Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Hac 4 and was reviewing the data. I'm not aerobically fit and weight 218lbs I have another 25lbs to loose. I am 39 years old. I set my upper HR limit at 180 and my lower at 133. When I look at the heart rate percentages the graph says 54% of my ride was done anaerobically and 35% was done in the base zone. From what I read this is not good for training. If I ride and do even small hills my HR goes between 150 and 175. What kind of riding should I do to improve my fittness?

Thanks in advance

Pat

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Golddr2000 said:
I just got my Hac 4 and was reviewing the data. I'm not aerobically fit and weight 218lbs I have another 25lbs to loose. I am 39 years old. I set my upper HR limit at 180 and my lower at 133. When I look at the heart rate percentages the graph says 54% of my ride was done anaerobically and 35% was done in the base zone. From what I read this is not good for training. If I ride and do even small hills my HR goes between 150 and 175. What kind of riding should I do to improve my fittness?

Thanks in advance

Pat
You should arm yourself with more pertinent data. MHR based on 220-age is basically useless. I did that and found it was 10-12 beats too low. Do some research about "zones" and realize that there are more basic ways to gauge output. For good fitness/base miles, well below anaerobic, you ought to be able to converse for the most part, while exerting at a good aerobic level. Upper aerobic level will see slightly labored breathing, but still basically able to hold a conversation. Friel has a good basic way to test your LT, which is way more useful than your MHR, and it's to go out hard as you can for 30 minutes, punch the split time button after 10 minutes, and then take the average of the remaining 20 minutes as your aprx. LT. Just searching through this forum will help a lot ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.