Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Scott Genius that I use for my all around trail bike. I recently outfitted it with Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 29 x 2.4's. These are on LB 33iW carbon rims. I thought I wanted something that would be a good trail tire, but these are slow, sluggish and feel like a boat anchor on the climbs. My old tires were Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29 x 2.25's on 22mm iW Roval Control SL's. These were my old XC wheels that I used to run with narrow Fast Traks. My gravel bike now scratches that itch. But the RR's felt like they were bending over the narrow rims. Hindsight says I overreacted. So now I'm trying to figure out how to recover as my bike is no longer fun.

I am rethinking my strategy and have been looking at the Bontrager XR3 and XR2 in 2.4 and 2.35. Both claim to be fast rolling. I'm not a big shredder, so they could be adequate for my needs. My question is.... should I just go back to the Schwalbe RR's on the wider rims? They're light and super fast rolling. But my concern is that the wider iW might be too much. And they don't offer the volume of the Bontragers.

Interested in thoughts from those that have ridden both.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd say give the Kenda Booster Pro 29x2.4 SCT a try

That was the first Kenda tire that I've ever tried and I was very positively surprised.

They're LIGHT! They roll definitely faster than XR4 and I still have the XR4 hanging in my garage.
Kenda Booster Pro would be very similar to Maxxis Rekon, but lighter, faster rolling, same grip and cornering, better breaking and better puncture resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

That was the first Kenda tire that I've ever tried and I was very positively surprised.

They're LIGHT! They roll definitely faster than XR4 and I still have the XR4 hanging in my garage.
Kenda Booster Pro would be very similar to Maxxis Rekon, but lighter, faster rolling, same grip and cornering, better breaking and better puncture resistance.

Never heard of these!!! They look very promising. Thanks for the tip.

(Edit) Can't find the SCT anywhere.... but I did find the TR. What's the real world difference???

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second the Kenda Booster and I've tried Racing Ralph, Ardent Race, Mezcal,etc.. It has the grip of a Rekon but 200g less in weight. Definitely go SCT unless your trails have no rocks whatsoever. The TR sidewalls will shred. I blew out my last Booster and unfortunately Kenda said they're not expecting more inventory until winter.

·
Registered
232 Posts

How's the grip comparison between the XR4 and Kenda pro? It seems the XR4 will hold a line way better than the kenda judging by the pattern. I feel like the XR3 is much more comparable to the kenda pro?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I second the Kenda Booster and I've tried Racing Ralph, Ardent Race, Mezcal,etc.. It has the grip of a Rekon but 200g less in weight. Definitely go SCT unless your trails have no rocks whatsoever. The TR sidewalls will shred. I blew out my last Booster and unfortunately Kenda said they're not expecting more inventory until winter.
And here I was thinking that no one else even heard of these tires, since Kenda is just not a popular brand anymore since Maxxis just completely dominated the MTB tire market.
I agree it does look and perform very similar to Rekon, but it's significantly lighter with better puncture resistance and I feel like the Booster Pro has a better breaking performance than Rekon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How's the grip comparison between the XR4 and Kenda pro? It seems the XR4 will hold a line way better than the kenda judging by the pattern. I feel like the XR3 is much more comparable to the kenda pro?
I agree the XR4 should hold the line better than the Booster Pro. But Booster Pro IMO will outperform the XR3 in absolutely every parameter.
I used to have on a previously owned Yeti SB100 the XR4 2.4 in the front and XR4 2.3 in the rear and I really didn't like the XR3 even when we had hero dirt in the fall here in the Bay Area. The pluses of the XR3 were low rolling resistance and weight and good compliance. But traction/grip, breaking, cornering and general predictability was not to my liking. Maybe it's a great tire for a pure XC or XC Race bike, but on a downcountry like SB100 it wasn't a match.
Can't speak for the XR2, since I've never tried one.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Regolith v Booster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[/QU
My go to setup is Booster rear, Regolith front and love it. The Regolith is more aggressive but still nowhere near Minion level. Maybe comparable to a lighter Nobby Nic? Still rolls way faster than any Maxxis tire in it's category but gives that extra grip when my hardpack trails get blown out in the summer. I've also tried it on the rear with a Hellkat up front for rougher terrain and it's perfect.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If of any help to anyone in terms of some actual measurements, I just bought and tubeless-installed a 27.5, 2.6" Booster Pro (SCT, 120 tpi) on the front. Ibis S28 rim with 28.6 iw. Replaced a 2.4" XR4, which I was happy enough with, just wanted to try different width/volume.

Tire mounted fine, rounded profile on the rim. The 2.6" Booster weighs 741 grams (721 +/- 36 grams advertised) and measures 2.45" on the rim at 16 psi. (2.4" XR4 measured 2.34" installed at around 20 psi).

Only one ride on it so far. Initial impressions are positive -- plenty of grip on dry trail (16 psi felt firm enough, not squirmy, in corners, and seems like I could drop it even a few more psi). Held line well over roots and in rock gardens. Time on segment I ride and time most often was third fastest this summer, so time was right there vs. the 2.4" XR4 on front. Obviously need to ride it more, but glad decided to give it a try.

(Have a 2.3" XR3 on the back, kept it on as sort of a control tire while seeing how I like change in the front)

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Thank you for the feedback and measurements. Going to give the Regolith/Booster combo 2.6 a try on my 29” hardtail with 35mm rims. Based on the 2.6 measurement on a 28.6mm internal rim, I should see 2.55”/65mm on a 35mm internal rim.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You bet, glad it helped. I rode this afternoon for the second time since the tire switch, and easily PR'd. Given how many times I have ridden and timed the segment, tire definitely making a difference. The XR4 had 600 miles on it and this one is new, so that's a factor, but fwiw pretty darn happy with the tread/bite/weight on the Booster 2.6.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First tire got here today (second one expected on Monday. ????) Anyway... Super easy to mount. Total PITA to air up. Had to use a lever to pull the bead up onto the step all the way 'round. These rims might have a deep center channel. Pics of the 2.4 XR4 they're replacing at the widest point (knobs) 2.325" and the 2.4 Booster Pro aired up at it's widest point (casing) 2.335" and the width at the knobs 2.245. These seem to run a bit small for a 2.4. These are on 25mm iW rims.

Watch Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Light Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@iEarnest85.... so the second tire came in today and it's NOT the SCT. It's a TR despite being sold as an SCT. i have run S-Work Fast Track on the front before and never had an issue. Never on the rear though. Any experience with these that way??? It's a rigamarole to send these back if I don't have to.... but then again I'm not fond of flats.... especially torn sidewalls.

·
Registered
251 Posts
@iEarnest85.... so the second tire came in today and it's NOT the SCT. It's a TR despite being sold as an SCT. i have run S-Work Fast Track on the front before and never had an issue. Never on the rear though. Any experience with these that way??? It's a rigamarole to send these back if I don't have to.... but then again I'm not fond of flats.... especially torn sidewalls.
Sorry, but unfortunately no experience with the TR.
I normally don't get too many flats, but I really HATE getting flats during my rides. So I personally never run the thinnest compound. I also use 100 - 120 ml of sealant and I run with tire inserts front and back on all of my wheels.

If I was you, I would install the SCT on the rear paired with XR4 in the front for meanwhile and work on replacing the TR with another SCT. After all it's the sellers fault, not yours.

Hope you'll like the Booster Pro.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I have a 2016 Scott Genius that I use for my all around trail bike. I recently outfitted it with Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 29 x 2.4's. These are on LB 33iW carbon rims. I thought I wanted something that would be a good trail tire, but these are slow, sluggish and feel like a boat anchor on the climbs. My old tires were Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29 x 2.25's on 22mm iW Roval Control SL's. These were my old XC wheels that I used to run with narrow Fast Traks. My gravel bike now scratches that itch. But the RR's felt like they were bending over the narrow rims. Hindsight says I overreacted. So now I'm trying to figure out how to recover as my bike is no longer fun.

I am rethinking my strategy and have been looking at the Bontrager XR3 and XR2 in 2.4 and 2.35. Both claim to be fast rolling. I'm not a big shredder, so they could be adequate for my needs. My question is.... should I just go back to the Schwalbe RR's on the wider rims? They're light and super fast rolling. But my concern is that the wider iW might be too much. And they don't offer the volume of the Bontragers.

Interested in thoughts from those that have ridden both.
Most all popular stuff is good these days. We probably define climbs differently because the Bontrager 4 tread has been excellent for getting up and through challenging stuff without feeling what I think of as Minion/Nevegal sort of slow moving from point A to B. The 2 and 3 treads and their similar competition have all seemed great but I don't find they have the "got your back" nature.

YMMV, but a gravel bike is exactly why I've kept general purpose knobby tires whether Bontrager 4 or others on the MTBs. I make the hard tail feel speedier with a Riddler in back. New Bontrager 3s sort of copy that concept.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YMMV, but a gravel bike is exactly why I've kept general purpose knobby tires whether Bontrager 4 or others on the MTBs. I make the hard tail feel speedier with a Riddler in back. New Bontrager 3s sort of copy that concept.
I think you nailed it with this. I used to ride/race XC. Stopped doing that and built a "trail" bike. Kinda put up with 30 lbs and inefficient tires (I can only put out about 200w on a 15-20 min climb, and both those things eat into that low power output pretty quick). Then I built a gravel bike and remembered what my XC bike felt like and how light and fast it was. Now I want the best of all worlds... again. :LOL:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Couple quick comments for aggressive XC tires:
1. My very good riding buddy is longtime rider of Kenda Booster Pro (2.4) in the back. He loves it; it's his standard.
2. Many folks, including me, really like Specialized Ground Control (2.35). Great grip, rolling, and weight for rear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.