Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so my best friend bought a 04 p2 a while back. he rides moderatly, mostly dj,trail and some downhill stuff. the p2 he got was stock and its pretty dead right now. he has some money saved up. he has 700 dollars and he is just about to go get a kona shred. he just doenst really want to spend a lot of money on the p bike, just because really, when hes done upgrading it, its still not going to be worth much. he doesnt have a job currently, so money is an issue

the problem: what his plan was, was to buy a kona shred, then sell the p2 to buy some nicer parts for the kona, such as a new fork + some wheels maybe. figure hes probably going to get about 3-4 hundred for the p2. what ive been telling him is that he should just ride the kona stock till something needs replaceing. and to keep the p2 since its an okay frame to build a budget bike off of.

in this situation what would you all do :( I feel bad because the p2 fell completly apart on him, but the p2 he got was ridden really hard....so it was allready really floppy.

should he maybe keep the p2 and get the shred, and if he has to sell some of the parts from the p2 to beef up the shred ? he really doesnt want to put any money into the p2 anymore, because their just cash pigs.

sorry for this being so long ... but what should he do ? :( advice, pictures, different ideas welcome.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
ya, just my opinion get rid of the p2 and get whatever he can for it. don't get a shred, get a stuff just for the few better parts that it has like the fork. then use any more money he has to upgrade more.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Deja-vu?

that_one_dude said:
alright, so my best friend bought a 04 p2 a while back. he rides moderatly, mostly dj,trail and some downhill stuff. the p2 he got was stock and its pretty dead right now. he has some money saved up. he has 700 dollars and he is just about to go get a kona shred. he just doenst really want to spend a lot of money on the p bike, just because really, when hes done upgrading it, its still not going to be worth much. he doesnt have a job currently, so money is an issue

the problem: what his plan was, was to buy a kona shred, then sell the p2 to buy some nicer parts for the kona, such as a new fork + some wheels maybe. figure hes probably going to get about 3-4 hundred for the p2. what ive been telling him is that he should just ride the kona stock till something needs replaceing. and to keep the p2 since its an okay frame to build a budget bike off of.

in this situation what would you all do :( I feel bad because the p2 fell completly apart on him, but the p2 he got was ridden really hard....so it was allready really floppy.

should he maybe keep the p2 and get the shred, and if he has to sell some of the parts from the p2 to beef up the shred ? he really doesnt want to put any money into the p2 anymore, because their just cash pigs.

sorry for this being so long ... but what should he do ? :( advice, pictures, different ideas welcome.
Didn't this same basic scenario get posted the other day by Todd? Pretty scary.......

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Why the guilty conscience?

todd_freeride said:
what ? just because someone elses P.2 falls apart, then it has to be me ? i'm not sure what your trying to say here ...
Seems as though you think I'm accusing you of something.I'm not. I'm pointing out exactly what I pointed out. It's scary the similarities in the situations. If you don't see them here's the summary:

Bought a P2. Rode it, trashed it. Wants a Shred. Doesn't have a job. Wants advice on whether he should sell the P2.

I'm pretty sure this is the theme of both posts. Perhaps it's a phenomenon esxclusive to P2 owners. Maybe you should start a support group or something, I don't know. :rolleyes:

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Seems as though you think I'm accusing you of something.I'm not. I'm pointing out exactly what I pointed out. It's scary the similarities in the situations. If you don't see them here's the summary:

Bought a P2. Rode it, trashed it. Wants a Shred. Doesn't have a job. Wants advice on whether he should sell the P2.

I'm pretty sure this is the theme of both posts. Perhaps it's a phenomenon esxclusive to P2 owners. Maybe you should start a support group or something, I don't know. :rolleyes:
I dunno, I think that all of the stock P.2's fall apart. I asked a lot of my friends, most of them have owned a P.2 or P.1 and they said that the parts didnt last them a month.

figure that, yea... its a really cheap bike and for those who dont have a lot of money its a good option. the difference in situation for me and that_one_dude is that his friend had'nt had his P. for long before it fell apart. I made mine last 2 seasons.

well tha sad part now is that the 06 P.2 wont fall apart quickly, but you have to pay a lot bigger of a price for the bike :(

it was the best bike for your buck at the time, lots of people bought them and trashed them, thus a lot of trashed P.2s

I think thats whats going on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.