Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first MTB (if you could call this early no-suspension bike a MTB) was an all aluminum TREK 7000 from ca 1993. The bike was always a little too big for me and only saw street and rails-to-trails type riding. It has since been replaced with a FS bike.
The bike is in fantastic condition (hasn't been ridden since 2004 when it was last cleaned and lubed - otherwise it has been sitting on the rack on the wall of one garage after another). I've been lugging this bike with me through several moves with the thought to turn it into a training/ stationary bike - I even went so far as to put a trainer-friendly street slick on the rear.

However, I have a great Precor eliptical for cardio, and I'm questioning how much (more) I really want to spend on this bike - especially with an ongoing "build-up" of a new FS bike (2008 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon), plus a different current primary FS bike (2006 Cannondale Scalpel)
(3 bikes - 1 weekend warrior :eekster: )

Therefore I have a couple of questions:
Does this bike have any value (for sale or donation)?
If so, how much value?
Is it a good/ bad idea to spend more on this bike to turn it into an indoor trainer?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you're willing to donate it, there are a number of programs similar to recycle-a-bicycle www.recycleabicycle.org that refurbish used bicycles, either for charity or as part of children's developement programs. Check around locally and see if there's one, or possibly a church based program which can give your old ride a new life.

Alternatively, consider changing it to a beater bike and using it for errands around town.

Lastly, if you decide to use a trainer instead of the elliptical, making this into a "trainer" bike shouldn't cost you much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you live in town, I second the "beater bike" suggestion. The uglier the better. If you ever want to run errands on your bike, you don't want to be chaining one of your shiny new rides up outside the grocery store.

If you want a bike trainer, it would be a good way to extend the life of this bike. You have a cardio machine, but logging miles on a trainer in the winter (or heat of the summer) could help keep you in bike shape in the off season.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your feeling generous you could donate it to a local Boys/Girls club. Or you might have a buddy that could use it. Check at work/neighborhood and see if anyone is interested. Someone might have a kid that wants a bike.
If you want to make a dime on it list it on Ebay or Craigslist. Maybe someone out there is wanting to fix there old one and you have the parts they need. Ya never know. Or maybe a local bike shop does consignment stuff.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
bike toss......;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about this thread!

Managed to Craigslist it to a really nice school-teacher for a great price (for him) & I threw in a floor-pump.

Thanks for all the ideas. I would have used it as a trainer but it was too large for me to begin with - now that I'm on a proper size bike my arms have stopped falling asleep while riding!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just decided to do the same thing with my Rockhopper. I put it up on craigslist for $120 and have already had several inquires about it. Would be nice to keep it but get tired of is taking up space in the garage.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
keep it and if you have a friend that might be interested in mountain biking you lend it out and hopefully they get hooked and get into the sport.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts