Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have about $140 to spend... I will this weekend anyways.

What should I get? I ride DJ, DH, FR, Urban... basically everything.. except park.

I have a few things I'm considering...

1. Fix nitro RC truck for $60, then new rotor and adapter for front wheel for around $50.
2. Buy new front rotor and adapter, 185mm Avid on DJ3. Then, rebuild fork with new seals, a travel extension kit, springs, and get oil from a friend.

#2 sounds better to me but a little more work involved. I kinda need some stiffer springs.. the rotor is a must.

I also would like suggestions on rotors. This Avid has been nothing but trouble and Hayes have been less troublesome in reviews so they are preferred.. I need a 185mm rotor and adapter for a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is on a 35lb Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc.

Open to other suggestions too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
standard235 said:
Well, I have about $140 to spend... I will this weekend anyways.

What should I get? I ride DJ, DH, FR, Urban... basically everything.. except park.

I have a few things I'm considering...

1. Fix nitro RC truck for $60, then new rotor and adapter for front wheel for around $50.
2. Buy new front rotor and adapter, 185mm Avid on DJ3. Then, rebuild fork with new seals, a travel extension kit, springs, and get oil from a friend.

#2 sounds better to me but a little more work involved. I kinda need some stiffer springs.. the rotor is a must.

I also would like suggestions on rotors. This Avid has been nothing but trouble and Hayes have been less troublesome in reviews so they are preferred.. I need a 185mm rotor and adapter for a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is on a 35lb Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc.

Open to other suggestions too.
"Well, I have about $140 to spend... I will this weekend anyways." I know what you could do with it, and it would be a really nice and thoughtful decision and i would appreciate it. GIVE ME THE MONEY! :-D

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tis what I thought.

Anyone have any idea on how much it will cost? I guess my front rotor warping all the time was because I was riding DH/FR/fast urban on a 160mm rotor and I weighed around 185.

So I guess I could go with an Avid rotor. So $30 for rotor, $10 for adapter, $23 for the seals, $11 for the oil, $4.50 for the syringe, and $8.50 for Stanchion Lube for $46.XX plus shipping.

Now, then I need new springs and the travel kit. I talked to my LBS and they have to call Marzocchi. Anyone have an idea on what it costs for a 100mm-130mm kit and xtra firm springs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
wow, i used to be obsessed with nitro RC. I think I had about 4 or 5 cars. The latest was a Serpent 705 with a sirio .12 evo 5-port ---completely decked out. That Sold...Now I own another Traxxas s-maxx...

Yeh go for the bike stuff, in the long run it will make you alot happier- - - and like ironhorse said, just keep saving instead of looking for a quick fix, it will really pay off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
must be burning a hole in ur pocket i say save up more money and stuff till u need or want something......i say ride ur bike how it is!!!!!!!1

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I need the front rotor. The rubbing bugs the crap out of me.

I want a little more power up front too because it warps all the time. It got bent on a concrete wall... riding on a ledge of concrete about 3ft tall and 4in wide. I usually make it but I hit a large rock and bike went to the right, I went to the left. 4in drop on right, 3 ft on left. Bent the crap out of the rotor. Bent it back a bit but it rubs and squeaks.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Change of heart. Dawn on the rotors and I have more power than before and no squealing.

Went to a new LBS today and everything there is sooo much cheaper.

I got a Camelback HAWG... and a set of Kona Jackshit pedals. KICK ASS.

When I get my money, if I have $100, then I'm going down and buying a new stem and bars. 2" rise and 31.8mm clamp.

Stem is 40mm long and 31.8mm. Truvativ Husselfelt.

Got to ride a Kona Coiler, way undersprung for me though. $60 for the pedals and $80 for the Camelback. Sales guy trying to talk my dad into the Mule instead of an off brand, then he saw accessories and knows I wanna carry tools and stuff so I got the HAWG. Happy New Years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.