Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What to keep ?

• Sell the Dropoff, keep the splice and be smooth and have great dampening

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • sell the splice, along with the wheel, have crap dampening and have to buy a 20mm

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • possibly buy a cheap fork just to throw on there and have the best of bolth worlds

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other ! if so, please list.

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I've come across a wierd situation here. like. I'm going to be selling my 04 Mountain cycle Rumble. as a complete bike. now I want to get some pretty good cash for it. not just selling it frame only.

pretty much, theres two forks that I can sell it with.

2005 130mm 20mm through axle Drop Off Comp (used very rarely)
--
2005 Manitou Splice Comp 130mm standard Dropout (used twice so far)

bolth are pretty nice forks. the Splice despite what people say, really is a super nice trail fork (might talk to manitou about a lockout option though) and the Dropoff can pretty easily be used for trail. the Manitou has weight to its advantages, it being 4.1 pounds but the zocchi has a real strong strength advantage.

but heres the deal. I really dont want to dish out a lot of cash. I dont want to be off my bike for a while. and I dont have a 20mm wheel laying around that I could take off and put on the ironhorse. last time I tryed out the drop off I didnt really like it as much. I think SSV is pretty bad compaired to Fluid Flow. the ironhorse is pretty much going to be my AM/Trail/FR bike.

but back to selling. if I sell the mountain cycle with the splice. I can include a front wheel and brake, possibly bringing in more cash or I could sell it with the dropoff (wich people might think is a better fork) but there wouldent really be a front wheel or brake ...wich to do ?

keep the splice on the IH and not ride it as hard, or keep the drop off, have crap dampening, but not have to worry about what I hit at all ? there is one more possibility I am considering. if my MC doesnt really get to my desired asking price ... I might just buy something off ebay, like a EXR pro or rockshox psylo to slap on there to sell with the wheel and brake.

thanks for all your help.

Attachments

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, but then I have to have my rim laced to a different hub. its going to cost me so much $$. plus the SSV has to be the worst dampening ever. I'd rather ride a MZ comp than that fork

G

·
todd_freeride said:
yea, but then I have to have my rim laced to a different hub. its going to cost me so much $$. plus the SSV has to be the worst dampening ever. I'd rather ride a MZ comp than that fork
lol well then get rid of it.....

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
todd_freeride said:
then why would you ask???? you have your answer already

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The Drop Off is honestly the worst fork i have ever ridden. I'de rather ride a rigid fork over that piece of $hit.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imperial said:
You wouldent,ive used a couple of MZ comp,the droff off's are loads better.

If your not doing to much heavy riding keep the splice,but i would'nt be jumping on them myself.No way.
yea, not planning on jumping the splice. the MZ's are okay ... just I like the feel of a simple elastomer fork compared to SSV. like with SSV it only works well on certain forks. like my 66VF the SSV dampening was actually acceptable on it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a similar situation:::: Just bought a Demo 9 came with a marz, bomber 888 VF.
Thinking of selling that.
I have a boxxer race 05 (?) Same 200mm of suspension.
what do you think

888VF sold as brand new
or
boxxer team as used

what should i keep

·
Registered
83 Posts
ratmfreak99 said:
I have a similar situation:::: Just bought a Demo 9 came with a marz, bomber 888 VF.
Thinking of selling that.
I have a boxxer race 05 (?) Same 200mm of suspension.
what do you think

888VF sold as brand new
or
boxxer team as used

what should i keep
sell both and get a used 40

·
Registered
123 Posts
todd_freeride said:
hey guys, I've come across a wierd situation here. like. I'm going to be selling my 04 Mountain cycle Rumble. as a complete bike. now I want to get some pretty good cash for it. not just selling it frame only.

pretty much, theres two forks that I can sell it with.

2005 130mm 20mm through axle Drop Off Comp (used very rarely)
--
2005 Manitou Splice Comp 130mm standard Dropout (used twice so far)

bolth are pretty nice forks. the Splice despite what people say, really is a super nice trail fork (might talk to manitou about a lockout option though) and the Dropoff can pretty easily be used for trail. the Manitou has weight to its advantages, it being 4.1 pounds but the zocchi has a real strong strength advantage.

but heres the deal. I really dont want to dish out a lot of cash. I dont want to be off my bike for a while. and I dont have a 20mm wheel laying around that I could take off and put on the ironhorse. last time I tryed out the drop off I didnt really like it as much. I think SSV is pretty bad compaired to Fluid Flow. the ironhorse is pretty much going to be my AM/Trail/FR bike.

but back to selling. if I sell the mountain cycle with the splice. I can include a front wheel and brake, possibly bringing in more cash or I could sell it with the dropoff (wich people might think is a better fork) but there wouldent really be a front wheel or brake ...wich to do ?

keep the splice on the IH and not ride it as hard, or keep the drop off, have crap dampening, but not have to worry about what I hit at all ? there is one more possibility I am considering. if my MC doesnt really get to my desired asking price ... I might just buy something off ebay, like a EXR pro or rockshox psylo to slap on there to sell with the wheel and brake.

thanks for all your help.
Sell both get something better....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts