Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious as to which powder nutritional supplement is favored between tailwind and hammer

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I'm liking what I see from Tailwind. I just got their sample pack and can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Used Tailwind on my first 100+ mile endurance gravel race last weekend and it was great. I am very pleased and will continue to use it. Took me 9.36 hrs to finish and I only used about 3 gu packs along with the tailwind and next big ride I will be trying it without anything else. I used the caffeinated.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I've done great for 10 years with a mix of Hammer Heed, Perpetuem, and Gatorade. A little caffeine for the last 3 hours, too (flat Mountain Dew seems to suit me).

Infinite also seems extremely well regarded by many on this forum, and gives you the ability to customize a lot of parameters.

No experience with Tailwind.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've been on the Skratch for about a year now, love it. I had problems with Heed, and some of the other drink mixes, when I eat too much and top it off with a drink mix. I know that's bad to do, but sometimes you got to cram in the fuel when you can. I quit taking aid station drink mixes after using an unknown product hurt my gut enough to effect the ride. I have not changed my bad race eating but the Skratch hasn't left me with a hurting gut like some other do. I still don't take aid station products, but instead carry the small bags of Skratch in my pocket to add to aid station water to control what goes into my gut.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I've been on the Skratch for about a year now, love it. I had problems with Heed, and some of the other drink mixes, when I eat too much and top it off with a drink mix. I know that's bad to do, but sometimes you got to cram in the fuel when you can. I quit taking aid station drink mixes after using an unknown product hurt my gut enough to effect the ride. I have not changed my bad race eating but the Skratch hasn't left me with a hurting gut like some other do. I still don't take aid station products, but instead carry the small bags of Skratch in my pocket to add to aid station water to control what goes into my gut.
I think Tailwind is intended to be used as the source of on bike nutrition rather than just a hydration drink. Not sure if Skratch is the same. Tailwind suggests 2 scoops per bottle for a total of 200 calories and to consume one bottle an hour when riding longer than a couple hours. I haven't looked to much into Skratch so they may be similar...I know that they only have 80 calories per serving though. That might help for those that have GI issues with eating while riding. I plan to try it soon as the weather allows for a longer ride...hoping this coming weekend. I ordered the sample pack from Tailwind. It would be nice to not have to deal with food while riding 4+ hours.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Has anyone used products from Scratch labs?

I made the switch from HEED to Skratch about 5 months ago. I like it a lot better than the HEED.

However it is just a hydration/electrolyte replacement, but it seems to have more salt/sodium than HEED. I sweat alot during long rides and have definately noticed a cutback in the number of cramps I would get on the ride.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Recently gave CarboRocket 333 Half Evil a try. Loved it! Easy to drink, energy was great and never felt hungry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
mtbr member extraordinair
1,075 Posts
Ive been training for about a month now with tailwind. Ive done a few 4-6 hr rides so far, and I will say from my experience, Tailwind really does work. I have not yet seen how it works on a hot summer day, but I'm impressed with it so far and will continue using it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
used scratch labs the other day and was very impressed. I think I answered my own question, although eating more carbs on long rides is necessary.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think Tailwind is intended to be used as the source of on bike nutrition rather than just a hydration drink. Not sure if Skratch is the same. Tailwind suggests 2 scoops per bottle for a total of 200 calories and to consume one bottle an hour when riding longer than a couple hours. I haven't looked to much into Skratch so they may be similar...I know that they only have 80 calories per serving though. That might help for those that have GI issues with eating while riding. I plan to try it soon as the weather allows for a longer ride...hoping this coming weekend. I ordered the sample pack from Tailwind. It would be nice to not have to deal with food while riding 4+ hours.
Skratch labs is just hydration. The sugar in it isn't for energy, it helps with hydration

Dr. Allen Lim recommends for energy, take in actual food, hence his rice cakes

That's why skratch labs does not sell gels, they sell cookbooks instead

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yeah, I have the portables cookbook. Good stuff but I like the idea of drinking my nutrition on the bike. Mountain biking is different but I road bike mostly so stopping to eat or eating on the bike isn't nearly as convenient as it is on the trail where you can drop the bike and sit under a tree and eat some food. Next ride out, hopefully this weekend, I'll get to try the tailwind on a 4+ hour ride.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I'm unlike a lot of people in that I can use just about any product that's out there without any issue. I've used Hammer, Gu, Clif and Scratch and to be honest, I haven't noted a big difference in performance. Nor am I super fussy about flavor. They all seem to work for me in that they prevent bonking and cramping. Never used tailwind though but I'd guess it works fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Tailwind user here. I use it as my primary fuel source. Only problem I have is that after 5hrs I start to crave something crunchy, just for the texture.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used Hammer last year, mixed at about 1/2 strength and used gels to get the calories I wanted. Trying out some small packs of Tailwind after hearing good things.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I mix maltrodextrin, honey, water, salt, lemon juice myself. This mix offers different types of carbohydrates that has been shown to maximize carbohydrate uptake in the intestine. Uptake from the intestine is one of the major limiting steps in food carbohydrate per hour use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts