Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the summer I got really into biking and decided to get a road bike that I could ride just to switch it up. Well I bought a trek madone 5.2 and have ridden it twice in the last 4 months. I really don't like riding next to traffic and the only ride I like to do is that hayden bike trail, but that's only like 8 miles long. I was thinking of trading this bike for another mountain bike. I wanted a rigid air 9 to get a very different ride from my sultan. Do you think this will even be possible, or am I better off selling it. If I traded instead of selling, I think I would get better value, but I'm thinking the chances of finding someone that has the bike I want AND wants to trade for a road bike are pretty slim. Any advice? Also what is the best place to sell/trade? Craigslist or is there something better? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would list it on craigslist for MORE than you paid for it, that way you can settle for retail. Oh it will increase the value if yo u strip off all the gears and make it into a "Fixie". It also occurs to me that all road bikes are really 29ners, "RIGID FIXIE ROAD 29NER FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR AIR 9" sounds like a great headline.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
RMBnFISHERftw said:
So over the summer I got really into biking and decided to get a road bike that I could ride just to switch it up. Well I bought a trek madone 5.2 and have ridden it twice in the last 4 months. I really don't like riding next to traffic and the only ride I like to do is that hayden bike trail, but that's only like 8 miles long. I was thinking of trading this bike for another mountain bike. I wanted a rigid air 9 to get a very different ride from my sultan. Do you think this will even be possible, or am I better off selling it. If I traded instead of selling, I think I would get better value, but I'm thinking the chances of finding someone that has the bike I want AND wants to trade for a road bike are pretty slim. Any advice? Also what is the best place to sell/trade? Craigslist or is there something better? Thanks in advance
That seems like a pretty pricey bike to only ride twice. Are you new to road biking, or just don't like doing it any more? If the former, maybe you can hook up with the many biking clubs/groups around town, and do group rides to get over the "fear" (or whatever you have) of the traffic. I think the more you ride it, and with others, the more you'll start to enjoy it.

If you just don't like road riding any more.... maybe try the classifieds at roadbikereview.com? What about taking it to a LBS and seeing if they would give you instore credit?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may try taking it in....the only problem is that the only place I would want to take it would be rage or kore because I want a niner. I know a lot of people on here are pretty close with the rage and kore guys. Do you know if they even do stuff like that?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
RMBnFISHERftw said:
I may try taking it in....the only problem is that the only place I would want to take it would be rage or kore because I want a niner. I know a lot of people on here are pretty close with the rage and kore guys. Do you know if they even do stuff like that?
Javelina Cycles in Mesa sells Niners (I know the owner, but I'm really not even sure he would do an exchange), and I believe Slippery Pig does as well, and from I've been told, Eric has been willing to barter in the past. I can't speak for Kore or Rage, as I've never been to either.

Consider ebay (I've bought one bike, and sold one bike on ebay with nary a problem)?

Also, as mentioned earlier about bike clubs, etc. Might be worth a shot to see if any of these groups could email the members. Again, that's a pretty nice bike so you'll want to target those into road biking.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
RMBnFISHERftw said:
I have been riding it alot on my trainer but I have had too many close calls with cars and I don't like riding on the sidewalk
Yea, I can symphathize. It takes a certain breed to get used to road biking in Phoenix. What part of town to you live in? Up towards Fountain Hills, it's easier since I believe there are bike lanes on most of the roads. (One of my favorite rides is up through Fountain Hills through Rio Verde and then up the 9-mile hill on Dynamite. For the most part, you have a bike lane, but it does get tight on Dynamite...)

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
RMBnFISHERftw said:
I have been riding it alot on my trainer but I have had too many close calls with cars and I don't like riding on the sidewalk
check the rear tire before you take it out on the road next time - trainers tend to wear them down. I doubt you will get anywhere near what you paid, under either a sale or a trade. 50-60% maybe. If you are serious about getting rid of it, you will do better if you brace yourself for the loss in value.

·
Something goes here...
2,088 Posts
I'd keep it. MTB in the summer here sux monkey nutz. Much easier to ride from the house at 5AM than hall the MTB somewhere at 3:30 or 4.

What part of town do you live in? There are lots of good roadie routes if you know them. I hate riding without a bike lane here and rarely do. So look for lanes or routes or hook up with some of us MTB'rs who also roadie.

Some will never be comfortable with the road and that's understandable but it's always nice to be able to throw done 30 when time is limited.

Or as mentioned, sell on eBay. But this is not a good time to be selling stuff but you already know about losing money on bike sales so....

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
I'd keep it. MTB in the summer here sux monkey nutz. Much easier to ride from the house at 5AM than hall the MTB somewhere at 3:30 or 4.

What part of town do you live in? There are lots of good roadie routes if you know them. I hate riding without a bike lane here and rarely do. So look for lanes or routes or hook up with some of us MTB'rs who also roadie.

Some will never be comfortable with the road and that's understandable but it's always nice to be able to throw done 30 when time is limited.

Or as mentioned, sell on eBay. But this is not a good time to be selling stuff but you already know about losing money on bike sales so....
I agree with Crash on all accounts. Try to get used to riding the roads, it's a great break from the trails. I much prefer MTB, but road bike has really helped my fitness and overall confidence on two wheels. Like you I'm very nervous around traffic, so I have sought out routes that have marked bike routes. That doesn't necessarily keep me safer, just more room to maneuver, which makes me less nervous. Like others have said, try to find a group. There are lots of groups formed or forming right now, for example, to train for MS150. Anyway, that's a great bike you have, it would be better for you to get to use it!

Bob

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
I would also say to keep it...with the way things are right now you would be lucky to get 50-60% of what you paid for it....
Try a few local group road rides. Riding in a larger pack lets the car traffic notice you quicker....and you may learn a few routes that are road bike friendly avoiding most traffic.
Good luck....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
RMBnFISHERftw said:
Silent Sundays on South Mountain, once a month, the road is closed.

http://phoenix.gov/parks/hikesoth.html

Sunday mornings before about 9:00 AM the traffic is usually pretty quiet everywhere.

GABA Phoenix meets Saturday mornings at Kiwanis parks. You won't be invisible to cars if you stay inside a pack of 200 riders.

I'm sure that if you sell the bike you'll make someone very happy, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.