me a little while to get my Tower Pro dialed in but once it was dialed in I really liked it.

I'd definitely spend $$$ on wheels first, then brakes.

Jeremy

·
Resident Gear Head
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I have to ride more but I did have to dial the abs down a few clicks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts