Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I Gave up Soda about a week ago, and I'm doing really good with it. But now I'm just wondering what I CAN Drink! I Do Drink LOTS of water, But What Else is Good to Drink. I'm A sucker for Green Hawaiian Punch, But I'm thinkin thats gotta go too.

I'm Really Gonna Try to lose some weight. I'm at 239 (I'm 5' 11") I would like to Get Down 170 (Thats 70 POUNDS!!!). I'm 20 Years Old and I need to make these Changes before it's too late!

·
Registered
783 Posts
It sounds hard at first but the whole idea is you need to get yourself off junk. Our society mostly produces junk food and that's what we're accustomed to eating growing up. Now if I tell you to quit the crap and drink natural fruit juices, natural tea or just plain water you'll be like.... ummm.

After awhile though junk starts to taste like junk. If I had green punch right now I'd spit it right out. Same thing for fast food, etc... You stop having it long enough and it's just overprocessed oversalted crap.

It's ashame you can't grab a healthy meal at the drive-thru at 3am, but there's plenty of food/drink out there that's good for you AND tastes great. You're just gonna have to embark on this new "religion" and pave your own way. If you find yourself wavering just go down to the local mall and look at all those pasty fatties. That's what our diet/lifestyle does to us!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I come to USA just for holidays every now and then, but I did notice exactly that. It's not really easy to get decent food over there. You have 1000s of Mcdonalds, Burger King and other junk food restaurants, but for something decent, you need to pay A LOT or you even need to be local to even find such place. But it's still possible to avoid junk food most of time, even though your "normal" food is much more processed then this what we get here.
As far as drinking... It's probably easier for me then for you, since I have never been used to drink whole bunch of artificial drinks. But I guess it's still not that hard, even though I do believe all sorts of sodas make you somehow addicted to it. So for most of times just drink water. It might be a bit strange on beginning, but water goes just fine with lunch. Then change orange flavored drinks made from who knows what, to a real orange juice. It's a bit more expensive but a lot more healthy. Florida's natural orange juices are one thing I really like in USA. Believe it or not, they actually taste better then pure orange juices we can get here.... unless I squeeze it myself from oranges :) As Deme wrote, it takes a bit to get used to this kind of life, but on the end, it's worth :) And life without visits in Mcdonalds is just as nice ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Crystal Light (Wal Mart carries some GREAT tasting versions). They come in low or no calorie varieties and really you are drinking 99.9% water. They even have single serve packets that you can pour into a 16oz bottle of water if you're on the go.

I used to drink Crystal Light regularly when I was weening myself from soda and juice, but now I drink mostly water except for the occasional diet coke when we eat out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I usually just drink tons of water, but I have come up with one good drink. Just go pick up some orange juice at the grocery store. Mix it with water about 3 parts water: 1 part OJ. You'll find that it tastes great and won't burn your throat in half when you drink it. Plus your not getting a pound of sugar in one drink that way. Real good with Ice cubes :)

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
water,1 diet lemonade ever week or so. I had quit sodas and caffine for years. now I am back to 1 a day. LAME!

but soda are nothing but empty calories! over 200 for nothing but bubbly brown sugars water.
water is my #1 drink - try to drink 8 glasses of water a day

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chocolate Rice Milk is King

It has a better, lighter consistency than soy milk and is really all natural. Just rice, cocoa, rice syrup, vegetable oil and salt in tiny amounts. Mostly made of water. Trust me. Just like Chocolate milk, even better. NOT the carob flavor though, that sucks! Also you can get stuff called Recharge that is like Gatorade but no colors or preservatives. Try mixing Gatorade with half water too. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I usually drink water, coffee, beer, and wine (not all at once). I find that I don't usually crave sweetened drinks until I have one, then I really crave it. Best not to have any sugar in liquid form.

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
Organic Fermented Grape Juice! Or Organic Fermented Grain! Or Organic Fermented Distilled Grain. Or Organic Fermented Distilled Grain Mixed W/ Fresh Lime Juice, Organic Cane Sugar and Fresh Squeezed Citrus Juices!

·
beerowulf
155 Posts
In Canada - "President's Choice" Low Sodium Club Soda

Nat said:
I usually drink water, coffee, beer, and wine (not all at once). I find that I don't usually crave sweetened drinks until I have one, then I really crave it. Best not to have any sugar in liquid form.
ditto on that. I have another suggestion - I LOVE Beer, but have found that a lot of times its not so much the beer, as the 'ritual of the beer' - frosty, bubbly, throat tingling, tinnie...

In Canada there's a store chain (Loblaw's or Real Canadian Superstore) they have a house brand called President's Choice, and they make a low sodium Club Soda. 0 calories, 0 carbs, 1% of your daily sodium by using a potassium something...anyway...

When its hot, and the club soda is chilled, put it in a can sleeve, chug it, and you might be 90% sure that you're drinking a Corona or some other summer beer. A little lime and the illusion is more complete. Buddies and I used to alternate, a beer, a club soda, a beer, a club soda. Not only good for the hydration, but good for the wallet and the paunch.( Beer is very expensive in Canada, nobody has big discounts or sales as the prices are largely set by the gov't liquor agencies).

I don't know about the regular club soda, IIRC its very high in sodium. And the others, like Tonic Water or any pop (soda, soft drink) are just over-priced sugar water..I'd rather get my sugar from fruit juice than from some glucose/fructose added to water and sold at the price of gasoline...

Cheers

dmc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.