Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a used Hardrock Sport for cheap, and it had a RST Capa TL on it. :skep: I've just ridden it around the yard a few times, and it feels like it's a little sticky in its travel. From what I've seen, this fork probably isn't even worth messing with. I could try and take it apart and lube things up, but I could also just buy a different fork.

Now I might be doing some commuting with this bike, so I think it'd be best if I had a lockout. I'll also keep it for a spare trail bike for me, or something for a friend to borrow, etc. So I'm thinking of what I can pick up for cheap that will treat me well. 100mm of travel or so is fine, and I'd like it to be light.

Now I've seen Magura Asgards for sale that seem to meet the requirements, but I know very little about them. I've seen some for $199 new that come with a shock pump, seems like a pretty good deal. Does anyone know what they weigh though?

Also, I've had my eye on some used RS SID teams. Those things look stupid light, which I like. I'm hoping to find a used one for $200 or less.

I almost picked up a MZ comp, but decided that it wasn't really what I was looking for. Also, I don't know exactly what ETA does, but my understanding is that it doesn't function as a normal lockout, and wouldn't really suit my road rides very well.

Is there a different direction I should be heading? Comments?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm tipping the scales at 140, and I won't be gaining anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm gonna use the bike to commute, and as a backup for some XC or all mountain. I'll probably be using it to try and learn some tricks too, who knows. I probably won't be hucking it or taking any drops, so abuse will be minimal.

I must say that the Magura is looking pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Marathon or something like that either though. Too bad the Magura is so much heavier than the SID. Anyone have any other ideas or some sweet deals I haven't found yet?

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
PVFJR said:
Well I'm tipping the scales at 140, and I won't be gaining anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm gonna use the bike to commute, and as a backup for some XC or all mountain. I'll probably be using it to try and learn some tricks too, who knows. I probably won't be hucking it or taking any drops, so abuse will be minimal.

I must say that the Magura is looking pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Marathon or something like that either though. Too bad the Magura is so much heavier than the SID. Anyone have any other ideas or some sweet deals I haven't found yet?
SIDS are just wrong on a hardrock.
I'd be getting manitou Blacks or Fox vanillas for that bike. The Maguras are something I have no experience with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it because of the beefy frame and the lightness of the fork? Or is there some other sacrilege I don't know about? :p

I hadn't really considered Fox, I just assumed it would be a lot of coin for those. I've always heard they had a bad rep for their seals too.

I'm still looking for a good deal on a Black. Any suggestions on something less than 4 lbs? Or is weight just something I should forget about?

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
PVFJR said:
Is it because of the beefy frame and the lightness of the fork? Or is there some other sacrilege I don't know about? :p

I hadn't really considered Fox, I just assumed it would be a lot of coin for those. I've always heard they had a bad rep for their seals too.

I'm still looking for a good deal on a Black. Any suggestions on something less than 4 lbs? Or is weight just something I should forget about?
Weight matters most when you're talking about it. 4lb is a nice sweet spot for a 120-130mm fork, not too heavy but nice and solid feeling.

The hardrock is a very solid frame, it fills the gap between normal XC bikes and the heavier/stronger dirt jumping frames. To put a noodle like the SID on it is just a horrible mismatch. It's like putting spinners and low profile road tyres on a 4wd.

Heard of Enduro Fork Seals? They'll solve all your seal issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dougal said:
It's like putting spinners and low profile road tyres on a 4wd.
That analogy speaks volumes to me, you couldn't have picked a better one. If you saw how ugly my five trucks were, you'd understand.

I guess I can sacrifice a pound of weight for the sake of not having a noodle on my bike. I think the fox's are a bit out of my price range though. I'd like to keep it around $200. I'm done with the SID idea though. Thanks for your help.I'll have to see what else I can find out about the magura.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but my hardrock is my first mountain bike, and I don't know too much about all the different types of shocks fox, rock shox, etc. I'll be reading along hoping you draw a conclusion I could use also. :thumbsup:

As I've read on here already, "any fork would be better than that RST", what fork should I avoid if I wanted to stick around $200?

