Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to Durango for the first time in the end of July and want to get peoples input on what and where to ride down there??:thumbsup:

·
1,529 Posts
Waafoo said:
Headed down to Durango for the first time in the end of July and want to get peoples input on what and where to ride down there??:thumbsup:
Western Slope forum would be a resource. I lived there for 12 years and just moved up here.

People will say Hermosa Creek , but in my opinion, its overrated. Depending on your fitness and interest in 5 hour rides above 11k feet, Molas to Cascade is the best you'll find around. On that note, Kennebeck Pass to town is also awesome.

For shorter rides, obviously Horse Gulch in town is the ticket, or the Colorado Trail / Gudys from town.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Engineer mtn
Kennebec Pass

anything along and near the CT, really

·
Registered
615 Posts
I rode the CT from it's start 15 miles up to the dirt road below Kennebec pass last summer. Great climb, but I was too tired to finish it go all the way to the pass.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Haflin Canyon was always my fav Durango ride but nvr rode it after the big Missionary Ridge fire so don't know how much it changed

·
Registered
118 Posts
From what I understand Trails 2000, the area trails group, & volunteers are in the process of clearing downed trees from Haflin. This will be the first time it is rideable sine the fire in '02.

Waafoo,

I'll 5th the Colorado Trail!!! Can't go wrong!

-

·
Agent of tang
1,141 Posts
ameybrook said:
Western Slope forum would be a resource. I lived there for 12 years and just moved up here.

People will say Hermosa Creek , but in my opinion, its overrated. Depending on your fitness and interest in 5 hour rides above 11k feet, Molas to Cascade is the best you'll find around. On that note, Kennebeck Pass to town is also awesome.

For shorter rides, obviously Horse Gulch in town is the ticket, or the Colorado Trail / Gudys from town.
This is the correct answer. Hermosa Creek is a great ride, and depending on your fitness and skill level it may be the best pick for you. But if you are fit and like at least some technical challenge, the other rides above are the ticket. Kennebec and Molas to Cascade are both in my all time top 5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fast rides

If you want some fast, flowy, roller coaster stuff spend a day exploring the test tracks, or Durango Mountain Park, as it's now called. Ask in a local bike shop, you have to wind through some neighborhoods. Dirt jump bikes can be fun up there...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Cortez: Sand Canyon is a favorite, thru an Anasazi village with ruins. Phil's World is big fun, too. Lower elevation, hit early. Both built by mountain bikers for mountain biking.
After McKenzie River Trail, OR and Clark Fork River Trail #223, MT I think Hermosa is a bit overrated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MSH said:
Haflin Canyon was always my fav Durango ride but nvr rode it after the big Missionary Ridge fire so don't know how much it changed
As of September 2009, Haflin Canyon was rough and ungroomed but nearly all rideable except for a few downed trees. I would recommend approaching Haflin from Florida Coad as the Stevens Creek trail had LOTS of downed trees in its upper reaches. Big climb and agressive descent!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
MSH said:
Great condition, T2000 removed all the downed trees this spring.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Bolam Pass to Blackhawk Pass
CO trail to High Pt from town, out and back
Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade
Jones->Pinkerton Flagstaff->Dutch Creek
Hermosa Creek as an out and back
Park at Bread and ride Dgo Hills to Missionary Ridge and Haflin Creek
Log Chutes from town
Test Tracks from town
Phils and Sand Canyon early in morning
LaPlata Canyon to CO Trail back to town
Horse Gulch from town

Stop by Pedal the Peaks and chat with Cliff, Tom or Rich. They'll have maps and lots of information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts