Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
As I'm progressing with my riding I've wanted to try some lift assisted DH style. Dont get me wrong, I love working towards the DH with pedaling up the mountain but I just wanted to give this a try.

Is this something I will be able to do alone? I dont have many riding friends and the ones I do dont really like doing the lift assisted.

I assume there are a lot of people out there but just wanted to see if anyone could throw me some advice, expectations, etc. Make sure if I head up there solo I won't be in a world of trouble.

Thanks

Doug

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
I've never ridden at Ski Bowl but at every other lift park there is a patrol (like ski patrol in winter) that can come haul your carcass down off the hill if you wreck badly. A lift park might actually be a better place to hurt yourself than on some xc singletrack somewhere.

Wear a full face helmet and knee/shin pads.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never ridden at Ski Bowl but at every other lift park there is a patrol (like ski patrol in winter) that can come haul your carcass down off the hill if you wreck badly. A lift park might actually be a better place to hurt yourself than on some xc singletrack somewhere.

Wear a full face helmet and knee/shin pads.
That's what I figured. I have knee pads, full face helmet but missing elbow pads. Think I'll be good.

Just wanted some direction with ski bowl mostly.

We'll see how it goes and just wing it tomorrow

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, skibowl is epic. I had so much fun and ran 10-15 trails today. The dirt is dry in the open and prime in the woods. As I mentioned I went solo so I didnt really push my limits as much as I would have liked to but it was a fantastic intro to ski bowl. I'll be back and if anyone wants a partner to ride with up there let me know.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Historically, Ski Bowl has kind of sucked, but I think they've made some trail improvements over the last couple years.

And I've never been able to figure out if that voice over trails guy is serious or sarcastic. I rarely agree with much he has to say.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Historically, Ski Bowl has kind of sucked, but I think they've made some trail improvements over the last couple years.
Cmon its not that bad. It's no Whistler but for a cheapish low key local spot it's decent. It's not somewhere I would get a season pass but it's good for a DH bike shakedown every now and then. It's got a little of everything from the super fast cannonball bombing run, rock gardens, some open DHish single track, and the terrain park for some jumps/drops. The employees are interesting but they've always been nice when i've gone. Every time i've been there it's nearly empty. Those chairlifts will have you nice and beat up by the end of the day. But for an every now and then spot I can't really complain too much.

And I've never been able to figure out if that voice over trails guy is serious or sarcastic. I rarely agree with much he has to say.
He comes off particularly whiny and has bashed several of what most would agree are good trails. Therefore I would take anything he says with a grain of salt if you even bother to sub to his vids. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Cmon its not that bad. It's no Whistler but for a cheapish low key local spot it's decent. It's not somewhere I would get a season pass but it's good for a DH bike shakedown every now and then. It's got a little of everything from the super fast cannonball bombing run, rock gardens, some open DHish single track, and the terrain park for some jumps/drops. The employees are interesting but they've always been nice when i've gone. Every time i've been there it's nearly empty. Those chairlifts will have you nice and beat up by the end of the day. But for an every now and then spot I can't really complain too much.:
Didn't mean to imply Ski Bowl sucks now, just that in the past what they had to offer wasn't all that fun. I've been going to Ski Bowl off and on over the last 20 years, the place has definitely improved. It just seemed that Mt biking has never been a priority. Hopefully competition with the Timberline bike park will encourage Ski bowl to make some real improvements, they do have better terrain.

He comes off particularly whiny and has bashed several of what most would agree are good trails. Therefore I would take anything he says with a grain of salt if you even bother to sub to his vids. :rolleyes:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Didn't mean to imply Ski Bowl sucks now, just that in the past what they had to offer wasn't all that fun. I've been going to Ski Bowl off and on over the last 20 years, the place has definitely improved. It just seemed that Mt biking has never been a priority. Hopefully competition with the Timberline bike park will encourage Ski bowl to make some real improvements, they do have better terrain.

:thumbsup:
That would be nice. Mt Hood area is just far enough of a drive for me that SkiBowl's lackluster reputation has been enough for me to shy away from making the drive up there. Once Timberline opens, I could see making a weekend of it though, with a day at each park to justify the drive time.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
......Hopefully competition with the Timberline bike park will encourage Ski bowl to make some real improvements......
I got some good looks at the trails being built at Timberline when riding up West Leg road late last summer. Ski Bowl will have an incredible amount of catching up to do if they dream of snagging folks away from Timberline once it opens.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Alright, I had a blast at Ski Bowl today. I didn't even know that they had a bike park until just a couple of months ago. I knew about the alpine slide and trampoline tourist traps but didn't know that they have lift served biking.

The soil was freaking great! I think I counted all of three braking bumps. No wait, make that four. There was that one all by itself.

The place has a very mom-and-pop feel to it. Most of the hubbub at the base was from sightseers and alpine slide... sliders. There were maybe a dozen people on bikes. The trails are mostly of the tech variety but they had some cute attempts at flow trails. Fun nonetheless. There are no trail maps but I did find one map board at the base. The lifties don't seem to have any information about the bike trails. After a few turns I got the lay of the land though. It's not that big of a place.

One bummer was that the hours of operation were listed as 11-7, so decided to take the shuttle up to Timberline for a T2T run in the morning. Then I headed up to Ski Bowl and arrived at 1pm thinking that I'd have six hours to ride. After I bought my ticket and got on the lift I saw a chalkboard sign that said the upper chair was closing at 2:45. There was a wedding going on for which they shut down the entire top half of the mountain. I managed three or four turns up top before closure though. I think they should have disclosed the early shut down at the ticket office before anyone paid up.

There are two fixed-grip two-seater chairs with a heavy crossbar that has a downturn in the middle. On the lower lift that crossbar slams down hard and if you're not sitting with your legs straight the pointy bar will crush your thigh. It's good training to not mansplay.

The views are great and the trails are varied enough. Ridge is a double diamond trail with a steep off camber rocky chute that got me holding my breath a little as there was a small group of guys assembled at the runout. I'm glad I didn't t-bone them. Cannonball has some high speed jumps. Fire Hydrant leads into some great techie black runs. Sunrise and Sunset are some really fun blue runs with a lot of bang for the buck.

On the lower half of the resort there are a few black runs in the trees with good rocky rooty sections and a couple of gaps. Good stuff.

I'd go back again some time.

Sorry about the messed up pics. I also had some more that mtbr wouldn't load. I don't know how to fix the images. Check the rest on Facebook. It's easier to load photos there.

Automotive exterior Reflection Rural area Tints and shades Shade

Nature Natural environment Cloud Forest Terrain

Glass Tints and shades Synthetic rubber Air travel

Sky Cloud Mountainous landforms Mountain range Landscape

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Please don't post that negative review again... you've done that before and I still don't believe you've ever even ridden there? That reviewer can't ride a bike (at least not at DH speeds) and the trail he actually descends (without walking like he does at the top) is for beginners/youth called Gnar Gnar (actually had to look it up since no one rides it). I've ridden,raced and patrolled there on many occasion and Ski Bowl is a lot of fun if you have skills and know the trails. Yeah yeah it's not Whistler but it will give you a challenge and improve your riding if you keep an open mind. The expert DH course is one of the fiercest in the Pacific NW but you won't be riding it unless you know someone on patrol and can prove you have the skills.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Luke Strobel on the Expert Course: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/is-that-a-5-travel-29er-video.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.