Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ritchey alloy stem on alloy steerer. Cleaned with IPA, torqued to spec, but it stills slips. Not when I crash but when I do a slow speed manoeuvres that demand lots of force.

I read the previous threads and there was no consensus what to do. Some people recommended carbon paste. Some people recommended sanding the inner surface of the stem. Some people said that new stem is the only solution. I was thinking about bearing mounting compound but nobody suggested it. I also read some installation manuals of stems and some manufacturers explicitly demanded that stem must be completely clean and grease, paste or compound should be used.

What are your experiences? What do you suggest?

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Carbon paste.

That stem's grip is likely compromised. I know several cases where a part held tight, but 1 strong impact worked it loose, and it never tightened securely again, able to be realigned with a sharp yank. I recently had this happen to a lock-on grip, and it was rotating way too easily for my tastes, so I used "carbon paste" (some pink FSA stuff in a clear packet) and it restored its grip solidly. Got myself a tube of Finish Line Fiber Grip to have handy around--way cheaper than replacement parts, and it's a shame to throw such stuff away when there's a convenient repair like this.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
A stem should grip the steerer very tightly. No way I'd use paste for a slipping stem! Your stem is oversized, or steer tube undersized.

Shimming may work, but if it's the stem I would replace it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The only time I had chronic stem-slip, I learned something new. I had been running my stem just a touch too high on the steerer, so that the top bolt wasn't able to clamp down on enough material to stay tight forever. As soon as I pulled it off to look at it, I saw the problem (until then I had been just retightening it every few rides). Probably doesn't apply in your case, but it's one factor that can cause slippage.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my case I already have some spacers on top of the stem. Trying to find some 70mm Megaforce2, but everybody seems to be out of stock in Europe.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
A slipping stem is a major safety liability. I'd try carbon paste but if that does not solve it 100% immediately, throw that stem away before it causes a serious injury.
....agree. in saying that, ritchey stuff is usually to spec. id also get some callipers on the steerer, just in case.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must clarify that this combo - Manitou Magnum fork and Ritchey 220 degree classic stem worked flawlessy for two years. This slipping just started recently.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I must clarify that this combo - Manitou Magnum fork and Ritchey 220 degree classic stem worked flawlessy for two years. This slipping just started recently.
That does not change my answer. The stem is no longer effective for clamping on the fork, so it is done. Stems don't last forever.

It's possible that your torque wrench needs to be recalibrate or the fork steerer is worn down. Barring those possiblities, you can try carbon paste and if that does not work, replace that stem before it causes a crash and serious injury.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carbon paste made it better, but did not fix it completely. So I got Syntace Megaforce2 stem. It has slightly smaller inner diameter and fits very tightly. Plus 5mm bolts that allow to tighten to higher torque. Will try it out tomorrow.

BTW it looks like Megaforce2 will be replaced with Megaforce3. The stem installation manual on Syntace site already had hints about it. It seems to have some special mounting hardware so watch out for this. And Megaforce2 is out of stock in most lengths in Europe.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Carbon paste made it better, but did not fix it completely. So I got Syntace Megaforce2 stem. It has slightly smaller inner diameter and fits very tightly. Plus 5mm bolts that allow to tighten to higher torque. Will try it out tomorrow.

BTW it looks like Megaforce2 will be replaced with Megaforce3. The stem installation manual on Syntace site already had hints about it. It seems to have some special mounting hardware so watch out for this. And Megaforce2 is out of stock in most lengths in Europe.
Youve fixed already, but was going to say if it worked previously but started slipping and wont stay now, something is wrong and id replace the stem. Possibly crack developing, something “stretched”, bad bolts, something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts