Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what to eat before a training ride on a weekday? I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. I get off work early to ride around 3-4 pm and I have not eaten anything other than a snack (apple/banana) since lunch that was at 12:30. I head to the trail eat a banana and a powerbar on the way and about 1 hour in to the ride my stomach is empty. I do not have a problem with energy output but the hunger I feel is such a distraction. I do not have a problem if I ride directly after a meal say in the mornings. This is just a hard time of day to eat a full meal and not blow my diet program. Is there anything out there that I can eat that will stay with me longer? That will help my training, I am one of those people who have to have something in my stomach, and can not survive on gels alone. There is alot of info out there about what to eat after a ride for recovery but not much at all about what to eat before, at least between meals.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would perhaps increase your post lunch snack to include some more carbs, perhaps add some pretzels, pita and hummus or half a whole grain bagel w/ peanut butter.

As for the riding, are you using a sports drink when you ride?

Also, you indicate you are dieting, how many calories are you cutting out? It's not unnatural to feel hungry, but ensure you aren't chopping off anymore than 500 calories per day.

·
beer is good for u
136 Posts
sprocketjockey9 said:
I would perhaps increase your post lunch snack to include some more carbs, perhaps add some pretzels, pita and hummus or half a whole grain bagel w/ peanut butter.

As for the riding, are you using a sports drink when you ride?

Also, you indicate you are dieting, how many calories are you cutting out? It's not unnatural to feel hungry, but ensure you aren't chopping off anymore than 500 calories per day.
Agreed, your initial post makes me wonder how much you were eating for lunch/breakfast also. I only ride about 10-12 hrs a week and am running a calorie defecit myself, but on the days I ride after lunch I make sure to eat a healthy amount and refuel a bit after but cut short my dinners. All my dinners are cut short for that matter really.

GL and hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hungry? depending on your ride that could help keep you rmind off of the pain your legs are in:p.

well from what i am reading you want to stay 'full'. Have tried bread yet? eat two slices or one and it should fill you quite nicely

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure it is not hydration related I am usually at about 1 gallon of fluids the day before a ride. I think after some more checking around and the info I got here that I am limiting my calories in the AM to much on day that I ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.