Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised earlier here are all of the pics. From getting the box to my basement to 'complete bike' was about 30 minutes. I'm still fine tuning and setting up shocks etc. On to the pics:







Thats what you get from Ibex all laid out, lastly before we move on a 'glamor' pic:






Highlights of the packaging:







Included is a box of goodies, heres what is inside:




Inside that box is a two page instruction list that is straight forward and very simple to understand. Just remember read twice, wrench once. There are seven main sections, Attach Handlebars, Install Wheel, Install Pedals, Inflate Tires, Install Seat, Adjust, Suspension, and Tuning. I'm still on Suspension and Tuning and having a blast learning all about suspension and disc brakes. More pics:











Installing pedals, for those eagle-eyes out there yes they are toeclips instead of clipless pedals. I wear size 14 shoes and good, comfortable shoes are about 1/4 the cost of my Asta. I'll stick with clips for now.









Well thats about it for the assembly. Here is the completed bike and a shot of the damage it caused me ;) damn cardboard!






Just two cool pics I took. More hopefully to come while on the trail:








Thats it, what you can expect when you order an Ibex.

Enjoy,
RCook
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Ya did it RC, 1st pic up..

RCook said:
It's here! Ok this is a teaser, I have to go and help some friends move but I have the pics taken, just need to resize and upload.
I'll leave you with the promise of more soon and this:
"A TEASER" you say..Thats down right crule and inhumane treatment of a captive audience..:lol:

AWESOME COLOR and GRAPHIC's​

Jake


:rant:..WE WANT MORE !!!

:incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Got mine at 9:00 am today, ,just emailed IBEX for return info.I ordered the 18 " frame because I was in between the frame sizes and MBA said that the bike puts you way forward on it. I found that it sits me way rearward I can ride the bike but my arms are way way way stretched out.This bike is just way way way way way to big for me .I don't know what to do now, I don't want to wast my time on the smaller frame because I don't think the 2 inch frame size difference will make that much difference,will it?love the way it looks though.Could not figure out the Ritchy pedals, they give you xtra parts but no instruction on where they go .Other things I didn't like but would be fixed by fine tuning I hope were ,to much pull on break leavers or to much travel before brakes worked, to much play or travel for shifting the gears, I had to reposition my hands to get all the gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
buildingmaint said:
Got mine at 9:00 am today, ,just emailed IBEX for return info.I ordered the 18 " frame because I was in between the frame sizes and MBA said that the bike puts you way forward on it. I found that it sits me way rearward I can ride the bike but my arms are way way way stretched out.This bike is just way way way way way to big for me .I don't know what to do now, I don't want to wast my time on the smaller frame because I don't think the 2 inch frame size difference will make that much difference,will it?love the way it looks though.Could not figure out the Ritchy pedals, they give you xtra parts but no instruction on where they go .Other things I didn't like but would be fixed by fine tuning I hope were ,to much pull on break leavers or to much travel before brakes worked, to much play or travel for shifting the gears, I had to reposition my hands to get all the gears.

You might go to your LBS and sit on a few bikes, change size and see if that 2" matters, I bet it will.

RCook
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Very nice write-up

This should mbe a tremendous help for people who are intimidated by the process of putting the bike together. I think it deserves a sticky.

Do we have a moderator that can sticky this post?

Bob
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
I agree

RCook said:
You might go to your LBS and sit on a few bikes, change size and see if that 2" matters, I bet it will.

RCook
Could be that seat position change might help too. Maybe a call to Ibex to get their thoughts? If not, I guess sending it back is the only option.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
No local bike shop around here has full suspension bikes or I would . I think I 'm going to swap for a 16 inch frame and see how that works.Did you get a x9? Thanks for the photos ,it will help me repack mine lol.I hope the 16 inch works out because I love the way this bike looks ,but in the end its not how the bikes looks but how well you can handle it.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Good idea

buildingmaint said:
No local bike shop around here has full suspension bikes or I would . I think I 'm going to swap for a 16 inch frame and see how that works.Did you get a x9? Thanks for the photos ,it will help me repack mine lol.I hope the 16 inch works out because I love the way this bike looks ,but in the end its not how the bikes looks but how well you can handle it.
Glad to see you're willing to give it another chance. Let us know how it works out.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
RCook said:
You might go to your LBS and sit on a few bikes, change size and see if that 2" matters, I bet it will.
RCook
It will make a difference..:thumbsup:
The set-back on a seatpost, the position of the seat, the height and rise of the handle bar and the lenght and rise of the stem..
All of this figures into the comfort of the rider..

NOW BACK TO RCooks
ASTA​

Nice PICs, your bike is totally AWESOME..I'll be looking forword to your Ride Report..Thanks for share'n your special day..:yesnod:

Jake
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
buildingmaint said:
No local bike shop around here has full suspension bikes or I would . I think I 'm going to swap for a 16 inch frame and see how that works.Did you get a x9? Thanks for the photos ,it will help me repack mine lol.I hope the 16 inch works out because I love the way this bike looks ,but in the end its not how the bikes looks but how well you can handle it.
if your standover is fine maybe try a couple things before resending it back. move the seat forward on its rails, you got about 1/2 inch to move there if its positioned in the middle of the rails. try a shorter stem , 50 or 60 mm, i'm presuming yours is 80-90 mm.
as far as the brakes and shifters go, its only cable adjustments...simple fix.
but if you're standover height isnt right then nothing i wrote will make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Thanks for all the responces but my standover height is zero .I put my Trek 830 beside it and the Asta is way way way bigger then it.I need a 16 inch frame ,my mistake.Can't blame IBEX for this one.I just hope the 16 inch will fit me .I'm 5'6" and my ground to crotch is 27" .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
buildingmaint said:
Thanks for all the responces but my standover height is zero .I put my Trek 830 beside it and the Asta is way way way bigger then it.I need a 16 inch frame ,my mistake.Can't blame IBEX for this one.I just hope the 16 inch will fit me .I'm 5'6" and my ground to crotch is 27" .
oh yeah you definetely need a 16 inch no doubt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Hang in there brother..

buildingmaint said:
Thanks for all the responces but my standover height is zero. I need a 16 inch frame ,my mistake.Can't blame IBEX for this one.I just hope the 16 inch will fit me .I'm 5'6" and my ground to crotch is 27" .
I believe the 16" would fit you fine..As you can see on the chart theres a big difference between the frame sizes..:thumbsup:

2007 Asta X7-X9 Geometry:
Frame Size 16" 18" 20"
Effective Top-Tube Length 22" 23.4" 24.4"
Wheelbase 42" 43.3" 44.3"
Stand over 27" 28.5" 30"
Effective Stand over 29" 30.5" 32"[/SIZE]

Jake
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
Nice pics Rcook

Let me know how your BB holds out. mine fell apart after two weeks use... it isnt on a ibex though, but truvativ did have a bad run of these bb's at the beginning when first put them out.
your non-drive side crank bolt will also come loose alot.... its normal with this specific crank set. red locktite it and you're good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
buildingmaint said:
Thanks for all the responces but my standover height is zero .I put my Trek 830 beside it and the Asta is way way way bigger then it.I need a 16 inch frame ,my mistake.Can't blame IBEX for this one.I just hope the 16 inch will fit me .I'm 5'6" and my ground to crotch is 27" .

I'm 5'6" and would not dream of riding an 18" frame....the 16" will make a huge difference! Is 27" your inseam? That seems a bit short even at 5' 6"
 

·
wannabe corporate shill
Joined
·
365 Posts
It's kind of funny but,

the idea that I would (partially) assemble my bike was a selling point. I have an Alpine 550 and liked the idea that I would put some of it together. It's one thing to scratch a check/swipe the credit card and ride off, and it's completely different to wait for the UPS guy, cut into the box, and put my bike together...Much more exciting and helps in developing a true feeling of ownership.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top