Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ride it like you stole it
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to eat the evening prior to a ride/race? Also, what should you eat just before riding? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
The night before? Anything that's not gonna gnaw at your stomach the next day. This past Friday niught, I ate a crock of onion soup, cheesenurger and fries, roast beef and cheese from behind the bar, and hot wings, plus several brews. The morning of the ride? Nothing. I rode for seven hours, and never felt better. It never fails that the days I don't eat in the morning are my best days for riding. Pig out the night before, and drink lots of water with that beer, and skip breakfast. Don't skip the coffee of course.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Carbo load

I'd imagine spagetti would be good. Other pasta and starches too.
You might be able to get more answers on the training forum, unless you are looking for women specific food. Also drink lots of water.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
pasta pasta & more pasta

drewwski123 said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to eat the evening prior to a ride/race? Also, what should you eat just before riding? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)
i'm a big fan of pasta the night before a big ride/race. i usually get/make (depending on whether i eat in or out) mine with meat sauce so i get lots of carbs and protein.

the morning of a race food is a very individual thing. i usually have a protein shake at least 2 hrs before the race and a gu about 30 min before. but each person is different. i would recommend trying different things to see what works best for you.

rt

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
From all of the race day Port-O-Lets I've visited, it seems that most racers prefer a pre-race diet of corn and laxitives.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you're going to carbo load, don't you have to start a couple days prior to get any benefits?

For a pre-race meal or a pre-ride meal I eat a peanut butter and strawberry jelly on hearty whole wheat bread and a glass OJ.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't have a food rituals for riding or racing.

If I know I'm going to be out for a long while I'll eat so as not to get hungry too soon. Rib sticking stuff like oatmeal, tacos with beans and potatoes, PB&J. But mostly I try just try and time my regular small meals for 1 to 2 hours before ride start time.

For racing the same, except being midful of acid producing stuff the night before or morning of. Indigestion during a race is icky.

If you are riding almost daily it becomes just part of the routine to plan a head.

Experiement as mentioned above to figure out what works for you. Don't try new stuff right before a race.

Planning on what to eat immediately after a hard effort is equally important. Recovery can be greatly benefitted by getting the right amounts of carbs and protein in you shortly after that hard effort.

This is something I wish I did more, but once I'm out of training mode I neglect this and end up suffering, DOH!!!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
crazy said:
I'd imagine spagetti would be good. Other pasta and starches too.
You might be able to get more answers on the training forum, unless you are looking for women specific food. Also drink lots of water.
Carbo-loading doesn't work for me - just makes me feel full. I'm much better off sticking to regular balanced meals. I do think it's helpful to make sure you're well-hydrated though.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
*rt* said:
the morning of a race food is a very individual thing. i usually have a protein shake at least 2 hrs before the race and a gu about 30 min before. but each person is different. i would recommend trying different things to see what works best for you.

rt
Definitely varies person to person. My husband has trouble eating breakfast in general and has to go with something light. My favorite pre-ride breakfast, on the other hand, is at Slickrock Cafe - poached eggs with mole sauce, with red beans and rice, with a good amount of hot sauce on top. You've gotta know your stomach though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.