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
With a budget in the $200 ballpark, don't get too caught up with weight. I would say go used, and save enough money in your budget for an oil change and new seals. Make sure the stanchions aren't too torn up as the metal will shred the seals. Marzocchis are the most reliable long term. Early foxes, like 2002s, were plauged by issues, so stay away from those, you could potentially score a vanilla in that price range, and that's a great fork. A used Reba, Marathon, Atom, older Z series are all great forks. New, MX comp.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
PVFJR said:
Ok, right now it seems like a toss up between this Black:
Manitou Black

and this Asgard:
Magura Asgard

Any input? They both seem like good deals.
You'll love either one. You should get the Magura and tell us all about it. Hardly anyone rides them around here and they are said to be good forks.

_MK

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
PVFJR said:
That analogy speaks volumes to me, you couldn't have picked a better one. If you saw how ugly my five trucks were, you'd understand.

I guess I can sacrifice a pound of weight for the sake of not having a noodle on my bike. I think the fox's are a bit out of my price range though. I'd like to keep it around $200. I'm done with the SID idea though. Thanks for your help.I'll have to see what else I can find out about the magura.
Check out the used marketplace. You'd have your pick of damn near anything for $US200.

I don't know where DGC is currently working at, but if you pick up a second hand Fox, send it to him for oil and seals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
Commit a ritual sacrifice of your RST, and then buy the Magura. They're great, and the Black is only decent.
I've been thinking about that actually. We did that a little while back with my buddies magazine. He had one that kept jamming up his Kimber .45, so we decided to lay it on the ground, get out my '78 chevy 1-ton, and power brake over the top of the magazine. Shredded it nicely. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dougal said:
Check out the used marketplace. You'd have your pick of damn near anything for $US200.

I don't know where DGC is currently working at, but if you pick up a second hand Fox, send it to him for oil and seals.
Well it seems like the magura deal has been going for quite a while, maybe that'll give me some time to look around. In the end, I think I'd rather have something that wouldn't need any work done to it before use. New would be a little less hassle. I'm not really down for sending my stuff off to someone else either. I prefer to learn to do things myself. It's the same with my automotive projects. I usually have no idea what I'm doing before I tear into something, but it's all good in the end.

But if anyone finds a nice deal on something used, let me know. I'm open for a few ideas still. I may just get the magura if something else doesn't spark my interest soon.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
PVFJR said:
I'm not really down for sending my stuff off to someone else either. I prefer to learn to do things myself. It's the same with my automotive projects. I usually have no idea what I'm doing before I tear into something, but it's all good in the end.
If you can deal with automotive stuff, you should have no problem replacing seals and oil in a MTB fork.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's reassuring. I just gotta dig into one to see how it works. They're kinda talked about on the forums like they're the great unknown. People make it sound hard, but I think it just may be that this crowd is a little more hesitant to do something mechanical than others I'm used to. I figure it's gotta at least be easier to work on than the transmissions I've torn apart.:p

·
Magurified
483 Posts
PVFJR said:
Now I've seen Magura Asgards for sale that seem to meet the requirements, but I know very little about them. I've seen some for $199 new that come with a shock pump, seems like a pretty good deal. Does anyone know what they weigh though?
Mine tip the scales at 1650g with cut steerer. However, mine are 2004 non-lockout 100mm. They seem to be heavier with lockout.

They're a great fork IMO... depending on your weight they may need a little oil tuning, but if you're in the 150-250# range they should be ok.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it looks like magura lists it at 1690g uncut. http://www.magurausa.com/mountainbike/frontrear/asgard.html
I'm not in the 150-250 range either. But I should be fully loaded with a topped off hydrapack. :D I'll have to see how it rides. What kind of oil do they come with, and what might I switch to?

·
Magurified
483 Posts
PVFJR said:
Well it looks like magura lists it at 1690g uncut. http://www.magurausa.com/mountainbike/frontrear/asgard.html
I'm not in the 150-250 range either. But I should be fully loaded with a topped off hydrapack. :D I'll have to see how it rides. What kind of oil do they come with, and what might I switch to?
I'm 130#, and find that it runs very much better for me on 15wt oil than the stock 20wt. with 20wt I found the compression too slow, whereas it's about right on 15wt. The rebound was ok with 20wt if I dialled the adjuster all the way out. Now I run the adjuster most of the way in and it's fine.

See:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203699
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=179525
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=188623
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=183341

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.